Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture WIP dilemma

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I am working on a group portrait that is practically finished. However, I have a dilemma with the background. The reference photo has the front of the house but if I copy this background it may take away the focal point of the work. The two options are not to do anything or render a blurred background. I have done a short sketch of the copy of the work and added some lines and I placed emphasis on the dark values on our right side in order to have a quasi diagonal aspect to create more punch to it. On purpose, I erased some lines of the background on the left side. I would appreciated some suggestions.
    The work was done on a 23X15, Archer paper, and using hard graphite and only HB for the very darks, in order to avoid the shine of the soft graphite.
    Thank you for watching.

Amity

That portion of the house is rather a busy one. What about leaving out the clutter and add just a suggestion of bricks or shrubbery or something like that?

Surprisingly- I like the background one. I am usually not a fan, but this gives an enclosed sense of place to the people.
        Great portraits!

bethany
        moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
        website www.bethanyart.com
        My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

kentiessen

It is your call really, but I feel the background can be helpful compositionally- the vertical and horizontals support the pyramid placements of the family and add a place/architectural context to the portrait. (I trust your perspective will be correct in the final)

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
            Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

maryinasia

beautiful…I also like the background one…gives a sense of place and home

but I also like it without the background…

I would be tempted to ask the recipient their preference

carolkay

I like background one … it has Arial
                    Perspective and doesn’t compete with the subjects

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Carol Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
                    Wassie

I like the background. It tells me where they are. Without it, I might think they are in a formal studio setting. The background does not take away from the subject matter.

Usually I would say: get rid of the background, but it works well the way you did it.:)

That portion of the house is rather a busy one. What about leaving out the clutter and add just a suggestion of bricks or shrubbery or something like that?

Thank you.

Bethany, Maryinasia, Carol, Wassie, Connie:
                        Thank you all for your input and comments.

It is your call really, but I feel the background can be helpful compositionally- the vertical and horizontals support the pyramid placements of the family and add a place/architectural context to the portrait. (I trust your perspective will be correct in the final)

Ken,
                        Surprisily enough I was telling my wife that we have two piramids in this composition: The children and the dogs, and the other one is the parents! The lines of the background will be rather thin and using only 4H graphite, but I will add more emphasis at the base of the column so the darker values will unify the dog and the girls. BTW, the perspective will be fixed. Thank you.

kevinwueste

I think I agree with Ken – but maybe slightly different view: I would included a softer-edged version of the background values to amplify the idea of light on the people.. Mostly vertical grays and dark grays.. imperfectly placed ( but to suit your composition and placement.

Kevin

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
                            Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
                            http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
                            "kevinwueste" on instagram

123harry

The background would be OK if it is faded into the background of the picture as in your mock-up. Any strong contrast in it will detract from the group. I’d be inclined to leave it without the background and I’m not usually a fan of that sort of structure which i usually think of as a cop out!
                                An alternative might be some kind of motif which is relevant to the family. A sort of updated coat of arms…..

C&C always welcome.
                                Instagram harry.hamill

Kevin, Harry:
                                Thank you for your comments. One think everybody agrees is to place some kind of background, and very subtle. I appreciated it very much.

fedetony

I like it more with the background :)

Federico Garcia
                                    My Blog
                                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.