Home Forums Explore Subjects Illustration Illustrations I have no idea what to do with

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hey all.

I’ve been working on some drawings recently but I have no idea what to do with them. The dream would be to have steady freelance work, but I’m not sure which market to look into or what kind of work I could get. Any critiques, advice, etc is much appreciated

llawrence

Hello, Monkey. Don’t fret about the lack of replies, this can be a pretty quiet forum sometimes.

Your work looks highly conceptual, so I might recommend editorial illustration. When you have to come up with an image that illustrates the idea or the theme of an article, you’ve gotta be able to interpret and concept well. That’s a weakness of mine, but it looks like it’s a strength of yours. I’d consider it.

Hello, Monkey. Don’t fret about the lack of replies, this can be a pretty quiet forum sometimes.

Your work looks highly conceptual, so I might recommend editorial illustration. When you have to come up with an image that illustrates the idea or the theme of an article, you’ve gotta be able to interpret and concept well. That’s a weakness of mine, but it looks like it’s a strength of yours. I’d consider it.

Thank you so much for the help! I’ve been slowly building up a physical portfolio to start shopping around, and I think I’ve found my first targets. Also, I had no idea there was a critique section to this website (just joined) so I apologize. But this is helpful. Thanks again!

What about a graphic novel? Look at Neil Gaiman to see what he’s done.

I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born
        - Ronald Reagan

I dipped my toe into graphic novels in the past…I was never really into comics growing up so it was difficult to really get my heart into it unfortunately, that being said if I was given a written story I think I could get into it more than attempting writing and illustrating one by myself. I’ve just been finding cafes in my area that allow me to hang my stuff on their walls for a percentage of profits and pray commissions start trickling through hahahah

Shia Harju

Totally agree. You can choose to have graphic novels as your side hustle. If you are into comics, you’ll even combine profit with pleasure! If you want a few tips on how to combine this freelance work with your regular one, here’s a good article – https://www.format.com/magazine/resources/art/side-hustle-tips

Totally agree. You can choose to have graphic novels as your side hustle. If you are into comics, you’ll even combine profit with pleasure! If you want a few tips on how to combine this freelance work with your regular one, here’s a good article – [url]https://www.format.com/magazine/resources/art/side-hustle-tips[/url]

This is great, thanks! Since my last post I’ve started getting into wall murals, I’ve always been attracted to large scale art so I finally found a place that lets me ink up their wall. I have some posts on my instagram @fivetoothmonkey. Sharpie art 4 lyfe!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.