Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink PenInk shading samples

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    artdude

Here are just a few ways to add some shading to your ink drawings. I am certainly no expert but I thought these might help out some inkers that are just starting out. These were all done free hand so please excuse some of the not so straight lines in the “Parallel Line” sample. I used a 005 tech pen for all of the examples. You will also notice in the “Parallel Line” sample, that there seems to be a crack or line near the bottom of the sphere. That is there because some of my lines stopped at the same spot. Therefore giving you the impression there is a line there. This is a good way to suggest straight or cuvred lines in your work without actually drawing THAT line. Hope some of this will help you in your ink adventures :D

[Quote]*I am "drawn" to Art!!* ~artdude~[/Quote]

Thanks for the shading samples artdude. I am familiar with crosshatching, but will have to practise some for the contour lines and stippling.

Norah

'Tis the set of the sails and not the gales
        E W Wilcox

dupliKate

Thanks ArtDude! I’m going to try the stippling technique on my next ink attempt. I’ll save your samples to my hard drive.

More please!

:) K

"wait for me if i am not heart, because at least i beat"
            ee cummings, from ViVa 1936
            http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/03-Aug-2009/3648-Banner2.jpg

Terrific artdude, and very kind. They will be a great help. Am going to read up how to save to hard drive. Have been trying to get some drawing done – ah well, maybe tomorrow. :)

Ruth

Thanks, I like people who share with others.
            I will certainly start looking for ink – Art. Does the name
            Max Klinger ring a Bell ?

MarkL

hey good on ya for showing some tecniques
                If I had a scanner handy I would have added scribble as a quick way to add shape and form plus a few other tips mmmmm wonder if we could get a thread going on this?

MarkL

These days when playing Sport I have to think to myself
                “Age and treachery will over come youth and enthusiasm”

artdude

[i]Originally posted by MarkL [/i]
                    [B]hey good on ya for showing some tecniques
                    If I had a scanner handy I would have added scribble as a quick way to add shape and form plus a few other tips mmmmm wonder if we could get a thread going on this? [/B]

Thanks Mark and everyone who has responded so well to these examples.

I could have added the “Scribble” technique…guess I just ran out of time when I was putting this together. There is also “Wavy Lines” and they are great for “Wood, Marble, Water etc. There are also some “Pen Control” exersises that I could make up too. Too bad you don’t have a scanner Mark. You could jump right in with these examples :D Well thanks again everyone for your input.

artdude

[i]Originally posted by mclaughlin [/i]
                        [B]Thanks, I like people who share with others.
                        I will certainly start looking for ink – Art. Does the name
                        Max Klinger ring a Bell ? [/B]

You’re welcome mclaughlin :) hmmmm…I don’t think I have heard of Max Klinger..is he an ink artist?

artdude

[i]Originally posted by RuthT [/i]
                            [B]Terrific artdude, and very kind. They will be a great help. Am going to read up how to save to hard drive. Have been trying to get some drawing done – ah well, maybe tomorrow. :) [/B]

Hi Ruth: Glad you will find these examples usefull :) To save the example to your hard drive, just “right click” with your mouse anywhere on the sample and a small rectangular window will pop up. Scroll down to where it says “Save picture as” and click on that. A new window will then pop up for your hard drive files. Pick the folder where you want to save the pic and just and click the save button in that window. Now you have it saved on your computer :D

animal

Thanks for these examples Artdude! I am going to try and practice these in my pen and ink drawings .:cool:

I may never be famous or rich because of my artwork but I will continue to draw and paint because of the joy that it gives me.
                                - Animal

All artwork and photos posted are copyrighted, please do not copy or use in any way without my permission. Thank You

Thank you for your help once again artdude. I have now successfully saved the shading examples to my hard drive. Added my vote to the poll as extremely helpful. :)

Ruth

Thanks artdude for the shading tips. I’m sure I’ll re-reference them a few more times once I start trying my hand at drawing. I used to do not bad at drawing … mainly sketches (with pencil) and charcoal … back in secondary school but have lost alot of the touch. Maybe someday I’ll do something that I’ll be able to post on here … M-A-Y-B-E! :)

auntie chaos (AKA Cheryl)
                                =============================================
                                "A critic is a man who knows the way but can't drive the car." :)
                                ------------------------------------------------
                                "I feel like this is a dream -- and I apologize for how I dressed some of you." ~Ray Romano~

Christie

Nice work and a good reminder at anytime. I still have not found my pens and am beginning to suspect that the four year old has!:)

I think I may just have to go out and get another, which will guarantee that the other one will show up!:p

Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are. -Nkosi Johnson Twelve-year-old Zulu boy, living with AIDS
                                    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

artdude

Just thought I would relpy to this thread so it will be moved to the first page. Maybe some newbee’s will find it useful :D Feel free to add any of your techiques here too :)

PS: sassybird, sue ellen…maybe a sticky on this thread??

I second the motion :D – this information is useful on an ongoing basis.

Norah

'Tis the set of the sails and not the gales
                                        E W Wilcox

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.