Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture "Sheryl"

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Olaf

11″ x 14″ paper size, colored pencil on Strathmore 100# smooth . .

I asking for critique here, particularly of the background . . how might it be handled differently . . ?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"God is dead." —Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." —God

carolkay

I think it is just beautiful work … all I can think of is .. on left side… the jump
            In value from background to dark hair .. pulls the eye there.. maybe if the value was closer .. they eye wld stay in the face..

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Carol Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
            Wassie

I like the background as is. The only critique I have is her neck. I know it’s in shadow but i think it needs some of her face color. It looks a little swollen to me. Maybe it’s the round neck of her garment that makes it look that way.

I agree with Wassie- and the sharp edge of the shirt and that black outline around the hand needs to be softened.

bethany
                moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
                website www.bethanyart.com
                My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

Olaf

Thank you, carolkay, Wassie, & bethanyt,

All very good suggestions, all very helpful, and all very much appreciated . .

Olaf

I went back in, and tried to incorporate all the suggestions received above . . any better . . ?

. . and thanks again for the help . .

Beautiful Olaf!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

jonc50

Nice fix Olaf!

Olaf

Thanks, Kay and jonc50 . . :)

Great work. Agreed on the neck drawing. It still needs some adjustments. I would darken the entire neck, in MPO. I would make the skin very smooth with no bumps.
                                As a general rule the fewer the wrinkles on a nice looking lady, the better.
                                Regarding the background, I would apply a little bit of violet to complement the skin, but barely.

Olaf

Great work. Agreed on the neck drawing. It still needs some adjustments. I would darken the entire neck, in MPO. I would make the skin very smooth with no bumps.
                                    As a general rule the fewer the wrinkles on a nice looking lady, the better.
                                    Regarding the background, I would apply a little bit of violet to complement the skin, but barely.

Thanks, Moises, I appreciate the feedback and the suggestions. I did consider using violet in the background but chickened out . . next time for sure.

I use colored pencils mostly in my drawing and am always trying to avoid the excessively smooth, photo-realism to which I think CPs have fallen victim. Below is an example from a book . . I greatly admire the guy’s style . . rules are made to be broken . . ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.