WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Switzerland

Hails from Hong Kong
Re: Online Art Courses...

i am currently taking a BBA course which include "Introduction to Western Art", but I found it a little bit difficult...
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2015, 04:27 PM

You can find some good tutorials here:
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/
https://www.artistsnetworkuniversity.com/catalog
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2015, 10:17 AM
sydney

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_2417
Hello everyone,

I am currently looking at some online art courses and am wondering if anyone has tried any that were any good.

Background: While in High School, I took every single art course I could to strengthen my skills. I have not really drawn much since then and am now getting back into it in a MASSIVE way. What I would really love is to learn how to draw professionally. Learn color theory, anatomy, perspective, proportions etc... I can draw what I look at quite good but I lack the necessary skills to one day become a professional artist.

My overall goal is to create digital art as my background in the digital media is quite strong.

I do not desire to get a degree as I have a full time job and would like to keep it till the art thing takes off.

Here is one place I found that looks not bad. Anyone tried it out? http://www.drawingprofessor.com/lessons/index.html

Thanks for your input!

go to jeff watts atelier on the web cheers
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2015, 10:18 AM
sydney

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_2417
Hello everyone,

I am currently looking at some online art courses and am wondering if anyone has tried any that were any good.

Background: While in High School, I took every single art course I could to strengthen my skills. I have not really drawn much since then and am now getting back into it in a MASSIVE way. What I would really love is to learn how to draw professionally. Learn color theory, anatomy, perspective, proportions etc... I can draw what I look at quite good but I lack the necessary skills to one day become a professional artist.

My overall goal is to create digital art as my background in the digital media is quite strong.

I do not desire to get a degree as I have a full time job and would like to keep it till the art thing takes off.

Here is one place I found that looks not bad. Anyone tried it out? http://www.drawingprofessor.com/lessons/index.html

Thanks for your input!

go to jeff watts atelier on the web cheers
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2015, 07:01 AM

Thank you for sharing!!!hi
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Montalban, Philippines

Hails from United States

The virtual instructor is the best I have found. He was not only a professional teacher but started a whole art movement.
He also has several complete courses and many free lessons. There is a new lesson each week online open to members and if you miss it there will be a copy of it posted on the site.
The only thing that is missing is the classroom.
Ken
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Bloomington, Indiana

I've found a wonderful site by an artist named Dianne Mize. She was an art teacher for 30 years. Her videos only cost $6 a piece (which almost stopped me from trying one of them, I figured I'd be getting a short clip; but instead I got an hour long lesson that taught me more about value and using neutral colors than I've learned from full courses). I've since bought most of her videos and she is an amazing teacher who paints beautiful landscapes. Richard Schmid says in his book, 'learn from everyone; but, make sure they have something worthwhile to teach you'--Dianne has lots to teach and all of it so far is very, very worthwhile (she hits a lot of basics that those of us who are self-taught lack, plus she has a way of putting more complex concepts in a way that is very easy to understand). She so far has 13 lessons, each broken into four videos so everything is covered in depth. She releases a new video every week. She says repeatedly, she is teaching concepts that can be used in any area of art, she doesn't just do a demonstration that might show you how they do something; but not why they do it and/or when it should be done. Unlike other sites, she gets right back to you if you have a problem or a question which I found refreshing! Hope this helps others as much as she has helped me! Her site is Diannemize.com

Last edited by sue burke : 03-06-2016 at 03:02 PM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2016, 05:12 PM

You might want to check out the Gnomen workshop. It's a by the month subscription. They have a lot of digital resources.
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2016, 09:45 AM

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 12:40 AM
Utica, NY

Hails from United States

I never tried that one out before.. I watch a lot of you tube videos, there is a Illustrator I know he has his own art page where you can sign up a monthly subscription and you can take his online courses as much as you want. He is a Children's book Illustrator named Will Terry. There is a lot of classes on drawing and traditional work. If you like Animation there is a you tube thread for Artist/Animator Aaron Blaise former Disney Animator. His site is awesome. it's called Creatureartteacher.com He teaches everything and digital media as well as traditional. His courses have different price ranges but well worth it. He also does like classes online if they fit into your work schedule. Will Terry does live courses as well. I have a lot of professional contacts let me know if you have other interests..If you like fantasy art look at http://www.donatoart.com/middleearth.html Donato is the creator of middle earth art work lord of the rings..He is a traditional fine art painter, he resides in Brooklyn NY and is in the Society of Illustrators. he works both traditionally and digital. I work ft too and a part time illustrator. I have a degree but really it's a piece of paper. You can make it without one it's just a lot harder ..
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2016, 08:46 AM

There's an advert in the latest The Artist magazine from http://www.thegreatcourses.co.uk/5artk, offering their "How to Draw" course for £34.99 (download or dvd)

I'm giving serious thought to buying it, but wondered if anyone here had any experience of it?

Thanks
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2016, 07:27 AM

I am so sorry that you felt this way. You absolutely can keep all the lessons you paid for, you only have to download them before your cancel your monthly subscription.
Please note, the subscription payment gives you access to all the extra materials available on the online campus, and allows you to post your assignments and discuss them with other students. We openly state that there is no instructor, but we have many long term students who are more than capable and willing to help all levels of students.
We have recently revamped our monthly newsletter. You can see this month's version here, and you can also sign up to receive it in your inbox.
If you will get in touch with me through our website, I will make sure you get the lessons you purchased.
Jacqui Seddon
Virtual Art Academy, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff01
RE: Virtual Art Academy: Be aware that if you decide to stop even after a year .....you loose all the material you have paid for which I consider to be unfair. It is geared to keep the money flowing in on a month basis once you have signed up. There is no feedback the news letter is pretty much non existant. I was on there for about a year and pretty well decided it was a waste of money. I would have been far better of just buying some decent reference books with all the money I outlayed.

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 04:53 PM
Bloomington, Indiana

Dianne Mize, a former high school art teacher, gives the most fantastic lessons for $10 a video (most videos are an hour long)....and she really TEACHES! She has a way of explaining things that make even the most difficult concepts seem simple. She doesn't just paint and have you follow along. At present she has 22 Lessons (each broken into 4 videos)--things like aerial perspective, texture, light and shadow, etc. I eagerly await ever Friday when she releases a new video lesson. She also has a facebook page. Wonderful lady!!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2017, 10:38 PM
Iowa

Hails from United States

I also enjoy Dianne Mize. She also has plenty of free "quick tip" videos on Youtube. If you ask her a question, she answers it very well.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 10:52 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States

I wish there was a site for reviewing and critiquing all manner of online art classes. It is 2018 now and there are more and more people getting into the online teaching business, some obviously pushing their products, others only a step ahead of myself. And the fees are rising steadily. I need to spend wisely and need to know if there is a mechanism for honest description of online classes. Anyone have any suggestions? You can tell I've been burnt and need to be more selective, but it's like stumbling in the dark.