Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Questions about un-stretched canvas

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    maggie latham

Hello everyone,

As I work mostly in watercolour/gouache and pastel I don’t often pop over to this forum…but over the last couple of years I have been slowly (very slowly) trying to make a transition into painting with oil. I am used to working in watercolour on paper in a very loose intuitive way where my composition ‘evolves through my painting process’…. and am used to using a mat/mount as a compositional and editing tool. I would much prefer (initially anyway) to paint loosely and intuitively in oil on un-stretched canvas, and then crop the plaiting (or study) once dry before gluing onto a panel. Do any of you work in this way?

I have a couple of questions about painting on un-stretched canvas.

1. Would I buy primed un-stretched canvas on a roll…or can you prime canvas even when it is not attached to a solid support? What brands are better quality?

2. What support is best for initially attaching loose canvas…tape? If so what kind works best? What support is best for this also?

3. Once you un-tape the canvas from the support to allow it to ‘dry’ can these paintings be hung on a line (like a washing line with pegs or something similar to dry or do they need to dry still taped to the support?

4. When the painting is dry can the composition be edited by cutting the canvas and oil paint…. in the same way I would edit a composition in watercolour by cropping down? If so what is the best way or utensil for cutting canvas that has paint on it?

5. Once the painting is dry, what is the best and most archival (non yellowing) glue to paste the canvas to a panel?

6. Would the panel have to be primed with anything…like Gac 100 or something to stop bleeding from masonite, luan or birch ply? Would the edges of the panel have to be sealed also if I were to frame in a floating frame with a small space between the frame and the panel?

I’m sure there are many threads already covering these topics, and I would be very grateful if you could post links to the threads in any reply.

Thanking everyone in advance,

Maggie

jmaris10

I’ll try to answer your questions.

1) The canvas must be stretched to something if you don’t want to pull your hair out from frustration while priming it. Buying primed canvas in a roll is a time saver, they have all kinds of priming – single, double, etc. Frederix sells good primed canvas rolls.

2) Not sure I understand what you mean. Stretch canvas to stretchers, you can always take it off the stretchers later.If you dont want to use staples, try push pins or tacks

3) They need to dry flat, so the air can get to them and dry them.

4) Why not? Is the composition police coming to your home to fine you for cutting your canvas? How about good quality scissors?

5) Not sure. But why would you want to do this? Did the stretchers break?
            http://www.art-boards.com/canvaspanels.htm
            that link might be of use to you.

Don’t make things harder than they have to be.

maggie latham

Thanks for your input and ideas.

To clarify, I want to mount the finished dried paintings onto panels rather than stretch them on stretcher bars.

The only reason I want to work on pieces of canvas rather than a panel initially is because I am used to working larger and cropping down in watercolour and can’t quite get into the mind shift of painting straight onto a panel and then that Is it with the composition.

I know a lot of oil painters work on un-stretched canvas attached to board by tape when they work in the field or are travelling….and I am just curious about the ins and outs of it all.

I live in fear of the composition police knocking on my door!!!!! :D Composition by cropping…surely must be a crime in itself!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (I think I’ll write a blog post about it)…seriously.

Maggie

jolter

I live in fear of the composition police knocking on my door!!!!! Composition by cropping…surely must be a crime in itself!!! (I think I’ll write a blog post about it)…seriously.

I do too, lol, and would love to hear your thoughts. BTW, I visited your blog and was absolutely inspired by your thoughts on letting go. I also loved your quotes from Mother Theresa, which I want to copy and post every where around my house.

Thanks for sharing.

Joey

Favorite Painters (in order): Suzanne Valadon, Vincent Van Gogh, Nicolas Uribe, Chaim Soutine, Amedeo Modigliani, Maurice de Vlaminck, Pablo Picasso, Anselm Kiefer, Claude Monet, Cezanne (still Lifes only), Scott Burdick, Jenny Saville, Dennis Sheehan, Lovis Corinth, Lucian Freud, Gustave Courbet, Max Pechstein, Ernst Kirchner, Andre Derain, Jeff Hein, Kent Williams and George Inness.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vraisfaux/
                    cezanne

As I work mostly in watercolour/gouache and pastel I don’t often pop over to this forum…but over the last couple of years I have been slowly (very slowly) trying to make a transition into painting with oil. I am used to working in watercolour on paper in a very loose intuitive way where my composition ‘evolves through my painting process’…. and am used to using a mat/mount as a compositional and editing tool. I would much prefer (initially anyway) to paint loosely and intuitively in oil on un-stretched canvas, and then crop the plaiting (or study) once dry before gluing onto a panel. Do any of you work in this way?

Since you wish to get into oil painting, might I suggest that you paint on paper either oil painting paper or prime some paper with gesso yourself, and tape the paper to a board. You then have the advantage of still using paper, can still crop the image if you wish and gain confidence in oil painting as well.

dirtysteev

why not just skip the canvas? if you are going to mount on panels later anyhow, just paint on panels. you may be able to even crop several compositions out of a single ‘painting’. might make for an interesting series.

maggie latham

Joey: thank you for your kind words about my blog posts….so glad that those two struck a cord with you.

Cezanne: I have been using both gessoed paper and canvas paper and small panels….so I have been experimenting quite a bit. All good ideas for trying out oil….thank you. Have also been making colour charts of colour mixes. You are right it is a good way to gain confidence in the medium. I should probably stop being silly about this and just commit to a composition on canvas or panel and start paying more e attention to composition skills rather than feeling I need to crop. Cropping and matting are hangovers from water media on paper…..just a different way of working I guess.

Dirtysteev: Do you mean cut a large panel up after the painting has dried? …. if that is what you mean…how would you do this???? Don’t think I have the tools for that!!!! I have been using small panels (cut to size at the store) which I seal and gesso myself from ply and masonite…..and have had some successful little paintings using them.

I recently read in an art magazine about a travelling artist who uses pieces of canvas taped to a drawing board….who then mounts the canvas to panels once the painting is dry…and thought that that might be a good way of working for me….but I am trying to work out all the nuances first and wondered if any one on WC had any experience with this way of working with tried and tested materials.

Maggie

Ribera

Mags,
                                    Why would you prefer paintin’ on an unstretched canvas, per se; the difference?! At any rate, you can; it’s been done brilliantly for centuries. Mount it on a hard surface.
                                    As with any oil paint surface, it needs priming. Buy it primed, or prime it.
                                    Many of the greatest artists in history have worked veery loose, so that’s not necessarily a problem.
                                    Best,
                                    r.

Joe

Hello everyone,

Yes I do. Not often, but sometimes, and for the same reason: to paint loosely without worrying about a predetermined canvas size. The process is pretty simple and from your questions, you’re probably worrying a little too much about the details.

1. Would I buy primed un-stretched canvas on a roll…or can you prime canvas even when it is not attached to a solid support? What brands are better quality?

Like jmaris said, I don’t know if it’s practical to prime an unstretched piece of canvas, so for this method or working, it’ll be simplest if you buy a roll or pre-primed canvas. You can get acrylic primed, oil primed, single primed, double primed, canvas or linen, in a pretty wide price range. Since you’re still experimenting with oils, a less expensive acrylic single-primed canvas would be a good place to start.

2. What support is best for initially attaching loose canvas…tape? If so what kind works best? What support is best for this also?

I have a wall in my studio where I don’t have to worry about making a mess, so I just cut a piece of canvas from the roll and thumbtack it to the wall. I’ve read that Pierre Bonnard worked this way. Taping it down would also work and since you’ll be trimming it down to size later, I wouldn’t worry too much about what kind of tape. If you don’t have a wall to use, find a smooth board – hardboard, plywood, whatever, set that on your easel and tape the canvas to that. This is basically how Richard Schmid works en plein air – at least that’s how he does it in his DVDs. Also, I think Schmid has these canvases mounted on stretchers later, but gluing to a panel will also work.

3. Once you un-tape the canvas from the support to allow it to ‘dry’ can these paintings be hung on a line (like a washing line with pegs or something similar to dry or do they need to dry still taped to the support?

I let them dry still taped or tacked to the wall, so that the paint dries while the canvas is perfectly flat. Hanging them from a line would probably work, but if the canvas curls a bit and the paint drys that way, you’re introducing some stress when you flatten it out to glue to a panel later. That’s probably not a problem though, but it seems better to insure that they dry flat.

4. When the painting is dry can the composition be edited by cutting the canvas and oil paint…. in the same way I would edit a composition in watercolour by cropping down? If so what is the best way or utensil for cutting canvas that has paint on it?

You can easily cut through canvas and dry paint with a sharp utility knife. I would cut it with an extra 1/2 inch border all around, then do the final trimming after it you glue the canvas to a panel – that gives you a little margin for error.

5. Once the painting is dry, what is the best and most archival (non yellowing) glue to paste the canvas to a panel?

I settled on using an acrylic gel medium as a glue. It’s sold as a medium but works great as a glue and is completely archival (except for the fact that it’s not a reversible process if you ever want to remove the canvas.)

The trickiest thing with this whole process is gluing the canvas down to a panel and getting any air bubbles out, I use a rubber brayer to squeeze out any air bubbles, but if I have any thickly painted passages, I don’t like to press to hard with the brayer. But as long as you’re careful, it shouldn’t be a problem.

6. Would the panel have to be primed with anything…like Gac 100 or something to stop bleeding from masonite, luan or birch ply? Would the edges of the panel have to be sealed also if I were to frame in a floating frame with a small space between the frame and the panel?

To be safe, I do seal the board first with Gac 100. When using an acrylic gel medium for the glue, this may not be necessary, but I’d rather play it safe. I usually seal the panel edges too, hoping that that makes them a little more stable.

I’m sure there are many threads already covering these topics, and I would be very grateful if you could post links to the threads in any reply.

Thanking everyone in advance,

Maggie

Hope that helps.

DebSpinks

Maggie, I’ve done a few small paintings on bits of Fredricks unstretched, gessoed canvas sheets – was just doodling around and liked the result. I cut them down and used acrylic gloss medium to glue them to 1/8″ manufacturer-gessoed hardboard. I stacked a heavy board and books on them overnight to provide a stronger bond. So far they are holding up great – they are small – 5×8″ and 8×10″, and fit nicely into inexpensive photo frames – I just remove the glass.

I had one I didn’t particularly like after I had mounted it this way – I was able to peel it off the panel after it dried, and it took the panel’s gesso off with it but with no damage to the panel itself. I figure I can re-gesso the panel and use it for another painting.

I also paint directly on gessoed panels – I like the different feel of each surface.

Debra

Debra
                                            Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
                                            Debra Spinks Art on Facebook & Instagram

Hi Maggie,
                                            Joe has most of the answers in his post. I would go with any good quality pre-primed canvas…Fredricks is perfect. Tape it to whatever support you want while working on it. If you can, leave it taped at least until it is dry to touch. When it is completely dry you can cut it with a utility knife and a metal rular as a guide.
                                            To play it safe I’d cut it just a tad oversized in case of any shrinkage when gluing to your board. Then when it is dry you can trim it again with a utility knife. They have some good glues at Judsons. Gamblin PVA…$10.00. Be careful when using the brayer against your painted surface but you have to get it flat. Normally, people who paint on unstretched canvas mount their paintings on stretcher boards and staple them so there is no worry about the surface…so be careful.
                                            Luan, Birch and untempered Masonite do not bleed anything so there really is no need to seal them. If you use tempered masonite (the darker oil impregnated masonite) you will need to seal the glue-side surface and edges to keep the oil from leaching into the canvas eventually. How it gets through the PVA glue is a mystery to me but seal it to play it safe….or buy Untempered masonite.
                                            Good luck Maggie,
                                            Ron

maggie latham

Ribera: thank you for taking the time to comment and your advice.

Joe: a huge thank you for your answers. This is exactly the type of precise advice which I need right now. BTW, thanks for mentioning Richard Schmid. I don’t have the DVD, but do have his Alla Prima book…. and have never really read it before. I will drag it off the shelf now (lol)

Debra, I have a lot of panels I had cut last year…so I will start experimenting!

Ron: thank you for your advice. Joe jumped in and answered the questions after I pm’d you.

Just want to say that this is what I love about WC so much. Tried and tested answers and advice by seasoned artists. Over the months when I get more of a handle with using oils I’ll post some of my paintings.

Maggie

Joe

Just fyi, if you google ‘Pierre Bonnard unstretched canvas’, you can find several references to his preference of painting on unstretched canvas pinned to the wall. Here’s a really good one with some photos of Bonnard in his studio with canvases pinned to the wall – follow the link for ‘stretched/unstretched’:
                                                    http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/1998/bonnard/perception_process/index.html

maggie latham

Joe,

This link is wonderful. Who would have thought! I’m not that familiar with his work, but will Google to find out more. It sounds very freeing to me, to pin canvas to the wall and just paint. I love the idea of painting several at one time….this makes absolute sense as this is the way I work In watercolour (because of drying time between washes)… I always have four or five paintings on the go at one time. Plus the work runs in a series if you use the same colour palette. I can really work up momentum working this way. Can’t wait to get some canvas now! I have lots of panels ready to paint on…but feel totally beholden to them….(even though I had them cut to specific sizes and sealed and primed them myself)……if you know what I mean. Started reading the schmid book too!

Maggie

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Questions about un-stretched canvas’ is closed to new replies.