Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Palette Talk Kitchen Reno – It’s an Adventure!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 107 total)
  • Author

My Mother passed away a little over a year ago. She left a little money to my Sister and I and I’ve decided to put my small inheritance to good use. We have lived in our home for more than 31 years and have absolutely despised my kitchen. The cupboards are formica that we painted. The counter top is a butcher block laminate that was chipped and marked from the day we moved in. The back splash tile was a mustard floral. Because we needed more storage, we moved 3 portable cabinets into the space. It’s just been awful.

Mother doesn’t know (or maybe she does) that she’s funding this renovation and it’s one of the best things ever to happen here. I cook a lot. And working in my kitchen as it is, has always been something of a challenge.

I’m going to share my journey with you.

We sought three quotes from various kitchen design companies. That is a process that takes a lot of time, meetings, measurings and more meetings. We finally decided upon one of them and ordered the cabinets.

This is the final design:

This set of cupboards and the new fridge will be against the wall that separates the kitchen and dining room. That door under the bulkhead opens to a little crawl space that I use for bulk storage under a stairway.

This is the view from the opening into the kitchen. It’s like a small hallway that will require no work except for a new coat of paint. Anyway… that set of tall cupboards becomes my new pantry. The corner cabinet to the right will have swing out shelving. The cupboard in the left corner will hold our trash can.

I’ve never owned a dishwasher. This one will sit to the right of the double sink. Between it and the stove is a cupboard that will house all my baking sheets and pizza pans. This design does not illustrate the built in cutting board that we’ve agreed upon which will fit right in the counter top over the dishwasher. The new fan and hood will be vented outside.

I have a lot of photos that I need to upload. But… this is the beginning of the beginning!

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

I look forward to watching the transformation. I hope everything goes smoothly.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

An exciting beginning. Can’t wait for the next instalment. I was wondering if you were going to open the wall between the kitchen and dining room but I guess you need the wall space. :thumbsup:

www.ellenspalette.com

Uschi

It’s going to look beautiful Char:thumbsup: Lots of lovely cupboard space. As long as I can find the coffee maker and the mug all is fine:evil:

Ellen, I had previously suggested the same thing but there was a good reason why not, I just can’t remember the reason:)

Uschi

Char,
        For one who enjoys working in the kitchen to turn out delicious meals and other goodies for your family and guests, this is a well-deserved re-do for sure.

Thanks for sharing the journey with us, sorry we can’t help with the labor though. ;)

Sylvia

Neeman

congrats

Oh Awesome..

I remember only too well how inadequate your old kitchen was and you so deserve this new one big time!! :heart:

JJ
            Let go of past mistakes and hurts. Forgive and empower yourself. Live the life you were meant to live. And, be at peace with yourself.
            MY BLOG
            My Youtube videos

Excellent layout It looks great.:thumbsup:
            A tip. Tell them to hang the microwave on the bottom of the cupboards that are above him. It will save you the space that occupies on the cabinets top.

And in case I didn’t write it right here is what I mean.

pjartwc

I’m so pleased for you. For 40 years, I never owned a dishwasher either. One of the best things to have, especially if you like to cook.

C&C WELCOMED

Jan

Char…looks great and very functional….which is the goal for a working kitchen. Lisa loves to watch all the HGTV shows and will make a comment about some kitchen that looks great for TV or a magazine, but doesn’t function well at all…..are you going with a back splash under the upper cabinets…. and are you going with any under cabinet lighting?

Steve.

Pain and heartaches aren't options in life........misery is a choice.

Thanks for your nice comments about the design. Of course, we all know that real life doesn’t necessarily resemble pictures on paper, so it remains to be seen how this will all turn out.

Marialena, that was just placed there to demonstrate the size of that piece of counter top. The microwave will be contained in a cupboard.

So, this is basically what the kitchen looked like before we took everything out of it. Some years ago, I painted the cabinets over a chocolate brown formica. The tile was original from the house when it was moved to our current location in 1932. It’s shades of mustard.

This was my microwave cabinet. It held my mixing bowls and the lower portion held all my baking sheets and pans.

Because I placed the snack tables beneath that window, I never could get into the two lower cupboards at the end. It was *fun* to see what was in there after 30 years. :)

On top of the snack tables, I stored our bread and snacks. The little portable cupboard to the left became our coffee station. I stored our canned good in it. The tall cupboard was my “pantry”.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

The door to the left of the pantry is the opening to our Scary Closet. Everyone has one, they’ve just never named it.

This little space in the wall was an ironing board closet when we moved here. Ted took out the board and installed some shelving. We stored his collection of Tim Horton’s mugs in it.

This is my hoosier. It will be staying on this wall and we’ve chosen our cupboard finishes and hardware based on it. The cups are washed and waiting to be packed away.

This is my stove. I’m not replacing it because I like it and it’s only a few years old. Ted had built a little shelf above and around the stove. That, of course is now gone. The little cabinet between the fridge and stove housed my most frequently used skillets and utensils. There’s that mustard tile.

Char --

As I’m sure you’ve realized, a LOT of stuff was sitting out on top of counters. There was just no room inside the cupboards. Why? Because, after 31 years of living here and collecting all manner of things, we desperately needed to purge. And purge we did. Emptying the cupboards, we took six boxes of stuff to the thrift store. It was all good, we just never, ever, ever used it. I did keep two baby bottles. :crying:

It was sad to let the lead crystal go. I didn’t want to see it on the shelves of a thrift shop for 50 cents apiece. McKenzie said that Brittany would love it, thank goodness, and the Kids took it home. That’s a Jones soda, not beer. :lol:

The stuff on the coffee table is what we had displayed on top of our cupboards. I’m packing up the contents of the cabinets in boxes. The dust under the table is the result of all the ripping and tearing that’s going on. It’s making me a crazy woman and I just can’t keep up with it.

Ted’s down on the floor “discovering” what’s in those two end cupboards. In his hand… a mini fish net. :lol:

We both thought that we’d given away the big corn pot. We hadn’t. We just lost it. And the turkey roaster hasn’t seen the light of day for more than a decade.

The tearing out. Behind the cupboards and the tile… plaster lathe. That’s a problem.

The Rock Star and his Dad.

In the far corner are the hot and cold water pipes that feed the bathroom upstairs. The insulation around them is filled with mouse droppings. So gross. SO gross.

Shuddering in disgust.

Char --

Char,
                I love your Hoosier Cabinet, :envy: I’m so glad you are keeping it. My Grandmother had one (white though) in an upstairs closet and I loved opening it and looking at the flour sifter, pull out board, and all the different drawers.

Steve, We like to watch those shows too and, like your Lisa, I am sometimes appalled by some of the things the designers put in the kitchens…like open shelves for their dishes. Duh, anybody who cooks knows what is going to happen to those dishes even if you run the fan on top of the stove. :rolleyes:

Sylvia

Jon pulled all that insulation down and out. It was contained in garbage bags and is now in the building materials hopper at the recycling centre. The guys are getting ready to lift out the lower cupboards. First… the doors, and counter top.

Well… the water works had to be shut off and cut off first. So it was more first than the counter. :)

The first section of lowers is gone. AND… there was a cold air return hidden beneath them! :eek:

Yah… just hangin’ out and pulling out the next section of the lowers.

This is the original, original floor. It’s black as pitch on the other side of the cupboards.

This is how creepy crawly it was under the floor of the sink cupboard. This all makes my skin crawl. The dust is permeating the whole house.

I love this because the kitchen was once painted red! The men are removing the kick plate from the lowers. By the way, they are salvaging as much as they can because Ted’s going to install them in our former laundry room down in the basement.

The door of the pantry is gone and then the little cupboard itself will be demolished.

The door to the scary closet has been removed. It is aptly named.

The pantry is gone.

That was it for the day. We accomplished a LOT. Jon and his Dad were worn out. I was worn out. McKenzie had come out after work to help and it was all done. I went to KFC and bought dinner. Jonathon left for home early Sunday morning. But we had more work to do.

Char --

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 107 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.