Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio Clipper Sketch

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tmwilliams

Practicing my watercolor skills – sketched a small (7×10) clipper.

I was better off when I had just used some slight cerulean highlights on the sails to suggest the curve and shadow. Trying to deepen the colors didn’t go that well.

Precision is still lacking, but I painted her as I listened to a ballgame on the radio. It’s a concept sketch…my intent is to paint a much larger acrylic version on canvas.

It’s based on a painting my grandfather did in 1941 (I never met him) that after some research I found he copied from an artist named Devereaux. I’ve never found the original oil, only the collectors plate version…

My guess is that he saw the painting in a magazine.

Thomas

exsailor

Looks good to me…………………Jim

shadye1

Full spread of sail, very nice.

janinep7

Very nicely painted. You’re progressing so fast! My only observation is that the ship appears to be right smack in the middle of the page… I wonder if moving if off to one side or the other would be more dynamic, so that it’s not so even? That might make it look more like it’s sailing toward the viewer, coming from somewhere. As I look at it on my screen, I feel the impulse to move the ship to the left. But that’s an observation maybe to try for next time. This one is really good. :)

tmwilliams

Very nicely painted. You’re progressing so fast! My only observation is that the ship appears to be right smack in the middle of the page… I wonder if moving if off to one side or the other would be more dynamic, so that it’s not so even? That might make it look more like it’s sailing toward the viewer, coming from somewhere. As I look at it on my screen, I feel the impulse to move the ship to the left. But that’s an observation maybe to try for next time. This one is really good. :)

I think you’re spot on. My grandfather had a small schooner to the viewer’s right. When I enlarge this, I will offset it and add another vessel in the distance.

Thanks!

Thomas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.