Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Portrait of Abby WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 473 total)
  • Author
    brynmr

I decided to go with a theme in this portrait of my grand niece Abby. She loves to read and the ref pic I took of her suggested a flying carpet (dunno why it just did). The round shape is going to be a harvest moon so the time of day will be just after sunset. I did a little manipulation in photoshop of the the ref pic to show the general colors and the values. The values will be very important in this drawing. I’m working on strathmore medium 4 ply with Prismacolors. Size is about 16.5 x 24.5 in. I’m going to take my time with this one so don’t expect quick results. I’ll need your help with the color (as always). One of the things I don’t understand is how to make the colors appear as though they’re in shadow (thanks to those who have already made suggestions) I’m terrible at duplicating colors that are before me. If the world was B&W I’d have no worries. ;)

tommyhunt.com

For reason to tolerate those who refuse to play by the rules of reason is nothing else but the suicide of reason. ~ Lee Harris

brynmr

Oh yeah, I did a study of her expression from another photo. Her hair wasn’t blowing in the wind so I had to make that up. I’m pretty happy with the study. :)

tommyhunt.com

For reason to tolerate those who refuse to play by the rules of reason is nothing else but the suicide of reason. ~ Lee Harris

quickcat327

This looks interesting, although the ref. with her reading shows up quite dark here I know that this will be another great work of yours Tom. Can hardly wait to see what you do with it.

"we never truly make a mistake,we only create an opportunity to learn"...K.J.E
                There is a fine line between class and ass, its sad that so many people are too willing to show which side they are on...J.T.E, sr.

BKWYRM

So Tommy, I assume that the parts of her touching the carpet will be deeply shadowed, while the parts (like her face) that are higher up will be better illuminated. Yes? No? Love the quality of your lines!

What’s on Teddy’s fishing pole? A light?

Kathy

brynmr

So Tommy, I assume that the parts of her touching the carpet will be deeply shadowed, while the parts (like her face) that are higher up will be better illuminated. Yes? No? Love the quality of your lines!

What’s on Teddy’s fishing pole? A light?

A lantern yes. I’m thinking the whole figure will be in shadow.

tommyhunt.com

Asher

Wonderful concept, Tommy! Will watch with great interest. I agree with Kathy; your line work is so delicate and sure.

Sanford

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
                            -Seneca

Katherine T

This looks very promising – I really like the idea.

Katherine

BLOG: [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]Making a Mark[/URL]
                                SKETCHBOOK BLOG: Travels with my Sketchbook in......
                                PORTFOLIO: Pastels and Pencils[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/B]
                                lynn1

A lantern yes. I’m thinking the whole figure will be in shadow.

With the lantern placement, won’t the back/top of her head need to be lighter?

CAULFIELD

I absolutely LOVE this!! I can’t wait to see it progress!! Your study is stunning!

Nicole

brynmr

Thanks Nicole. Took me a while to understand her mouth and eyes.

Good point Lynn. I’ll do that.

Katherine, I didn’t get my “kid” ref pic but something better came of it I think. I could do “theme” portraits of kids. Nick’s brother could be done dresses as Buzz Lightyear. ;)

Sanford, my lines look awfully sketchy at first til I know where their going.

tommyhunt.com

Weezy

I’m on board for this one, Tommy. It looks intruguing as all get out. I am really wanting to observe the development on this one. Interesting beginning so far. And there areplenty of colorists here if you need help, they ‘ve come to my rescue more than once. :D

Good to see everybody posting again……ahhhh…. :D

catchlight

Tommy, you’re amazing, I think this will be incredible! I love your style and boy, I think the study is wonderful on it’s own too!

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Wen Baragrey[/B]
                                                    MY WEBSITE

beebluefern

Tommy you know I am in for this one! I love it so much and it will be just exquisite when complete. I do like the lantern being held by the bear. Stars on the carpet look great by the way! Abby is delightful! This will be such a happy piece of art! Good work my friend!

Whatever you do, Do from the heart.
                                                        Col. 3:23

Meisie

Tommy I love it already! your drawings are so beautiful.

Meisie

Charne
                                                            Website & Blog - Reflections
                                                            Prints

This is going to be great. You’ve got a really great pose there! :wave:

[FONT="Arial Black"]~Claire

www.facebook.com/clairemilliganartist
                                                          Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 473 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘Portrait of Abby WIP’ is closed to new replies.