Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Rockwell Reproduction – Doctor and Doll

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    griffster

I painted this for a Dr. friend of mine. He plans to put it in his office. I superimposed his head over the one from the original (I used GIMP digital graphic program). It was a little tricky getting the angle and shadows right but I think it works. This is 16″ x 20″ oil on canvas. Also, there’s a little bit of glare from the image I took, so the real painting looks a little better but this is fairly accurate.

"Art is limitation; the essence of every picture is the frame. If you draw a giraffe you must draw him with a long neck. If in your bold creative way you hold yourself free to draw a giraffe with a short neck you will really find that you are not free to draw a giraffe." -G.K. Chesterton Orthodoxy

Christopher Griffith - Fine Art
        WFMartin

Wow, that is an excellent idea! And, you have created a beautiful painting.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

griffster

Mr. Martin – thank you so much. That’s a huge compliment considering much of what I know and have learned about painting has come from you and your helpful posts on this website and your blog. Thank you, Sir.

"Art is limitation; the essence of every picture is the frame. If you draw a giraffe you must draw him with a long neck. If in your bold creative way you hold yourself free to draw a giraffe with a short neck you will really find that you are not free to draw a giraffe." -G.K. Chesterton Orthodoxy

WFMartin

Mr. Martin – thank you so much. That’s a huge compliment considering much of what I know and have learned about painting has come from you and your helpful posts on this website and your blog. Thank you, Sir.

Thank You! How very nice of you to say that. I appreciate your work, too.:thumbsup:

By the way, have you ever seen any of Norman Rockwell’s work in real life? The Phoenix Art Museum once had a N. R. exhibit, and his oils were incredible. I was amazed to notice that he actually used some of Rembrandt’s methods in terms of glazing over impasto strokes, etc. He was truly a fine artist, in the truest sense of the word.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

griffster

No, I’ve only observed Rockwell’s work in books. I used a reference picture I found on Google to create the above painting but after looking at the same same image in a several Rockwell books I found at the library, there’s quite a variety of color shifts between book editions. I suppose this is due to the printing process of various publishers. So, I took the best guess – I figured so long at the values were right, it would all come together.

Rockwell is so good at what he does – he is able to tell a story with his paintings. Here’s my interpretation of the Doctor and Doll: the doctor is quite “serious” about his work (check out the original doctor’s face here) he doesn’t have time to be doing silly stuff with dolls. You can tell by the look on his face and the serious looking diploma, mini-Rembrandt painting, and books on the shelf. And being dressed up in a tux (rather than a doctors coat) he’s probably on his way to some gala event where “serious” doctors go. And of course the girl is just as serious about her doll, she’s removed his clothes (look at the blue polka-dotted dress under her arm) and she has stomped her foot (check out the rumpled up carpet beneath her left toe) and the pout on her face. I can hear her saying “Doctor, you must examine my doll, this is serious!” Yes, Rockwell was not just a good artist but some sort of genius too.

snoball

Oh how wonderful! I think it turned out great. I once did a commission for a lady putting her little girl’s face on “Pinky”.

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
                            My work on Facebook

BrushBeater

the head is well integrated, impressive.

To claim that we can get along without study of the antique and the classics - is the doctrine of those who want to produce without having worked, who want to know without having learned; it is an art as lacking in faith as in discipline, wandering blindly because of its having no light in the darkness, and demanding that mere chance lead it through places where one can advance only by means of courage, experience, and reflection.
                                oldboy

Great draftsmanship. Well done.

Visited the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge Massachusetts when vacationing in New England (celebrating our 40th Anniversary).
                                    Well worth a visit.

Ron Francis

LOL, very nice.

Ron
                                        www.RonaldFrancis.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • The topic ‘Rockwell Reproduction – Doctor and Doll’ is closed to new replies.