WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 AM
A Local Legend
Co Wexford, Ireland

Hails from Ireland
The Spanish Never Came!

A rather cold, cloudy spring morning, but the brave/foolhardy among us decided to go to the seaside village of Duncannon for a paint-out! It's a rather picturesque place, once you look beyond the hideous apartment block right on the beach, and also has a very interesting fortress dating right back to the 16th century (constructed by the Birtish in anticipation of a Spanish invasion). The light was mostly flat and fairly boring in the morning, but the sun made some effort to come through occasionally, so I gave it a little help by warming up my first painting a little, while not implying direct sunlight.

Spring Morning, Duncannon
(11" x 14" Oil on Board)

The sun came out for about half an hour in the afternoon, so I got drawn instantly to this "contre jour"view of the other side of the fort. Since it got cloudy again fairly quickly, I had to rely quite a lot on memory and guesswork to complete the painting!

Afternoon Light, Duncannon
(12" x 12" Oil on Board)

I've got a couple of photos of both scenes on my blog, for anyone who wants a look.

Michael

My Website www.michaelmcguireart.com My Blog http://www.michaelmcguireart.blogspot.com
C&C welcome
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Re: The Spanish Never Came!

Michael, that first one works especially well for me. I think warming up the sky was a great idea. Isn't that why we were given an "artistic license"? The figures on the beach are the perfect touch to add scale to the painting. I want to live there up on the bluff!

Jamie
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Love your use of colors in both of these, really inspiring!
Life is short, back AWAY from the computer, get off yer butt and go PAINT!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 05:28 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

The Barbarians very rarely come Michael, they are usually here amongst and within us already A very successful day out I love how you harmonise the colour.

Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits please.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 AM
A Local Legend
Co Wexford, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
Michael, that first one works especially well for me. I think warming up the sky was a great idea. Isn't that why we were given an "artistic license"? The figures on the beach are the perfect touch to add scale to the painting. I want to live there up on the bluff!

Jamie

Thanks Jamie. I'd say you might feel a bit windswept up there!

Michael

My Website www.michaelmcguireart.com My Blog http://www.michaelmcguireart.blogspot.com
C&C welcome
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 10:12 AM
A Local Legend
Co Wexford, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureartist
Love your use of colors in both of these, really inspiring!

Thanks Drusilla. I have always been attracted to those paintings which use colour as well as tone to model form, so I suppose it has "rubbed off on me" over the years!

Michael

C&C welcome
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 AM
A Local Legend
Co Wexford, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman
The Barbarians very rarely come Michael, they are usually here amongst and within us already A very successful day out I love how you harmonise the colour.

Dave

Thanks Dave. As far as I can recall, the weather did for both the Spanish and the French on both attempts to "free" Ireland from the British. A large portion of the Spanish Armada came a cropper along the West Coast of Ireland, and the remainder decided to "get the hell outta here" and sailed home. I think a couple of French ships did make landfall in the North West at some stage, but they were totally outnumbered by the British forces. I often wonder what we would be like today if we had been colonised by all three countries - probably even madder than we are!

Michael

C&C welcome