Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio Gah, help! Can I salvage my painting?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    amyableart

I am an amateur painter. It’s a hobby right now, but I’ve done a few commissions. My friend asked me to do a painting of her husband’s old boat as a birthday gift. I had to use a few photos together to get the boat and the dock together.

I am having trouble with the perspective of the top of the boat as well as the way the boat is sitting in the water.

Have I totally screwed this up and do I have to start over or is there anyway I can salvage it? :crying:

Thank you

RBloechl

The boat and the dock are at different perspective planes. That’s OK, the stern could be further away from the dock than the front. Too late to change that now. My perspective lines indicate how the dock and boat shapes should appear, with the positioning you have. Just add your darker details following the guidelines I’ve shown, and you should be able to salvage the painting. :)

Rich

jscottb

One little trick that I have for perspective is to use something very familiar: a clock. I look at every line in the painting and assign it a time, as represented by the hour hand. (3:00 is 90 degrees or level, so is 9:00). It is just a gimmick, but it helps.

amyableart

Thank you! I’ll be giving it a try this morning!

clode

good ideas.. the painting can be saved.

http://aquableu32.fr/wp[/url]

DaveCrow

Boats are not easy. Lots of tricky curves and angles in them. Worse is trying to paint them from life, they keep moving.

I think there is still hope for this painting.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.