Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Connoisseur Sable Brush?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bonesaw85

Hello wonderful people of Wetcanvas,

I am fairly new to watercolor, am really enjoying the medium so far.

I finally got myself a real sable brush a couple weeks ago (Escoda Reserva) and it has absolutely lived up to the hype.

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with Connoisseur sable brushes. I’m looking at a #14 for $29, down from $168. It seems like it’s too good of a deal to be true, but I’m optimistic.

Thank You.

M.L. Schaefer

Is the seller reputable? If so, go for it. If it doesn’t work for you, you can gift it or re-sell it! But make sure the seller is reputable.

Margarete

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
            Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

yellow_oxide

If you trust the seller then it sounds like a bargain. I’ve gotten actually even better deals before that turned out to really be true.

Consider this though, since you mentioned the hype with sable- When I first started watercolor I read and thought that “the best brushes are kolinsky sable,” but in reality they’re the best only if you’re looking for a certain degree of a specific set of attributes. There’s other brushes that I now prefer for different styles or techniques, such as the looseness of my black goat hair brush or the stiffness of some of my synthetics or various other qualities of all sorts of hairs and brush shapes. Also keep in mind that not all brands have the same quality of raw sable or brush construction, so not all will live up to the hype. That doesn’t mean the cheaper ones can’t still make good brushes though.

pjartwc

The old saying “if something seems to good to be true,” it usually works out that way. I would do some research on the company and see what others have said.

Regardless of what brush you buy, take proper care of it.
                    Be kind to them, and they will return the kindness.

Never store them upright in a container while wet. Lay them flat until dry.
                    When done with a painting session, shape the brushes back to their original form.
                    Never loosen dry paint with a good sable brush. When you do go into your paint with a sable, pull toward the brush tip and not against it.

C&C WELCOMED

Jan

bonesaw85

Yes, I’m buying from a very trusted source. I completely forgot that I ordered a #10 of the same brush a couple weeks ago from the same place. It should arrive tomorrow. I’m glad I didn’t remember though, as I would have waited until I got that brush, and today the price went up $15.

Yellow Oxide, yes I’ve tried a few other type natural hair brushes as well as some top of the line synthetics, but sable seems just right for me. I actually found a great deal on a Da Vince Cosmotop, so I’m interested to try that one out.

Good advice there pjartwc. I know most of the advice to care for a sable, but what do you mean by don’t loosen dry paint? Are you talking about dry paint of the palette or lifting dried paint from a painting?

So what’s the deal with the sable hair ban? Is it still in effect? Because a couple months ago I couldn’t find a sable brush anywhere in North America, but now I’m finding deals on them…

I’ll be sure to post my experience with the brush and some paintings.

Superturtle

So what’s the deal with the sable hair ban? Is it still in effect? Because a couple months ago I couldn’t find a sable brush anywhere in North America, but now I’m finding deals on them…

(I may be winging it on this explanation here, so take it with a couple pounds of salt) Fish & Game banned sable without the proper CITES paperwork. There was a bit of uncertainty as to if and when sable would be allowed in the US again, so a lot of folks stocked up. It took vendors a while to get the proper paperwork in order, which is why a lot of them ran out. Now I think a lot of vendors have the proper documentation, so they’re able to bring sable in again.

Consider this though, since you mentioned the hype with sable- When I first started watercolor I read and thought that “the best brushes are kolinsky sable,” but in reality they’re the best only if you’re looking for a certain degree of a specific set of attributes

Very true. I have one sable brush, and I get the hype – it’s luxurious to paint with and the controlled water flow is wonderful. I get why botanical artists and many portrait artists go with sable, as it’s ideal for those with a controlled approach. Personally, I’ve found I really like synthetics especially since I like having brushes I don’t have to baby, but it’s taken me quite a bit of trial and error to find specific ones I like. Brushes are highly personal things – for some Kolinsky’s worth it, for some it’s not.

briantmeyer

Get one of each as you are learning. It is highly personal, but you cannot “read” why a real sable is worth having, you have to play with it. Another artist I know who is well established prefers flats, I prefer rounds, daggers, quills and liners, it is at the end of the day your choice.

This is purely for exploration so don’t get the best, just get enough so you can sample a variety.

A small cheap sable runs about 15-20 bucks, it does not have to be large. ( Amazon.com has Escoda Reservas for about that ). Then use this single brush along with the other cheaper brushes you get. Do a hundred paintings, when done then you will know which brushes you need to invest more in.

Get a variety of synthetics as well, a variety of shapes using cheap synthetics for your big brushes. Get the cheapest version of a given shape, you probably are not going to use most of them. I have a Fan brush and a “Oval Wash” brush I’ve never really used, waste of money, but I got synthetic brushes and I basically spent $2-3 on each to learn I personally have no use for these.

I ended up trying everything and fell in love with sable, but realized neptune was good enough for me. I got another escoda reserva, and about 5 more neptunes, and will probably get an escoda squirrel and some versatil and perla as time goes on, just to explore some more.

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with Connoisseur sable brushes. I’m looking at a #14 for $29, down from $168.

If you don’t mind, please post the reference URL if the store has an online presence. I have $29 I’m willing to risk for a #14.

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
                                blog.jlk.net

pjartwc

Good advice there pjartwc. I know most of the advice to care for a sable, but what do you mean by don’t loosen dry paint? Are you talking about dry paint of the palette or lifting dried paint from a painting?

I’ll be sure to post my experience with the brush and some paintings.

Both dry paint on the palette and lifting from a painting. When you work with expensive sable, you can damage the fiber and the point if pushed again the hair. Always come forward with the brush, regardless of whether it’s on the palette or paper. If paint is real hard on the palette, mist with water and let it set for awhile.

C&C WELCOMED

Jan

bonesaw85

I have tried quite a few types of brushes, but it’s really dry where I paint so I need a brush that will hold a lot of water that also stays springy and doesn’t go limp. Any recommendations for a good synthetic? I’ve heard good things about Opus Allegro brushes and Princeton Neptunes.

I should have just mentioned where I got it from. Amazon.CA
                                        http://www.amazon.ca/Connoisseur-Kolinsky-Sable-Brush-Round/dp/B0044TTAPE/ref=pd_sim_k_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FNT367KG1XEPPWP2BM3

Don’t know what the shipping policy is.

Well I get the #10 today and it is absolutely wonderful. Can’t notice a difference between it and the Escoda I have. Holds a lot of water and comes to a super sharp tip. Here is a pic of it with a quick painting I just did.

I’m sure you’ll be seeing more of me as I’ll have plenty more questions in the near future, and I look forward to being part of the Wetcanvas watercolor community.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.