Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil pastell newbie question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Reinhard1

I am looking into the possibilty to try my hand with pastells. Faber Castell Pitt-Pastell or Stabilo CarbOthello? Any help is appreciated. Tried to ask in the Pastell forum, but they don’t accept new posts. In case I needed to be transferred, please do.
        Thanks
        Reinhard

Cheers , Reinhard
        How do you know you can't if you didn't try? And even if you failed the first time, try, try, try ..... one day you will succeed and be proud.

ManedWolf

Stabilo used to call CarbOthellos ‘Farbige Kohlestift / Colored charcoal’ and that’s how they feel. Some talk is in this thread.

I haven’t used FC’s pastel pencils but FC’s pastel sticks are more scratchy than Conté Carres and Derwent’s older, now discontinued pastels.

Heikki

Pingpongfan

Hello Reinhard. Nice to see you back. I haven’t tried pastels except for one CarbOthelli which I found a bit rough, sort of scratchy. It is a white one. At one time I did a drawing that needed a lot of white and I bought every kind of white pencil I could find. Good luck with your new endeavour. It is always interesting and exciting to try a different medium.
                Vens

Hello, Reinhard. I, too, found it hard to navigate the Pastel forum and find where to post. Look at the soft Pastel studio and and Gallery

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149

That’s where you will be able to post.

I think you might have tried to post in a closed information part of the forum where they don’t take posts.

Penny
                I live in Wiltshire, England
                “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Reinhard1

Vens, thanks a lot. I will have to see how these pencils fit my personal feelings.

Heikki, thanks. I really appreciate your kind info. The feeling with CarbOthello really is a bit like charcoal.

Penny, many thanks for that link. I would not have found it.

Btw. In the meantime I have ordered, and received, a box of 60 CarbOthello. The reason was Cuong Nguyen. He has published 3 little eBooks on pastells in portraits – this is what I am hooked on – using CarbOthello. With this I hope I will be able to get my feet wet in pastels and see how my transition from graphite and coloured pencils might evolve.

Cheers , Reinhard
                    How do you know you can't if you didn't try? And even if you failed the first time, try, try, try ..... one day you will succeed and be proud.

You are welcome! I have been looking at Carbothello pastels, too. Good luck with using yours.

Penny
                    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

marksmomagain

I use Carb-Othello alot (amongst others).

Want some absurdly soft pastel pencils.. use cretacolor ones. But be warned, they are so soft that they are consumed at an insane speed.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

RMart61

I have the 60 piece Carb-Othello set and i just cant get the feel for them. Alot of people like them tbough. I do like how you can layer light over dark with pastels which you cant do with cp’s.

Rick

Thanks for your thoughts, Rick. Do you find them too hard, or too soft?

Penny

Thanks for the information on Cretacolor, Tiago.

Penny

marksmomagain

I use Cretacolors too. They are indeed insanely soft.

robertsloan2

I have the 60 color Carb Othello set and love them. They were my favorites for a good long time though I also had the Cretacolor set. They’re excellent. From samples I’ve tried, the amount of variation between brands on pastel pencils isn’t as great as between other types of colored pencils, so it couldn’t hurt to expand to more than one set.

The colors tend not to match across brands except for things like black, white and lemon yellow. So you’ll wind up with a better assortment of greens and browns and blues if you get multiple sets over the long run.

Even the General’s set is pretty good. Enjoy them.

One tip for Carb Othello but it affects all pastel pencils – internal breakage that you don’t see until you try to sharpen it. Use sharpeners with a brand new blade, once there is any friction trying to sharpen, swap out for a new blade either replaceable blade or replace the hand sharpener. Or, and this is safest in the long run, electric or hand crank sharpeners. I use the Multi-Point from Jerry’s Artarama and have literally had no trouble with it – and no more points breaking off the pastel pencils.

The other way to baby them and keep them safe is to get an elastic band case for the set, either something like the Global canvas or leather pencil cases or the roll-ups like the Derwent or Niji canvas rolls for pencils. I have my Carb Othellos in two Niji canvas rolls that I got from Blick for about $5 each and they have stayed perfectly safe and organized in them.

Letting them stay in their native tins, if the tin drops or even tilts on its side, pencils bang together and the core can crack – resulting in the point dropping off when it gets close to the crack. This happens to soft colored pencils like Prismacolor Premier too. So get a good case for your pastel pencils and store them in that, until then make sure the tin is safe, flat on a sturdy surface and not banged around by children or cats. Try not to drop the pencils on the floor while using them.

I liked the hand crank sharpener better than electric in part because of power outages and later to reduce the amount of cords coming onto my desk.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                                    Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                                    blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

chuas2

Just my own opinion of course, I don’t care for the Cretacolor pencils. The color range is excellent, but the core is bound to the wood very tightly, so they really break easily when sharpened. I always use a #11 Exacto blade to sharpen my pencils. The only handheld sharpener that sometimes doesn’t break the core are the Koh-I-Noor.

My favorite pastel pencil is Caran D’Ache. The range of lights and darks is wonderful, and they’re very smooth.

Carbothello is my second choice, and the old Derwents third (they used to have more “odd” colors, which I liked).

But all are fun! Happy adventures!
                                        Kris

Fuchur

It depends on what you prefer. If lightfastness is an issue for you then forget about the Carbothellos, they have very poor ratings. The Faber Castell Pitt Pastel 60 pencils set has about 20 or so pencils with only 1 or 2 stars. The rest have 3 stars, meaning they are of the highest lightfastness (ASTM I or II). The Carbothellos go by a 5 star system and very few of them have 4 or 5 stars, most have 3 or less which is not acceptable in my book. I did buy 2 or 3 of the 5 star pencils, but they feel very much like the Pitt Pastels, maybe a bit more scratchy. I would most definitely opt for the Pitt Pastels and maybe get a few Caran d’Ache pastel pencils to even out the poor green range in the Pitt Pastels (their greens have louzy lightfasness ratings, louzy….). Caran d’Ache pastel pencils are quite expensive, but very soft and incredibly pigmented. They also go by a 5 star system, so I got myself a couple of 5 star pencils.

A wonderful pastel pencil are the pencils from Conte à Paris. They are bigger than regular pencils, but they have nice purples and greens of the highest lightfastness (a 4 star system, I think) that are missing in the Pitt Pastel set. Their only disadvantage is that you need to go dig on the internet for the lightfastness ratings as they do not note them on the pencil itself. But I love them and have bought quite some to complete my Pitt Pastel set :)

Is there a Gerstäcker anywhere near you? They have all the pencils I mentioned above and you could get one or two to try them out. My favourite are the Pitt Pastels, those I use most and Gerstäcker sells them for a very fair price of 1.40€ or so per pencil.

Edit: Best pastel paper by far is the Pastelmat, it is a bit expensive, but sooo worth it. Every couple months Gerstäcker has a sale where they sell the pastelmat paper pads or single sheets for 30% less than their usual price. I bought a stock last time :)

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
                                            That perches in the soul -
                                            And sings the tune without the words -
                                            And never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.