WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#361   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Minneapolis area

Hails from United States
Re: Basics 101: Class 2 - Foundation of Perspective

Getting the VP off the paper was a challenge. I decided to use tic marks on the edge of the paper after playing with with angles, chords of an arc, reference measurements / ratios off the image, and calculating then tracing angles for the 3-box sketch. Way too much work the way I was doing it.

I decided to get tic marks on the edge by taping paper to my monitor and tracing reference lines using a straightedge and charcoal pencil. 10 minutes and done. Here is the "show your work" for this assignment. I will upload finished 1, 2, 3 VP drawings when the 3-box drawing is complete. (Can I skip the chair and table if my 3 box is good enough? heh.

Here is the reference photo, quick sketch with screwed up angles (fun) - GLAD we had the straight line practice, reference measurements (tedious), trace lines to get EDGE TIC's (satisfying)

[ tic line tutorial http://scientificartist.blogspot.com...ve-tips-1.html ]
Attached Images

Last edited by GeneH2016 : 07-04-2016 at 05:11 PM.
  #362   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2016, 08:55 AM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Good study, Gene
It is a nice geometric construction, but personally I think this is far too complicated. And how would you apply it "in the field" ?
I prefer the simple VL's. With a bit of experience you can very well see the serious errors without the need to draw the whole VL. Without going beyond the edge of the paper, it is clear that the back legs are not correct.

I will see what your results will be
BTW, I'd prefer to see a table drawing. You'd be surprised how many pupils cannot draw a correct table. It shouldn't be so difficult, a table is just a box with big holes in the sides .

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom

Last edited by arnoud3272 : 07-05-2016 at 08:58 AM.
  #363   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2016, 11:06 PM
Minneapolis area

Hails from United States

prev reference photos and sketches

CHALLENGES THIS ASSIGNMENT:

All drawings - addendum: I am going to lay off most of the shading for a while for class drawings until we get to that part. I like light drawings, but they keep coming out flat;not enough different shades or values. I'm using a light hand and trying to use the correct pencil for the value I want. Good practice actually, getting the errors out of the way.

Having trouble showing different parts of the boxes without making them look like line drawings.

- PERSPECTIVE DRAWING:
1) just had to stay focused. Should be no errors ... (famous last words)

- TABLE DRAWING:
1) perspective is off. I think I followed my picture too close and did not compensate for the wide lens perspective distortion in the legs. Maybe they should have been vertical?

2) Left table edge VP is off, crosses another part of the same side.

3) Front-Left leg is off compared to the rear-left. Doesn't line up in "the box." See #1 above. I should have compensated.

- CEDAR BOX BLACK BOX:
1) Can't say you didn't warn me. The left box (black box) has 2 problems with lines meeting the VP, 1st is the inside white line, does not meet the "east" VP. I sketched in last minute and didn't catch the error until done. 2nd is the top groove lines again don't line up properly to the "west" VP.

2) Black Box, west edge all smudgy. Was too dark and tried to fix. Issues with 6B and carbon pencil. Again, no loss, getting the issues out of the way. Not sure how to get black-blacks without grinding the pencil into the paper.

2) I still have trouble getting good blacks and enough different shades or values in the light Cedar Box. I think I am afraid of going too dark.
Attached Images

Last edited by GeneH2016 : 07-12-2016 at 11:30 PM.
  #364   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2016, 04:54 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Good job, Gene .
Judging by your self-critic it is clear that you understand fundamental perspective .
But then my question, why did you not correct it ? I guess because you didn't see it before completely finished.
In all "academic" learnings on drawing and painting, the most stressed principle is "first the big shape and the correct proportions, then the details". Check and recheck the first outlines, before even thinking about details, or shading for that matter. It is true that many self-taught artists start by a detail and develop from the inside out. Some are very successful in the end, but it is not the most efficient way to learn.
The table legs: of course they should be vertical . That is another basic advice, ignored very often: do not draw from photos, at least not for simple objects like a table, a box, a bottle. Draw from real life. Your progress will be much faster.

So you understand the subject matter of this class, please move on to class 3

#365   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2016, 05:57 PM
Minneapolis area

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoud3272
Good job, Gene .
Judging by your self-critic it is clear that you understand fundamental perspective .
But then my question, why did you not correct it ? I guess because you didn't see it before completely finished........ another basic advice, ignored very often: do not draw from photos,

Legit questions. At the stage of the Cedar Box Black Box that I both saw the errors and decided I didn't like the drawing as a whole, and didn't think it could be cleanly fixed - it needed a complete re-do.

Regarding the issue with photos - I had accepted this distortion of lines (and even some bowing) from short focal length as part of the photographic process, and until starting drawing, did not see it as a handicap - it was a feature. We used large format to correct for leaning buildings and areas of focus. (front/back swivel/tilt camera function)

All that said - thank you for your CC. I expect more.
  #366   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2016, 09:13 PM

First, cubes and kleenex box

Table and Chair
  #367   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2016, 04:46 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Well done, Ratchet .
I see that you understand it correctly. The final test is the - coherent - sketch of 4 boxes. Don't laugh, it is more difficult than you think.

#368   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2016, 05:05 PM

Thanks Arnoud.

I will draw 4 coherent boxes. That will take me a while because I will set it up as a still life with real boxes. I have never drawn anything from life and I am tired of drawing what amounts to diagrams and guesswork. Real Boxes, If I Can. (Big If)

Anything Drawing is very difficult for me but I enjoy the challenge.

Last edited by Ratchet : 07-19-2016 at 05:33 PM.
  #369   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2016, 08:31 PM

Here is a one minute freehand sketch. I sketched my glass pencil jar (it does taper toward the bottom) my crayon box, my case for my drafting instruments and my Handbook.

I will measure it all out and set up vanishing points but that is the rough sketch of what I am going to draw. I think the drafting instrument case is longer. So I will check that.

Just a rough sketch, because it was 4 boxes in front of my face.

Last edited by Ratchet : 07-19-2016 at 08:54 PM.
  #370   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2016, 12:07 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Well done, Ratchet, not bad at all for "freehand perspective"
Smart move to start drawing from live, it is the fastest way to progress.

#371   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2016, 01:19 PM

Thanks Arnoud

I will have the corrected drawing after I check the angles and correct the proportions.

From this double check, I may find out how to judge angles and proportion correctly in sketching, if these angles and proportions are very much incorrect.
  #372   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2016, 03:54 PM

4 Coherent Boxes, glad you said this was difficult for anyone. I thought it was only myself who had difficulty with perspective.

#373   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2016, 04:33 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Ratchet -
You definitely understand the basics .
But you're a bit too obsessed with the theory . The way of the artist is to sketch first, even when from imagination, then check the perspective. You constructed one completely impossible box.

Anyway, you fulfilled the aims of this class, so please move on to class 3

#374   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2016, 06:02 PM

Thanks Arnoud

I wondered what was wrong with the box. Now it looks obvious. Thanks!

I have never done any of this. I can draw one dimensional boxes, lollipop trees and third grade level houses. This was a real test.

I will stack up some boxes and see if I can sketch them, then correct the perspective.
  #375   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2016, 08:06 AM

Hails from Netherlands

Here are the results....
I got a question about the vanishing points. What if they are to far away and doesn't fit on your paper? I struggled with that during the Kleenex exercise.

Exercise 2, Vanishing points and Exercise 3, first 2 boxes.

Exercise 3, 2 more boxes....

Exercise 4, Tissuebox and table. I wanted to draw the tissue box bigger, but didn't know what to do with the vanishing points. Couldn't get it correct.

Excursies 4, Chair. The legs are to long Shading was difficult.