Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Colored Pencil Library Derwent Inktense- 72 Color Chart

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    HarvestMoon

I bought one of the new 72 color sets of Derwent’s Inktense pencils… thought I would share my color chart so the rest of you won’t have to buy them in a blind leap of faith…:D

There are actually 71 colors- one of the pencils is an outliner- which appears to me to be a regular graphite type pencil…

far left is dry- then wet… then dragged across white paper…

Most of the colors are mouthwatering when WET… as they are intended to be…I especially love the magentas to purples…I am only disappointed that there are so many BLACKS to almost Blacks… like…
        Sepia Ink
        Indian Ink
        Chinese Ink
        Ink Black

then a few greys… I am a bright color person… don’t need even one black or grey…but some of you may…

Harvest Moon 🐐

Delofasht

Mouthwatering eh?. . . I wouldn’t have thought that, but I’ve never tried to lick, or errr eat, my art before. :lol:

But yeah I really like the range of colors and how bright they are, not too disappointed with the darks, they are extremely useful for creating a nice value study of something. I do like them but I wasn’t extremely impressed by some of the lightfastness information, especially in the reds (which are my favorite colors in Inktense), but I do enjoy using them for sketches.

– Del

- Delo Delofasht
            Mrs. Leadhead

I’ve been working with Inktense pencils, like their dazzling colors very much, and have just started a new floral piece with them. Poppy Red and Fuchsia are better than the other reds and Sun Yellow is more lightfast than Cadmium Yellow, according to the lightfastness data on the Derwent website. I’ve been custom-mixing some of the colors I need, with the lightfastness chart at my side as a guide. I also spray the finished art with Krylon UV-resistant spray to help protect it from UV rays. For good measure, I’m also switching to having artwork with lots of reds, carmines, and pinks framed under conservation glass.
                I’ve been using Inktense pencils on Aquabord, formerly called “Claybord Textured”, which has little bumps that really grab the pigment. Once the damp brush hits it- whoosh!- it dissolves into a luscious wash and the tiny bumps are not so apparent.
                They say that Inktense pigment is permanent (and it certainly is more staining). I learned that if I let it dry on Aquabord a long time- like overnight- I can use either some type of scrubbing brush or angle shader brush (wetted with clear water) to lift the color- or use a battery-powered eraser. It may not return to the pure white of the board, but it lifts a lot. Just remember to clean off those eraser crumbs right away!
                Kristy
                http://www.artshow.com/kutch/workshops.html

Kristy Kutch
                www.artshow.com/kutch

dhara

ooh wow!
                    i love the vibrant colors of Derwent Inktense.

just got the 24 box. Played with it a bit and was stunned when i added water to the pencil strokes. Such beautiful colors.

Seeing this 72 color chart makes me want more :D
                    But first, i have to play a bit more with my 24 box

thanks for showing us the chart

Laura D

Wow, I know from experience how much work these color chart can be. (You really don’t want to know about mine- giggle.) The blacks and dark greys are something that wc artists tend to stay away from as they can muddy the other colors. I’d suggest you use complementary colors to do your shading. Diox Purple is wonderful for underpainting, I think Derwent’s Deep Violet is Diox pigment.

Kristy, one of the best things I’ve found to get back to the virgin state of the paper is Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge. There are no chemicals (in the original version) it’s just the structure of the sponge that makes it work so well. I’ve been able to get back to white with every color but the phthalocyenes and quincridone magenta. As with any lifting technique you have to use a very gentle touch and a lot of patience.

[FONT=Arial]I'll check in again as soon as I can. :wave: [/COLOR]
                        [FONT=Arial]____________________________________________
                        [FONT=Arial]Laura
                        [FONT=Arial]***"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. And dance like no one is watching." – Anonymous!*** [FONT=Arial]http://www.lauradicus.com

Mrs. Leadhead

Mr. Clean!!! Wow- I had read a similar hint a few years ago but dismissed it, thinking that there must be some additive to the sponge which might affect the art surface. Now I’ll need to add that to my shopping list.
                            Thanks, Luara!
                            Kristy
                            http://www.artshow.com/kutch

Kristy Kutch
                            www.artshow.com/kutch

friesin

Linda, thank you so much for this card !!

I am very fond of Inktense pencils, and I have just ordered the 72 range :clap:

Can’ t wait to get them :thumbsup:

HarvestMoon

Glad you guys like the chart…. now I need to actually use them to do something…. it has been a long time since I did a painting only with the inktense…so if these don’t inspire me nothing will!

Harvest Moon 🐐

Laura D

Kristy, they are cheeeeeeep too.

Linda, scribble and spritz!

[FONT=Arial]I'll check in again as soon as I can. :wave: [/COLOR]
                                        [FONT=Arial]____________________________________________
                                        [FONT=Arial]Laura
                                        [FONT=Arial]***"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. And dance like no one is watching." – Anonymous!*** [FONT=Arial]http://www.lauradicus.com

vanity

Unfortunately , not many of the new colours are lightfast :(
                                            On the other hand… I am wondering in what way does using water affect lightfastness. Not that I am an expert , but I think it may make the pigment less lightfast (?) . Wouldn’t that make Inktense a medium that is non-archival anyway?

https://www.instagram.com/clay_and_ink/
                                            https://www.deviantart.com/whitewillows
                                            Formerly vanity

HarvestMoon

Vanity- I don’t know about the lightfast issues… YIPES… I thought after the Prismacolor lightfast fiasco that everyone making NEW products for artist would surely make them lightfast…. huge SIGH…..this set was NOT CHEAP either….

Harvest Moon 🐐

vanity

That is why I think of wc pencil as a medium that is great for illustrating / working with sketchbook etc. and not for creating pictures that we’d like to see hanging on the wall.
                                                    p.s Why Sanford’s Lightfast pencils were a fiasco ?

Formerly vanity

HarvestMoon

p.s Why Sanford’s Lightfast pencils were a fiasco ?

no, not their lightfast line- but the regular line of prismacolors that was billed for many years as being for artists….

Harvest Moon 🐐

vanity

Oh , I see.
                                                            I think I am going to buy them anyway . My cp addiction is too strong ;)

Formerly vanity

HarvestMoon

Oh , I see.
                                                                I think I am going to buy them anyway . My cp addiction is too strong ;)

yes- exactly…. me too….I am totally fascinated by them….

Harvest Moon 🐐

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Derwent Inktense- 72 Color Chart’ is closed to new replies.