Home Forums The Think Tank Art History Discussions camera obscura

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ievapalle

I read that many ancient artists used camera obscura. Has anybody tried it nowadays?
        Just curious how it really works. And maybe this old technology still have some little advantage to compare with today’s possibilities?

ievapallart.com

tpitman

I can’t see any advantage to go to the trouble to make one. Use an opaque projector with a photo reference, a slide projector with a transparency, or scare up a lucida projector, which is a kind of opaque projector. We had one at an ad agency I worked at that I’d use for working up marker comps for newspaper ads. You loaded your reference in the top compartment where a light bulb and reflector were, and the image was transferred down through a lense onto a small tabletop. You raised or lowered the top compartment to adjust the size of the image on your paper.

ievapalle

Thank you for your answer! Nice to hear that they still are in use at ad agencies. :) I like old things. :)

ievapallart.com

tpitman

Thank you for your answer! Nice to hear that they still are in use at ad agencies. :) I like old things. :)

Well, bear in mind that this was over 30 years ago, just before desktop publishing and digital art became available. That said, even after working on the computer, with all of the resources available, I missed sitting all day drawing with markers or a Rapidograph pen to do product illustration.

KolinskyRed
                        Anonymous

Have you checked this out?

[URL]http://www.jerrysartarama.com/the-lucy-drawing-tool-flexible-camera-lucida[/URL]

Interesting. Basically seems like a mini camera obscura. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to, though.

I’m surprised how cheap it is.

MDerby

You can get a camera Lucida for your iPhone for $7. The same company that makes the Lucy makes a box camera obscura. Ancient Magic Art Tools.
                                I made two box camera obscures from scrap plywood, an old mirror, a hand magnifier and some plexiglas . It works like a charm. With practice you can trace from it. There are videos on YouTube that show how to make it with cardboard. You might also review the many videos about Tim’s Vermeer. The reflector mirror is particularly handy. The camera iluminati he invented is also something you can make with scrap but it’s pretty hard to use.
                                But if you want to really go back in time, make yourself a grid from string and an old picture frame. Then set it on a stand in front of your subject and just draw.

The craft is an art in itself. http://www.mikederby.com

I read that many ancient artists used [I]camera obscura[/I]. Has anybody tried it nowadays?
                                Just curious how it really works. And maybe this old technology still have some little advantage to compare with today’s possibilities?

It is not true that many ancient artists used the camera obscura.

The most likely old master artist to have used the camera obscura is Jan Vermeer, but it is not certain that he did at all, since he never owned one and there were no optical items in his estate when he died. There is also scientific evidence to the contrary, that he used perspective lines and a vanishing point in his underpaintings, which would be a redundant exercise if he were tracing his images. He was friends with one of the Huygens brothers, who were wealthy enough for one of them to own one (they were extremely expensive and unwieldy) and they lived 4 miles away, so not so convenient to trace every painting. My opinion is that he may have traced one or possibly a couple of paintings and then emulated the effects with the rest.

As for using it today, there is no reason to resort to the inferior and inverted image of a camera obscura for tracing, when we have such great cameras and projectors to use today…… if tracing your images is what you want to do. I personally use a projector to trace my cartoons on canvas instead of tediously transferring them using grids etc. I often think about the camera obscura when I do it.

Causality

It’s useful to divide up the possible effects of reference to a camera obscura and think about them separately. ‘Accuracy’ is the one often focused on by people trying to explain the accurate draftsmanship of past artists. Luckily now decades into the resurgence of traditional training for artists it is easy to find examples of people who simply have the skill of drawing accurately. It is no longer ‘necessary’ to find ‘explanation’ for accurate rendering.

Another broad category would be ‘optical effects’. Vermeer is famous for painting sometimes in ways that remind one of what one sees in a camera obscura. For me this makes it reasonable to wonder if he’d experienced one or even studied one on occasion. But IMO that is all that was necessary to explain the effects one sees in his paintings.

I agree that for most purposes the camera obscura has been superseded, with the exception of those optical effects. There is something gem-like and lovely about a C.O. image. If you want to study or emulate THAT, you would need one (unless you found a filter or created a reliable method of recreating the effects in Photoshop I suppose).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.