Home Forums Explore Subjects Still Life The Carder Method

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    gerry w

I was impressed by the Peaches and silver painting by emilycarol and went to the site mentioned:

http://www.thecardermethod.com/%5B/URL%5D

Although I can’t use this method, because for health reasons, I have to paint in acrylics, I was intrigued by the beautiful set-ups for the still lifes by the students. Is there much time devoted to the set-up, lighting, etc. in the video?
        Gerry

randommara

Have you tried non-toxic water dissolvable oils? I like Holbein Duo best but Winsor & Newton Artisan are nice. I only get colors without California warnings too. The only white I’ve found that’s lead free is Holbein’s titanium. For some reason everyone puts lead white in everything including supposedly “zinc” and “titanium” white. W&N makes non-toxic mediums too. Anyway you can use only water for clean up and thinning. I love them.

gerry w

Thanks, I’ll look into these, as I’ve didn’t know they existed. The Carder Method would still be difficult with water soluable oils because you need much longer drying times, but after a dozen paintings trying to make acrylics look like oils, I’m open to other suggestions! I guess I’ll buy a very limited palette, and give them a try. Gerry

Helenty

Hi have you tried Genesis heat set oils , they are worth a look and i have used them for 5 years or more and had no health problems , i’m an asthmatic so i need to be careful with the paints i use. Best website is genesisoilpaints.com.au there is an American site but it does not have the info like this one does.

Avarwen

You can use linseed and other drying oils to paint you don’t need solvents to use oils. All slovents do is thin the paint to make clean up eaiser. I use linseed oil and it works just fine and has no strong fumes. The site below should help.

http://rourkevisualart.com/wordpress/2006/12/29/oil-painting-without-solvents/%5B/URL%5D

“Genius is patience.”-Michelangelo

gerry w

Thanks for these two suggestions also.
                            Not using solvent doesn’t solve my problem though, as I’ve become sensitive to the fumes from the oils as well. Do the heat set oils have an odor? The site says “no” but what about when you heat them, conventional oils seem to smell worse when they “kick off” and with heat set oils, it sounds like they kick off very quickly. Gerry

Helenty

Heat set oils have no odour what so ever even when heated,i use odourless solvent and have had no problems at all. heat set oils are specifically made for people who have health problems or are allergic to oils and solvents, they also go further as you can reuse the paint ,you don’t throw any of it away.
                                Try it and i don’t think you will ever regret it.Ask for more info by e-mail on the site and i’m sure Peter will be happy to oblige.

gerry w

Thanks Helen, I’ll definitely have a look, Gerry

Gerry, Heat set oils are a marvelous thing…. But wait till you see what Golden’s Acrylic are bringing out… I am not sure just when they will hit the counters, but soon I think!!

gerry w

Thanks Aszurblue,
                                        I looked this up and the link is:
                                        http://www.goldenpaints.com/company/news/2008/open.php
                                        I’m very excited by this! Gerry

ANGHWAR

You may wish to check out Atelier Interactive Acrylics, they have an unlimited open time (with the right medium) and can also be reopened for corrections or next day painting (again with a particular medium).

I think the carder method can be used for acrylics too as it is in essence an aid in recognizing values. I think that once one has learned the values and are confident the carder method would no longer be necessary. The same goes for the sizing tool.

Happy Painting

Painting is concerned with all the 10 attributes of sight; Darkness, Light, Solidity and Colour, Form and Position, Distance and Propinquity, Motion and Rest. -Leonardo Da Vinci

gerry w

Thanks Anghwar, I’ll definitely look into this as well.
                                                I agree about the Carder method, his genius is in the fact that he seems to make his students do those boring color and value exercises
                                                as you do a painting. I’ve also seen other versions of his color checker. But why I started this thread was the set-ups of the still lifes, and how much time was devoted to this and other studio considerations in the video.
                                                But oils will never work for me (except perhaps the heat srt oils) and I’m too impatient for the Carder Method. But these new acrylics are intrigueing, Thanks again, Gerry

Nilesh

You might also check the M. Graham site. They make paints that contain walnut oil rather than linseed oil. The vapors from linseed oil can be irritating to the lungs, for some people. Their site also talks about other aspects of painting with minimal use of the more toxic materials.

Golden has just introduced a line called Golden Open. They are acrylic paints that are open for longer then regular acrylics and have the buttery feel of oils.

Carol
                                                    "Mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence" - Time Bandits[/color]
                                                    Moderator: Acrylic Forum
                                                    My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography[/B]

gerry w

Thanks Carol,

Yes, I eagerly await their distribution to my local art supply store (sometime in August or Sept.) but for now, I have ordered the Interactive Acrylic online and hope it arrives soon.

Gerry:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.