Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Techniques Tinting or Glazing a Completed Oil Pastel Painting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Flycatcher10

Question:

Once an oil pastel painting is completed, I have a question on whether you could do a very thin tint or glaze over the painting for an overall color, but not influencing what has already been layed down.

My thought was what about using a very, very thin watercolor or gauche wash to tint a completed painting? Do you think after the thin wash, the wash would peel?

Just curious and thinking maybe I have to take a scrap board and try this.

Pat do you have any thoughts on this.

halthepainter

Gee Mary, somehow your subject sounds very familiar. :angel:

[FONT=Fixedsys]

Flycatcher10

I know, I’m keep asking in different forums to see if anyone has answers – I think yours was probably the best whereas the gum in the formula of watercolors will probably cause blots of coloring, as oppose to tint overall.

Someone over in soft pastel forum recommending using pan pastels, but can’t image how that would work over sticky oil pastels.

In other word if I wanted to tint or glaze a completed painting the medium for the painting would have to be acrylics or oil paints. OPs are limited in some technical aspects compared to these other mediums. Wouldn’t you agree?

Lostjedi

Mary

I haven’t tried this but I might. Have you tried tinting a clear acrylic gel and applied it as a top coat.

The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearence of things, but their inward significance. :thumbsup: Aristotle

MAS
                    Hipkit

I realise this is an old thread, but you can’t put acrylic over oil (you can do the reverse: oil over acrylic). So I would recommend trying a thin glaze of oil paint. The watercolour/gouache would create a resist.

You can also add a glaze of ops using a solvent to dissolve the ops first and then very lightly painting it without letting it blend.

Christel

Jennie

Just a very new OP user who’s reading a lot of posts. in a tutorial or help post, it was recommended that lightly brushing the final image with a stiff 2″ brush would ‘lift and shine”. I tested it, seemed to work. If any more experienced painters tested I’d be interested in feedback.

Jennie
                            "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
                            @jenniferpaints http://jrcs.com.au/artist

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.