WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2017, 01:20 PM

Blankets moving on my press

Hi
I recently bought a used Blick 906 etching press. It came with the metal bed and new blankets (3). My question / problem is that after several prints are pulled the blankets start to move around...shift towards the operator side of the press. I'm thinking that my pressure must be too tight on one side or too loose on the other. When I adjust for this my image does not seem to have enough pressure to get a good print. Is it normal for the blankets to move around....anyone use just two Blankets? I print only Intaglio....solar plates.
Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:15 PM

Re: Blankets moving on my press

I don't think it's normal.

That said, it took a while before my press would turn easily without TONS of pressure. Just the top blankets would move, not the bottom cylinder. I'm still not sure what was going on, but I oiled it several times, and before long I didn't have to use so much pressure.

I think you're right about it being a pressure issue. Keep it well lubricated, and I'm pretty sure it will all work out.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 01:55 AM

Re: Blankets moving on my press

Hi,

I have a 906 and though the blanket sometimes moves it's not all that common. You did say blankets (plural)....only use the thinnest of the blankets, not all 3. Three is too many and I believe are actually intended for actual etching or drypoint.

Also don't forget to put either a piece of plexiglass or a thin layer of masonite (or some other wood panel) on top before placing the blanket down to prevent the paper from being pressed into the block. (In case you aren't)

I think that if the press is pulling the blanket to one side I would assume that your pressure is not the same on both sides. My press will do this from time to time, but it usually occurs slightly after I've altered the pressure of the press. If you need to, verify that your pressure is equal by winding the roller all the way down and then slowly start raising it back up using equal turns on both sides. Make sure you only do a turn or so on one side and then do the other...rinse and repeat until you can pass your block, paper, wood or plexi and blanket through the press without putting too much pressure on the block itself. You will know if it's too much....your paper will emboss itself.