Home Forums Explore Subjects Florals and Botanical Sunflowers — xpost in collage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    KiwiKate

I’m playing with collage and did this on 12×9 140lb cheap watercolor paper. Under-painted with acrylic, glued wrinkled tissue paper on with Floetrol, torn pages from a catalog with a little gesso for the white.

I cross posted because it doesn’t seem that the other page is very active and I’d really appreciate comments and critiques!

Kate
        Henderson, Nevada
        C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

Lovely Kate! You could also try to make smaller petals by cutting a strip of paper and the cutting petals into strip leaving 1 edge uncut. Then bend the paper to the shape of the flower center. If the paper is stiff then the petals may even stand out giving a 3-D look.

Christel

KiwiKate

Thanks for your helpful comments Christel!

Kate
            Henderson, Nevada
            C&C always welcomed!

I like the balance of tones here Kate – those strong leaves are very nice!
            I think I’d have left the gesso off the flower near centre and concentrated instead on petal shape and differing strengths of the yellows – to bring some forward and others back.
            Interesting piece though and good to see the flowers done in a different medium!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

catjoe

This is so interesting and fun that my fingers are itching to start one of my own. Very pretty too!

Kathy
                I love friends to visit my blog: My Blog: Minding My P's with Q

KiwiKate

Thanks for your comments Maureen and Kathy. Your observations are VERY helpful Maureen and I appreciate them.

Kate
                    Henderson, Nevada
                    C&C always welcomed!

Bill

Very creative, Kate. I really like all the wonderful textures. A very nice work.
                        Bill

Be kinder than necessary

KiwiKate

Thanks Bill — it was fun!

Kate
                            Henderson, Nevada
                            C&C always welcomed!

I really like your collage! The textures add interest and variation to your papers.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

KiwiKate

I appreciate your comment Char. Always fun to try something new.

Kate
                                Henderson, Nevada
                                C&C always welcomed!

Margaretta

That is fun: explosive as are sunflowers! Collage is a great idea for flowers.:)

Through striving, to the stars.:confused:

KiwiKate

Thanks Margaretta. I’m thinking I might try more collage flowers — as you say, it works well for florals.

Kate
                                        Henderson, Nevada
                                        C&C always welcomed!

robertsloan2

That’s a lively, interesting collage. Can’t really critique or help but I do like it, you’ve got a strong feeling in this one. I love how you did the leaves, they look very natural and fall every which way like they really do.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                                            Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                                            blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

KiwiKate

Thanks for your nice comments Robert!

Kate
                                                Henderson, Nevada
                                                C&C always welcomed!

Don’t forget this month’s Plant Parade – still a week to go – plenty of time for anyone wishing to join in! .. hint… hint!!!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.