Home Forums Explore Media Digital Art Annoyed with Painter

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Finally started using it again and discovered that if you switch between brushes from different libraries, they completely reset when you switch back. That’s very bad for efficiency. I save my favourites in a palette so I can select them quickly and often go back and forth between brushes.

I found this out when trying to find a brush for painting brick like textures. In Procreate the nikko rull brush worked well but I can’t find something similar in Painter 2017 brushes. In older libraries there is a hard charcoal brush that works ok. I’m surprised it is so hard to find brushes that paint a more square shaped. The flat brushes should do that but they are rounded. There are a couple that are too square or rectangular, can’t control the brush length. Basically need a vertical line with a little texture.

Sometimes I feel like I spend more time looking for brushes than actually painting lol.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
    Every painting is a new adventure.

ptrkgmc

You mean ‘Painter’ the corel pain program? I think. Google ‘Krita’ the free paint program. I think it’s fantastic. Mac blocks this program. (monopolistic *******s) but there is a way to open it by going into ‘system prefrences’ ‘security’ and select ‘open anyway’

Yes, that Painter. And yes, there are other good programs, but I have already spent a lot on Painter, though I have held back only upgraded twice.

mkmcreations.com

b’anna

Michelle,If you’re talking 2018, I think that has been reported as a bug and maybe they will fix it with the next update. It is VERY annoying. I thought I was losing what is left of my mind!

No, staying with 2017. I guess I’ll just have to find my brushes from the one library. Just wish it had the equivalent of the nikko rull from Procreate. That brush works really well for painting bricks. It has a bit of texture and you can control the length of the stroke. One or two in Painter might be good but the basic shape is already a long rectangle. Oh well, then next time I’m painting something like that I’ll search again.

mkmcreations.com

ptrkgmc

Sketchbook pro from Autodesk rents for about $5.00 a month, if you’r really disappointed with painter. This is my favorite graphics paint program. It has hundreds of brushes, with new ones added every week. Here is a WIP I’m working on:

[ATTACH]849875[/ATTACH]

Now we need a nudity warning on this thread lol.

mkmcreations.com

ptrkgmc

Opps! But these two always hang around Zooma beach.

MaloCS

Sometimes I feel like I spend more time looking for brushes than actually painting lol.

This is why I stopped using Painter, it is simply too complicated. On the other hand, the iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Procreate are very EASY to use with almost no learning curve.

:thumbsup:

I have the pictures to prove it...

www.vincentcreative.net

Yes, I like Procreate too, but then there are times when I prefer to work on the computer. And, like I said, I spent money on Painter, so I gotta make it work for a while at least. So I guess the only solution is to stick to one brush library because I do switch back and forth between brushes, and eraser, a lot.

mkmcreations.com

yolkworm

Aaron Rutten has a video about saving brushes. Here’s a link:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5C03DhzMzE

Aaron has lots of videos on Painter, so you might consider subscribing to his YouTube channel :)

Also, Painter lets you save “brush variants,” too. Here’s video about that:
                            http://learn.corel.com/tutorials/using-brush-looks-to-save-custom-variant-settings/

No skill, no art.

Thanks, I’ll take a look at those.

mkmcreations.com

ptrkgmc

Painter is interesting, but I think Autodesk sketchbook pro is better, and much cheaper.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.