Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil CP brand with clear pinks?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    DaneelOlivaw

Hi all, begging for help! :wave:

I’m new to CP – I’ve splurged on the FC polychromos, which suddenly had a massive price drop in Australia, online.

I’m pretty annoyed at the pinks, which are all chalky… I just wanted one really clear bright-ish, mid-value (on the greyscale, not $$$) pink. Not neon, just clear.

The other pencil brands that I have are all chalky, as well, except the Marco Raffine which have one clear pink – not artist quality or lightfast.

Does anyone know of a lightfast clear pink in any brand? At this stage I’m desperate enough to pay $12 AUD for a caran d’ache luminance pencil, and shipping, if it’ll be the right clarity, and not chalky or muddy. I don’t use it often, but in small details that make things jump off the page. I also use it for layering a little and don’t necessarily want a chalky colour in there.

I don’t really want to walk the prismacolour trail, as at the end, you find something nasty in the woodshed. (Points for all who understood that reference!) I like the way they are, but the manufacture…

I’m very far from art shops to try pencils, and currently battling pneumonia, so if I could get them online – much appreciated. North American shops are out by the way.

Thanks so much in advance if anyone can help!

Neither mistake beauty for goodness, nor courtesy for weakness.

brissie

Janis I have found pinks are a difficult one in all brands but am suprised you say the FC Polys are chaulky I use them all the time and wouldnt say that about them.
            Can you give us an idea of what sort of pink youre looking for if its a soft light value you wont find it in luminace either.
            How about posting a swatch of what youre looking for and I can see if any of my brands have anything close to it.

marksmomagain

I do not find polys chalky either, and I do use alot of the pink colors especially with springtime scenes (blossoms, etc.).

DaneelOlivaw

Thanks for the help and input both – love your work there in the banner, Brissie.

Haha, maybe I’m just too fussy… it’s like trying to find ‘that’ green, in paint. I want a mid-value, around 4,5… even 6 if that’s gonna be the choice, but 4 or 5 would be the holy grail.

They’re not super chalky, it must just be the nature of the pigment. I’ll do a swatch of the polychromos compared to the raffine colour I want a comparable one of, later today.

I think that’s the thing though – the pinks are great natural pinks. I want an unnaturally clear pink. The fuschia 123 is pretty close, but just the slightest chalkiness.

I had a set years ago with a nice clear pink – alas, the name is lost in the mists of time via a flooded garage. I’m not sure what quality they were – touted as artist’s, but we’re talking the early eighties!

I love all the other colours – finally I have a set with a proper navy blue!
                    Indanthrene blue, I love you! *happy dance*

DaneelOlivaw

Sorry the pic is sideways, and a bad picture… the cut off pencil ID is FC PC 123.

You can see how the raffine is luminous and has a bit of translucency and clarity, whilst the other two are quite dull in comparison – though not as dull as this pic makes it look.

The lack of any lightfastness info for the el cheapo raffines is what prevents me using it, except for practice. The practice sheets are popping with bits of that raffine in there. I’m tempted to imperil my immortal soul by using a blasted kid’s crayon! (Not really, but you get the idea!)

Violet Roses

The Raffine looks like it contains rhodamine dye (fluorescent pink, transparent, not lightfast). A number of the Prismacolor pinks also appear to contain rhodamine dye and are not lightfast as a result. I don’t know of any pigment that can quite match the lovely brilliance of rhodamine dye. :(

I love mixed media!

DaneelOlivaw

Ah!

Thank you, that would explain it… Oh Poopy Pants! I’ll have to devise a way to use another medium for those parts.

My friend here dropped by to check out the colours – don’t know how to break it to him – he says ‘Hi, and thank you!’, as do I.

Violet Roses

The brightest pink lightfast pencils I have are the Polychromos Fuschia 123 (cooler pink) and Polychromos Pink Carmine 127 (warmer pink). Maybe someone knows of brighter ones?

I love mixed media!

monarch

I have a Luminance pencil, Anthraquinoid Pink. I’ve tried to make a sample as close to real life as I can, at least as it appears on my monitor. IMHO, it seems a bit “flamingo” pink. They may have other pinks(?) but that is the only pencil I have from Luminance, aside from their white pencil.

C&C welcome and appreciated

DaneelOlivaw

Thanks Monarch!

Yep, it’s quite salmonish…’Pretty Flamingo’… thanks so much – saves me chasing the impossible dream, so kind of you to swatch it.

I think I’m reaching for the stars, here… I’ll have to mix my media to get the result. Dang those fleeting pinks! I pulled the two ‘one star’ pencils from the polychromos set, of course one is a pink and the other is violet. (Forget World Peace, someone work on a clear, lightfast pink for Pete’s sake!)

brissie

Danee its the problem we all have not just with pinks but pale/light blues too there isnt a very good range and sometimes white helps other times its a disaster. Even mixing and getting good leaf greens of different types is a challenge. I find the thing to keep in mind is the values of what Im doing is what makes the piece not whether the colour is spot on.
                                                I have looked at my full set of Luminance and the light colours are either more lavender pink or peachy pink nothing like what youve posted and the Derwent Procolours pinks aren’t like it either plus most of the colours are very low on the light fast scale. Theyre a great disappointment in that department.I would say only about a third of the colours are good lightfast rates!

latedrawer

Have you looked at Caran d’Ache Pablo CD270 raspberry red or CD091 light purple? Both have a lightfast rating of 2 stars (out of 3 stars). They are available individually online from DickBlick.com. The colors shown the website don’t match what I get on drawing paper and are closer to what you seem to be looking for. I have Polychromos FC123. When I compare a heavy application of it to the both the Pablos, it seems to be cooler and darker than similar patches of both of the CD270 and CD091. So I perceive them as more pinkish and “brighter” than the FC123 Fuchsia.

You didn’t say what paper you are using. I was curious, so I tried the FC123 on Fabriano Artistico 140 hot press watercolor paper, which is fairly white. On it, the Fuchsia appears much less muted than your patch.

I also tried a mix of FC119 light magenta, FC125 middle purple pink, with Luminance 350 purplish red on top. Thus, the most lightfast layer was on the top. This mix on the bright white paper seemed very close to the color you’re looking for.

I don’t know if you tried for mixes of the pencils you have, but you might experiment and also try different types of paper.

The dickblick.com (Blick art materials) has a good selection of colored pencils available individually, although the colors might not be exact matches of what you’ll get, especially when you use different types of papers.

Anyway, good luck, happy drawing and I hope you feel better soon:)

Carole
                                                    Comments and critiques are welcomed.
                                                    DaneelOlivaw

Thanks so much, everyone!

The polychromos look so dull because it’s a crappy i-phone pic in bad lighting – believe it or not, that paper is bright white. I was swatching, and so don’t even know what paper it was, just a scrap. Not printer paper though!

But you can still see the difference in the swatch of the cheapo pencil.

I agree, that the values are what’s important, but I find that that particular clear pink is sooo useful in what I like to do with CP – which is usually something surreal.

Between that clear bright pink and another the same value, the only difference in the same subject is that the one with the clear pink is screaming ‘look at me!’, and the other one is nice, but humdrum.

I only use such tiny bits of it, but it tends to ‘throw’ all the other colours into a vibrancy that’s missing when you use the others.

Not that important, but I’m just not satisfied with the FCPC pinks.

Thanks latedrawer, I’ll put those pencils on the list to try when I get to the supplies shop in a few months. Unfortunately, North American shops are impossible for me, so Dick Blick et al, are out.

Seems that pinks are troublesome – I’m quite happy with the blues in this 120 set – I can layer and get pretty much any blue shade that I like.

Cheers,
                                                        Janis :thumbsup:

Hi all, begging for help! :wave:

Does anyone know of a lightfast clear pink in any brand? At this stage I’m desperate enough to pay $12 AUD for a caran d’ache luminance pencil, and shipping, if it’ll be the right clarity, and not chalky or muddy. I don’t use it often, but in small details that make things jump off the page. I also use it for layering a little and don’t necessarily want a chalky colour in there.

Thanks so much in advance if anyone can help!

Pink is a color very hard to make light fast and not super saturated powerful pink. It might not be easy to find what you want depending of clear you want that pink,

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

DaneelOlivaw

Thanks Tiago,

I’m learning fast about pencils and their limits, thanks to all the great people on here – I’m dabbling at the moment, coming from acrylic paint.

I somehow got bitten by the pencil bug, and haven’t been able to leave it alone for months. And now graduated to good pencils.

I think I’ll just have to mix my media to be happy… I’ve been using OMS to get blended backgrounds. You can take the pencil girl out of the painter, but you can’t take the painter out of the pencil girl? (Vision of pencil in a little black dress, with a spiritous drably smocked painter reaching out ghostly claws… brush handle sharpened to a deadly point – about to knock off the pencil’s nicely sharpened tip!)

I keep looking at the pinks and been thinking of ink as a base to get what I want. A thinned alcohol ink? I had some suggestions on another thread.

I can’t believe how kind you all are, so helpful! Thank you all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.