Home Forums The Think Tank Art History Discussions Is there a huge database of Hi-Res scans online somewhere?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

It seems like there would be. I just haven’t run across it. Wikipedia is hit or miss; some are great clear scans and others are low quality. (and some are not there at all) …not to mention you have to do a new search for each painting, etc etc

Seems like at this late date in the internet’s evolution there would be some public online catalog of all the great painting from throughout history, kinda like IMDB is a one-stop site for movie titles.

Anybody know of a site like this?

Thanks in advance,

SP

zardoz71

It seems like there would be. I just haven’t run across it. Wikipedia is hit or miss; some are great clear scans and others are low quality. (and some are not there at all) …not to mention you have to do a new search for each painting, etc etc

Seems like at this late date in the internet’s evolution there would be some public online catalog of all the great painting from throughout history, kinda like IMDB is a one-stop site for movie titles.

Thanks in advance,

SP

I know only a view sites that offer huge collection of art. As an example you can access the Metropolitian Museum of ART (MET) database of 375.000+ pictures here: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection Information about copyright/faq: https://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-met/policies-and-documents/image-resources/frequently-asked-questions

There a lot of other institutions that do the same. However I doub’t anyone can offer a worldwide one because of different copyright rules. Wikimedia is atm fighting vs the German Reiss-Engelhorn-Museen about a photo of a old master painting.

It would be ok in the US to release this kind of pictures but it’s different here

However, in Germany, the protection granted to photographs is not just limited to copyright (“photographic works”, section 2 para. 1 No. 5 of the German Copyright Act). Photographs can also obtain protection under a so-called copyright-related right in section 72 of the German Copyright Act that would require no creativity on the photographer’s part. But the scope of protection conferred by this related right is essentially equivalent to copyright, albeit with a shorter term.

https://www.allaboutipblog.com/2016/07/wikimedia-loses-copyright-case-over-photographs-of-public-domain-paintings/

Things like that makes it a legal nightmare to release such databases worldwide, even if the painting itself has no copyright issue as in the above example.

Even if you use other picture databases like the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service https://digitalmedia.fws.gov/ you can get entangled in law issues: https://www.usa.gov/government-works

wdaniels

Google Arts and Culture https://artsandculture.google.com/ . Most of their images are Hi-Res.

Thanks in advance,

SP

https://www.wga.hu/index1.html

best source by far I have ever found. You can search by author, period, style ..

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

T Schneider

You will find a wealth of paintings here: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/
                    Tim

[url]https://www.wga.hu/index1.html[/url]

best source by far I have ever found. You can search by author, period, style ..

Hmmm, I just went to their database and looked up “Klimt”, they don’t seem to have any thing. Odd.

I usually go to Wikiart[/URL]. They have quite a few images (and artists), as well as links to most artists’ biographies in Wikipedia. There scans are pretty good, but they also list where the painting can be found (when that info is available), and from there you can get hi res images.
                    For example, take Fragonard’s picture, “Young Girl Reading”, The page for it on Wikiart is here:
                    https://www.wikiart.org/en/jean-honore-fragonard/a-young-girl-reading-1776-1
                    Links are provided to the site from which the original image was taken (in this case Art renewal), as well as a variety or sizes available (for this one, up to 3182×4000). It also lists the location of the painting (The NGA in DC), and if you go there you can zoom in to a very high degree of detail.
                    https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.46303.html

Cheers;
                    Chris

C&C of all sorts always welcome! (I don't mind rude or harsh criticism.)
                    I suppose I have to do this too :p (my blog, & current work). My Visual Arts Nova Scotia page.
                    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known - Oscar Wilde

The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution

They remove entries when the holder of the rights demand it. But most artists (of enough time past) with non pricky families or in public domain are there. Pre 20th century stuff is far more available there.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Anonymous

Thank you all for the great responses.

–sowegapainter

borsen

When starting a new communication or relationship, I always check out the person through various search engines. I recently found one of the best people finder database on the persontrust website. Everyone has phone numbers, and this is one easy way to find out publicly available data. People often underestimate such tools, and they can bring a lot of useful information.

CA

Seems to be a broken link. Can you have a look at that?

MistyOwen

It seems like there would be. I just haven’t run across it. Wikipedia is hit or miss; some are great clear scans and others are low quality. (and some are not there at all) …not to mention you have to do a new search for each painting, etc etc Seems like at this late date in the internet’s evolution there would be some public online catalog of all the great painting from throughout history, kinda like IMDB is a one-stop site for movie titles. Anybody know of a site like this? Thanks in advance, SP                                                                                                                                    If you want to find yourself a drawing application AI Mirror Pro APK on the phone platform, the getmodnow website is the first choice for you with safe and free.

Here are a few notable ones:

Google Arts & Culture (artsandculture.google.com): Google’s platform dedicated to art and culture, offering high-resolution images of artworks from museums around the world. It allows you to explore paintings by various artists, periods, and styles.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Collection (metmuseum.org/art/collection): The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City has an extensive online collection that includes paintings from different time periods and regions. Their website provides detailed information about each artwork.

The National Gallery, London (nationalgallery.org.uk): The official website of the National Gallery in London offers a comprehensive collection of paintings from various artists. It provides detailed descriptions and high-quality images of the artworks.

The Louvre Museum (louvre.fr): The Louvre Museum in Paris, France, has a virtual gallery where you can explore their collection of paintings, including famous masterpieces like the Mona Lisa. The website provides in-depth information about each artwork.

WikiArt (wikiart.org): WikiArt is an online art encyclopedia that aims to catalog and showcase artworks from different periods and styles. It includes a vast collection of paintings with accompanying details and artist biographies.

Apktome

MistyOwen

It seems like there would be. I just haven’t run across it. Wikipedia is hit or miss; some are great clear scans and others are low quality. (and some are not there at all) …not to mention you have to do a new search for each painting, etc etc Seems like at this late date in the internet’s evolution there would be some public online catalog of all the great painting from throughout history, kinda like IMDB is a one-stop site for movie titles. Apktome is an online platform that provides diverse and useful technology applications to users. From entertainment applications to performance optimization tools, Apktome offers a diverse and rich library that meets the needs of everyone in the digital world.Anybody know of a site like this? Thanks in advance, SP

Thanks for your helpful post

Apktome

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.