WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2017, 08:34 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States
What fun!!!

I'm having SO MUCH FUN teaching my first week-long sculpture workshop! It's in my own studio at home, and it's so convenient and comfortable!! If I want to show them something, I can grab one of my bronzes to illustrate a point. We've been to our daughter's farm to see and run our hands over horses. We're going again tomorrow to watch Jen ride one of her horses so we can study muscles in movement, and to run our hands over my old QH Jack, who has modeled for me for many years and is used to me running my hands over him. He also went Grand Champion at halter when he was young, so despite being 26 and having a dropped back, he's still a well-built horse worth studying.

I am truly amazed at the progress these ladies have made in just two days! Not only are they loads of fun and a friendly group, but they are hard-working, eager to learn and talented! Check these out, taken after a day and a half of work (we spent part of yesterday seeing horses):

I can really see progress in what they're doing. My first day pics didn't turn out for some reason. I think my phone's camera has the hiccups or something.

Anyway - What fun!!! I'm not quite half-way through the workshop and I want to do it again!!!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2017, 12:12 PM

Re: What fun!!!

What pure joy and fun! I am so happy for you and the girls (no guys, right?) that you are teaching. To get to go on an excursion to your daughter's farm and see all the award winning horses and then learn from your old Jack, that is wonderful!

They are doing a great job on their horse sculptures. I especially like the horse in the bottom photo. It seems to have a lot of the muscles developed well.

Enjoy your workshop and maybe take a video for us!

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2017, 07:50 PM
Alberta

Hails from Canada

Lucky, I'd love to do something like that some day. Take a seminar like that, I mean, not teach it
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2017, 10:42 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc93
Lucky, I'd love to do something like that some day. Take a seminar like that, I mean, not teach it

I'll be teaching workshops again in the future! Do you think you'd be willing to travel to Ohio? I could add you to my email list of folks who are interested, if you want.

Tamara, I never had time to do a video, but my students took some videos of me doing demos on various things, like making manes and tails, eyes and nostrils. I haven't decided if I want to put them online yet or not, but it's interesting to see them from that perspective.

We had a BLAST! They all did amazingly well. I'll post a pic of their finished pieces tomorrow - the Internet is exceedingly S-L-O-W tonight!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Here's my class with their finished pieces.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 11:23 AM

They all did fantastic! Did you find yourself putting your hands on the work and helping out a bit? When teaching children, I sometimes do little adjustments but with adults just demonstrate on another piece and have them copy what I'm doing.

Are they all hooked on sculpture now? What are they going to do with their sculptures now? Bronze?

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2017, 02:54 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

In the workshops I've taken, figurative instructors don't touch your work much - maybe because we supposedly know what a body looks like. In equine art workshops I've attended, the instructor always sits with each student, pointing things out and re-sculpting troublesome places, but only on one side, so they can copy it on the other side. I tried pointing things out and they just did not get it. In a 5 day workshop, there's a pressure of time, too, so you want to help them get as much done as possible before they leave. I gave each of them one good eye, one good nostril and one good lower leg both front and back before they left. I helped all of them with their horse's ears, too. I could just point things out on the body for the most part, but those pesky details . . . . It's hard to sculpt an eye that can see 320 degrees around, so it's on the side and also faces front and sees to the back as well, and have it look natural, with a bump in the eyelid showing where he's looking.

Two of them were professional painters before they came. They are definitely hooked on sculpture. I told them not to go to bronze with these pieces or they'll be sorry. All the errors will show up in the bronze and be there forever. I told them if they wanted to cast them, to cast them in resin, and gave them contact info for my resin caster (it's in my book).

One of them has ALREADY gotten a life-size commission (!!!) and her sculpture just isn't that good yet! And it has to be done in a year! She can't see the errors in her work yet and probably won't be able to for a while yet. I told her she is not ready to do a life-size bronze. She said she'll take on a partner - me! When I found out the budget, I told her that wasn't enough to cover the costs, much less pay her anything (or me!) She said it's a much smaller piece than my life-size. I told her to call 3 foundries (including mine and one that's local to her) and get prices on the mold and casting, and also contact digital enlargement places (she doesn't want to try sculpting it life-size in clay yet). I'll be surprised if she makes any money at all on it at the price she told me they offered. I don't want her to have a disaster on her CV, so if she can at least pay my expenses for touching up her work, I may partner with her. And I thought *I* was ambitious, offering my very first dragon sculptures to the Danbury Mint! (And they wanted to cast them!!) Yikes!

One of my friends has asked about me teaching her to do jewelry and reliefs and make the molds for them. I told her I could do that, and she said I should open it up to others, because that would be more fun. When I mentioned it to the lady who has the life-size commission, she really wants to come, but she wants to learn how to pour the metal and all that. I don't have that kind of equipment! I was going to do resin models that could be sent to a foundry, hopefully with flat backs so they only require an open-face mold. ACK! I have to get busy and make some jewelry to refresh my skills!!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2017, 05:19 PM

Sounds like you did a good job teaching them and helped them have something they could be proud of when they got home to show their friends and family. It's usually a challenge for me to hold back and not touch their piece and just let it look not right. If I'm doing good and being patient, then I grab a piece of clay and demonstrate rather than touch their work.

Sculpting eyes on humans is very complex and horses eyes sound even more so with the wider viewing range. I don't understand the horses eyes and how they focus so I wouldn't know how to sculpt them except to just copy the horses eyes if I had a photo or was doing live horse sculpting. Glad you gave them one good eye, nostril and lower leg front and back. Some people would rather it just be all their own work but others would want the help.

Good advice about not going into bronze. I love my first ceramic pieces (to see how far I've came and just for memories) but they didn't cost me thousands of dollars to make.

Sounds like someone was glad to snap up a new sculptor and get a deal on a lifesize bronze. But they may regret it if the end result is a lifesize with errors that other horse people see and know. I sure hope that the commission can wait a while until the new sculptor has learned some more about horses and sculpting. Or if you can get paid enough, you can do some of the final adjustments. You are being generous to help her!!

The fun continues with doing some jewelry making once again. Glad you are back to sculpting and hope that you are riding your old horse, Jack, once again. We are having record temperatures over here in CA, a heat wave. I'm working in the garage with an AC but with a cleaned out garage so that is good.

Thanks for sharing about your very successful workshop!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

It's a challenge for me to hold back too, but when I saw them struggling with something, I showed them on one of the three "in progress" pieces I had (one I started in class, one I started at Equine Affaire of Jen's horse Dream, and the one of Taffy that's getting close to having the rider added) and if that didn't do it, I asked if I could work on their clay. They were eager for me to work on their pieces. Having good parts to study will help them work on their pieces at home. And as always, I told them to call or e me any time they need help. (I have that in my book too.)

I suspect this artist went after the commission rather than them snapping up a new sculptor. She's a good painter, so she should be a good sculptor too, right??? She will be at some point, but she's not there yet. I'm happy to help her. She's a promising sculptor and I sure wouldn't want one of my students to have an ugly or incorrect bronze horse out there in public! "Who trained you?" "Lynda Sappington." "Oh, okay" and then they know to stay away from me as a teacher! LOL

I'm actually riding my younger old horse, Ricos. I'll get on Jack every so often for a bareback ride, but every time I dismount, I land on my bum since he's so tall and there's no saddle to hold on to to slow my fall. My sense of balance (on my own two feet) isn't what it was. I'm fine on a horse, though.

Speaking of the jewelry workshop: John and I just got on Amazon Prime and we were discussing all the things you can get on Amazon and wondering what you COULDN'T get there! LOL I said, "Classic Clay" (the brand I use), and sure enough, they have it! Then I started looking at jewelry-making tools and found a dentist's wax tool for $50 that's like my jewelry wax pen (that cost over $100 18 or so years ago) but has tighter temperature control and SIX pen tips including the SPOON shapes I LOVE for sculpting!! I just may need to get that to play in wax (and make jewelry)! Those things are available on Amazon, not just Prime. Prime just gets you free shipping, but it doesn't apply to clay. I'm gonna have fun browsing Amazon for more tools! They do say who their suppliers are, so I can go to the original site, compare prices and shipping, etc.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2017, 11:09 AM

Got your point about why you have more motivation, other than just being so helpful all the time, to touch up the lifesize bronze of your student. You sure wouldn't want to carry some of the blame for it not looking so good, lol.

Great that you found a wax pen tool that you really like. I have that dual temp wax pen with lots of tips that I use once in a while. Didn't realize that I could make jewelry with it. What metal do you cast in and who cast it for you? Have you considered adding precious stones in the design? What fun to cast your own jewelry!

Ricos is the main horse you like to ride, I remember that and Jack is your good old boy for a once in a while ride. How wonderful that you have your horses!! That is a life that I would love to have, and one day, I want to enjoy all the animals of the earth!

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2017, 02:02 AM
Alberta

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyLynda
I'll be teaching workshops again in the future! Do you think you'd be willing to travel to Ohio? I could add you to my email list of folks who are interested, if you want.

It would be a bit of a trip but who knows? Maybe I would like to treat myself to a sculpting vacation sometime. You can add me to your list if you want, then I can just keep my eye on what is coming up. Should I e-mail or pm my e-mail address, or how is best to do that?

I think I could spend a month just working on legs. Legs are hard.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 09:08 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Tamara - I had a wonderful gold caster and a really good silver caster years ago. The gold caster died (he was an individual jeweler who lived about 40 miles from me), but I did get my molds back. The silver caster was a big company that cast jewelry for lots of artists as well as Nieman-Marcus and Nordstrom's. I had ordered enough silver jewelry to do me a while, so I wasn't in touch with them for some time. When I contacted them again, they were in the process of cleaning out their building and THROWING AWAY EVERYONE'S MOLDS!!!!!!! They'd been bought by a company in Iowa. (They were in Albuquerque.) I contacted my artist friends who I knew cast there, and all of us called both the original company and the new one, but all of us lost all our molds. That and the fact that jewelers at Equine Affaire were being robbed at gunpoint sometimes made me stop carrying jewelry there. I only had a few silver and gold pieces left, so I put them away while I continued to show my bronze at Equine Affaire and elsewhere.

During my sculpture workshop, I asked what else they'd like to learn and we discussed things, and I told them I could teach them simple jewelry and relief sculpting and casting (in resin). They wanted to see some of my jewelry, and in digging through my stuff, I found my gold and sterling pieces (the "good stuff") that were left. I need to advertise and sell those - I'll be putting them on my website soon, once I figure out what I should charge for them with the current cost of sterling and gold.

I've just started advertising the jewelry/relief/resin casting workshop which will be in October here in my studio. I'm in the process of trying to find new silver and gold casters, but I still have a good pewter caster in NM and a metal plating company in Kansas. So I figure I can have pieces cast in pewter and have them plated in silver or gold. I was having sterling silver cast in NM and sending them to the plater to gold-plate the manes on the horses - 100 microns of gold plating over sterling = vermeil. Those things sold like hotcakes. I think doing them in pewter and having them plated SHOULD cost a lot less than doing sterling and 14K gold jewelry these days, and will result in affordable pieces. I still have some research to do.

I have produced jewelry with diamond eyes in the horses' heads and one piece with a curl of mane at the bottom had a basket added in the curl and a diamond set there. Those were 14K gold pieces. The one where I used diamonds as eyes is a big piece (I like big jewelry) and that much gold is HEAVY! I can't wear it an entire day anymore, it's that heavy, but it was my first jewelry design and sold very well for me, so I didn't realize it would be so heavy in gold. A lady I knew ordered it in gold with diamond eyes, and I wasn't about to let her have the only one, so I had one cast for myself, LOL!

This was my first jewelry design. This one is sterling with vermeil manes. This is also the design I produced in gold with diamond eyes that's so heavy to wear for very long.

This is the one where I had the basket added to the curl in the mane and a diamond mounted there. Sorry the pic is so small. It's the only one I have and the piece sold out.

This is my business logo in 14K gold. The caster had to make 30 sprues on the original to make it cast. I sculpted this one (VERY VERY PATIENTLY!!!) in plastilene. I did the others in wax.

TC93, please send me your email address, full name, address and phone number (so I have all your contact info) at [email protected] to be added to my list. I expect to do another AAEA sculpting workshop probably next May, and I can do these relief/jewelry/resin casting workshops whenever I feel like it (they aren't through the Academy since jewelry is considered craft, not fine art). I agree, legs are hard!! I have a pretty good method of doing them (it works for me!) that I'll be happy to teach you.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 11:55 AM

You really have made some beautiful jewelry. How big is the two horses pendant? For it to be so heavy, it must be a good size. It sure is beautiful. Having it be more affordable cast in pewter with a gold plated mane will be good.

The other one you did looks like it could be made with jewelry wire and tacking with a weld? But then each one would have to be designed and carefully made. With a mold, you are sure the design will be the same. That's a lot of sprues for that mold! Definitely needed to make sure the wax flows throughout the intricate piece.

Throwing away all the molds! How did they think they could do that? Seems like a violation of your agreement with them for sure! Jewelry business can be tough sometimes!

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 04:51 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

The two horses in the pendant are a mare and her foal. It's called "Mother Love 1" All the mare and foal pieces are part of the Mother Love series. That piece is 2 1/4" high x 2 1/8 wide.

Yeah, I don't believe in wasting effort - it's easier to reproduce things with a mold rather than making each one by hand. I've had other jewelers say they could cast it with a lot fewer sprues, but I haven't had anyone cast it except for the one jeweler who died.

Throwing away the molds!!!! There were a lot of VERY ANGRY ARTISTS when word of that travesty went around!!!