WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2017, 06:45 AM
Singapore

Hails from Singapore
Can drawing be taught?

Sharing some of my thoughts on teaching Drawing on my blog

https://www.cherngzhi.com/news/2017/...ing-be-taught-
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Bellevue

Hails from United States
Re: Can drawing be taught?

czlian

I took a peek at your blog.

This begs the question: What are the portfolio requirements for your classes?

In most academic settings you'll have "sandbaggers"-- people who are skilled in a subject area but who enter lower level classes to score high grades to inflate and maintain their overall grade point averages.

Are your weaker students being intimidated by others showing raw natural talent? Or, do you have a sprinkling of sandbaggers who already had some solid skills?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:05 PM
Bellevue

Hails from United States

Y'know, I think this is a fairly interesting article on the subject as it pertains to children and the learning of drawing:http://www.bartelart.com/arted/coach2observe.html
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2017, 07:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Well, I certainly believe that drawing can be learned, if it is taught correctly.

For 9 years, and 41 classes, I taught a class in oil painting at our local recreation center. It was an adult class. The first evening of class I always had the students draw a "grid" on their canvas with charcoal pencil. It was a simple grid with a vertical centerline, a horizontal centerline, and a cross, drawn from corner to corner.

I also furnished each student with a proportional, color photo upon which I had also Photoshopped the same grid.

Following the photo that had the grid on it, I taught students how to seek out "key points", and locations that were positioned logically by the grid, and from there, we drew a relatively useful depiction of the photo on the canvas.

Thinking back now, after 9 years, and 41 classes, I never had even one student who claimed that he/she "couldn't draw". They all did relaltively well, and all my students created drawings that were appropriate for using as a guide for painting.

I think the reason that my students were able to grasp the whole "drawing concept", and to perform in such a matter-of-fact way is that I never told any of them that it was supposed to be considered "difficult". I just showed them how to do it, and they followed along, believing that this was sorta' something that would work out if they did exactly as I was suggesting.

It worked for me. However, I had much more difficulty getting students to perform as well at applying paint, but the drawing operation always went rather well, as I recall.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 05:49 PM

I recently read Drawing on the Right Side of the Bain by Betty Edwards. I have to agree with her, drawing CAN be taught. Unfortunately, the education system at least in the US has FAILED our children in that regard. Art instruction has fallen out of most schools after first grade. If there are art classes, the instructors are often not artists, nor properly trained in teaching art. Drawing like most things can be a learned skill. The techniques and methods can be learned, but US schools are too focused on testing and teaching to the tests. The development of the student is secondary to the test results. Artistic results are hard to quantify, and therefore don't fit within the scope.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2017, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandogh
I recently read Drawing on the Right Side of the Bain by Betty Edwards. I have to agree with her, drawing CAN be taught. Unfortunately, the education system at least in the US has FAILED our children in that regard. Art instruction has fallen out of most schools after first grade. If there are art classes, the instructors are often not artists, nor properly trained in teaching art. Drawing like most things can be a learned skill. The techniques and methods can be learned, but US schools are too focused on testing and teaching to the tests. The development of the student is secondary to the test results. Artistic results are hard to quantify, and therefore don't fit within the scope.

It is more complex than that in fact.. art is not an economic production occupation, it does not generate enrichment (just moves it around) therefore it has less economic appeal. Art is relevant for the society, not for the state.

While that is easy to understand it has even broader consequences.. Most countries already have serious issues with too low supply of teachers able to teach math... you can imagine would be even harder to get a steady supply of reasonable quality art teachers.

Art has always been and very likely will continue to be something for few...
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"