Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Waterfall Cove

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Artchrispy

Hi This is 12×16. Comments /crits welcome. I may lighten the underside shadow in the foreground boulder. Also there is a small pile of pebbles that may get painted over? Does the water look too much like antifreeze? Its a little more green irl. Hard to get a good photo.
        Thanks for looking.

Christophervasil.com

gaykir

I like this. The only thing bothering me are the two largest boulders in the front left foreground. I find them distracting. But I love the cliffs and the foliage cascading down. I think you probably know the issues and will resolve it without difficulty. I trust your judgement. The water actually doesn’t bother me.

http://gaylekirbyart.blogspot.com/

Katie Black

This is just wonderful!! One of your best and it looks very professionally done.

I love the water, yes it is intensely and insanely turquoise but so what!! that’s why I like it.

If I had to crit anything it would be the boulders..if you look closely they all look like they have a cream frosting topping..so maybe a tiny tiny tweak of those and that’s it in my opinion :clap:

Katie Black Fine Art

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

Artchrispy

Thanks Gayle and Katie. :) I just reworked the boulders. I’m not ready to evict them just yet :) The only other thing I can maybe do to them is make them reddish brown like the cliffs, or maybe spray paint some ‘Jim :heart: Lisa’ graffiti. :) Here’s the update:

Christophervasil.com

Some lovely work here!
                    I’d just settle those rocks into more pebbles – they’ll also act as a link to stop the rocks being isolated.
                    I like the colours of the water but I’d have thought the water dropping down would create a mini-maelstrom at the bottom!!! …. so, some ripple effect?

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Chris, this is powerful stuff. Really a good painting.

Maureen has made a good suggestion. I have an alternative, though. Go with one or two more big rocks in that corner. Position them so they suggest a triangle with its apex pointing to the base of the falls. The right most rock is a great shape.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

This is very nice. Maybe the shape of the rock on the left is just too unusual and kind of distracting.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                    Every painting is a new adventure.

cem

Overall a nice painting. I would maybe soften the edges on the big rocks rounding the shape a bit. IMO it need ripples in the water, the color doesn’t bother me at all.

Cindy
                        "Earth laughs in flowers."
                        ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Grampy

The foliage and the cliff face look great. And I like the colours, but I think the water needs a little movement.
                            Steve.

Steve

Never regret doing what puts smiles on faces

Katie Black

This looks great!

Katie Black Fine Art

Dcam
                                    maryinasia

love the way you painted the cliffs

Artchrispy

Thanks Maureen Michelle Cindy, Katie, Grampy Derek and Mary!

Here’s where I ended up. I changed the weird shape of the left rock, broke it up into strata and angled it to point more toward the waterfall as you all suggested. I added a little water disturbance. (Oddly enough the reference photo showed no disturbance but it may have been a time lapse making the water look thicker that it was in real life.) I also fiddled with some of the smaller rocks. Thanks for all the input!

Christophervasil.com

Katie Black

easily one of your very best.

Katie Black Fine Art

dave woody

Great picture. I enjoy seeing evolution too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.