WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#736   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2017, 01:53 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Autumn in the Big Bend National Park

Hi Dave, so you have exceeded your expectations and paper. I hope you find an alternative.

Doug
  #737   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2017, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Out of paper!?! Maybe get some in Alpine? Have Amazon airlift you a pad via drone? Utilize burger wrappers?

We had a decent flight to Salt Lake City, had a quick visit with David’s nephew, and then made the longish drive south. It was dark by the time we arrived at our motel, but we are within striking distance of Zion, and that is our destination today.
  #738   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Doug, Robyn and You Others:

So, I broke out a 12x16 inch block of Arches 300CP and the emergency is dealt with.

Did two watercolors today. The first was a relic of the past, a stone house at the Hot Springs. The second was the view from the Old Ore Road. Both met expectations... could be better but okay.

Went back to the Boquillas Crossing office and asked some questions. Yes, a British or a German passport work there. Yes, it is possible to rent a room and stay in Boquillas a night or two, Yes I did over pay my guide and yes he probably goes to church praying I'll return, soon.

Give any of you ideas?

Zion... wow. I hope you plan on letting us know about the art you do there.

I have been to the Chile Pepper Cafe often enough I now know the cooks names and they come out from the kitchen to say hi. Not sure that's good.

No moon last night and around 9:30PM I drove up into the park to get away from the Study Butte lights. Wow. At home in Merriam we see a couple of dozen stars and planets on a clear night... last night I literally saw billions. Just really stunning.

Have fun in Zion Robyn. I am here in Big Bend. -Dave
  #739   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2017, 01:54 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Glad you had back up paper Dave.

Ah, clear skies is somrthing I haven't seen for donkey's years in the UK camping in Northumberland. A few years ago we saw the Milky Way in NZ at Lulu's.

Keep up the good work.

Doug
  #740   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2017, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Wonderful opportunity you had for star gazing.
Glad to hear you had more paper on hand. Crisis averted.

We mostly hiked yesterday, although I did a small color study while perched on a rock in case I want to work from photos later. The autumn colors are on display here and the weather is perfect. Yesterday I was struck by all the warmth in the shadows, probably caused by the red rock. The shadows glowed more intensely than the sunlit areas.

There are two artists in residence in Zion. David is encouraging me to apply, and I have an idea about what I would write in the proposal.

The food situation around here is underwhelming. You are lucky to have the Chili Pepper, Dave!
  #741   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Dang, typing in the dark car I've hit the wrong key again ! Try again....

Hi Doug, Robyn and Others:

A good day today, two pieces on the 12x16 inch Arches 300CP... one a pen & wash and the other a watercolor. Then an ink study of mountain shadows on 10x6 inch Arches 140CP. I'm happy with all three.

Then I retreated to the motel for a shower and a nap. Waking up I found new neighbors, (two men from Dallas) with a canoe who plan to start into Boquillas canyon in the morning. Since I did Boquillas last November we had much to talk about.

I did drive back into the darkened park last night. I think there are billions of stars. I lost count and so may try again tonight.

Clear and cool here.

Have fun folks, I sure am, Dave