WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Best leak proof palette cups with lids?

For those of you who have lucked into finding a brand of clip on metal palette cups with screw on lids that don't leak, please share your source. I would like to find something about the diameter of an old style silver dollar that has a spring clip on the bottom and an air tight seal that doesn't break down with exposure to OMS and Oil of Spike.

Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 09:03 PM

Re: Best leak proof palette cups with lids?

I have not seen anything 100 percent leak proof. There are metal cups with lid, but they contain a plastic piece that is easily damaged by turpentine.

https://www.amazon.com/Darice-Stainl...+cups+with+lid

https://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Pai...SR7BW928RTWE6X
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:28 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

None of the medium dippers I’ve had stand up to terpentine though all of them stand up to Liquin.
Just take out the rubber seal before putting into service and replace it with cardboard which if cut accurately does not leak. I never use OMS or White Spirits in my mediums.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

That was what I had found with a web search - none of them are leak proof if you have solvents in the mix. I was hoping that there was one I had missed that was well made. It appears that they need to use solvent proof gasket seals rather than the cheap rubber ones that comes with them.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 03:34 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

I tried a bunch and gave up on them and just use an open cup, then pour it back into a medium bottle after using it.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2017, 01:53 AM
the American West

Hails from United States

I bought these metal screw containers online .. put turps in one of them for my cigar box plein air setup .. does not leak at all. They come in different sizes if you need a bigger one. However .. they do not have a clip.. I used velcro tabs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Blog 'Painting Space'
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

The best and cheapest I've found were at Michaels (if you live int he US). They're the size you're looking for. All metal (with one round plastic piece in the lid). They screw on tightly, although I've not tested leakage by holding them upside down.

Look for the half-off coupon online.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for your comments and tips!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2017, 11:01 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

If you can't find what you're looking for, an alternative route would be a tiny glass jar, such as used for baby food or prepared horseradish. If it's for a plein aire outing, and you drop it, it's likely to fall on something relatively soft and so not break. I have found them to offer a good seal, at least with OMS or spike - I don't use turps. And I've dropped them once or twice on my hardwood floor without breaking them. But of course, there's no clip on the bottom.

Somewhere within all of us there is a wordless center, a part of us...that has remained unchanged since we were children. It is the source of our strength and compassion. That faint confluence of the tangible and the spiritual is where Art comes from.
~Richard Schmid

Last edited by AnnieA : 06-22-2017 at 11:23 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Another good tip AnnieA. Thanks! I remember some small glass jelly jars that came with cheese samplers at Christmas. They were quite thick and about the right size for what I want. It looks like you can buy them empty, but it would be more fun to eat the jelly first!

2 oz empty jars on Amazon
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 AM

1) The little plastic cups+lids (etc.) at Hobby Lobby
2) Little glass and/or plastic jars with screw on lids (metal or plastic)

I'd suppose you could band, velcro, or duck-tape these until the turps/OMS rots at them.

Utmost blessings!
Philip
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 04:25 PM
western New York

Hails from United States

I use the small baby food jars outside painting all the time, and have since I've been painting. I run duct tape around them, and in the past, Ive also run thin foam sheets around them under the tape. Gives a great cushion and I suppose if one were to break, it would be fairly well contained as far as glass shards go. Not as pretty as the metal cups are (I do use those, also), but it works better as far as sealing the solvents.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 08:25 PM
Bay Area

Hails from Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon
The best and cheapest I've found were at Michaels (if you live int he US). They're the size you're looking for. All metal (with one round plastic piece in the lid). They screw on tightly, although I've not tested leakage by holding them upside down.

Look for the half-off coupon online.

I'll second this. Mine are holding out pretty well and the rubber seals seem decent. I haven't used a lot of solvent in them though.

Never buy anything from Michaels without the 50% coupon, even with the coupon it's still over priced, it's extortionate, I felt robbed every time I've had to shop there.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 PM
Virginia

Hails from United States

I bought the metal cups at Michaels with the coupon for $3.49. Not so bad. I used them today and they did not leak on the way to the site or the trip back. One with rectified turpentine and one with pale drying oil. I think I might empty out the turps one between plein air sessions, because I feel pretty confident that the turps will eventually eat up the plastic. Thanks Jcannon and harrj for the tip on these.

Laura