WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > NEW! Welcome Forum - New Users
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 05:25 AM

New to the forum, new to art

Hi, I just recently decided I need to be more creative again, and after visiting some local art galleries and meeting some of the artists in their studios, I want to try and explore that area for myself more. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out how to get started... especially considering due to my job and personal circumstances I move and travel a lot, and I try to keep my possessions to a minimum. Any pointers on how/with what to get started on that situation? I'm looking forward to lots of learning.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States
Re: New to the forum, new to art

Hello amulam - welcome.

I would suggest starting out by learning to draw or improving your present skills at that. It is at the heart of nearly all art so any skills you build will translate easily to any other media. And there isn't a great deal you need to take with you when traveling. There is a link to the Drawing and Sketching forum in my signature ... in addition we have a drawing classroom where all the classes are free. For the most part it is a private session with an experienced artist. Pick a class, read the initial postings to learn how to do things and what the instructor is wanting you to do. Then, when you are done or have started, post your progress and that instructor will come along and take a look ... and make suggestions as necessary. When you are done with that class, pick another and have a go. If you opt to give this a try, don't dismiss the real basic classes too quickly. The geometric shapes, for instance, will teach you how to work with light and shadow which is critical in all media. The thing with graphite/charcoal is that you concentrate on values without the added complication of color. I started drawing a few years ago and just continued.

Enjoy the journey!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 07:34 AM

Wow, it sounds like you have some amazing resources here. I will look into it for sure. Yes, I was thinking basic drawing skills will be the way to start. Currently, I'm preparing to spend all of July abroad, so I was thinking I can just start by taking a small sketchbook with me and go from there. Thank you for the welcome and for the hints!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

Welcome to WC!

Lots of fine folks here, you will meet many of them as you browse about. Sharing, learning and teaching others is the best way to fan the creative flames.

We are always glad to see new members, hope you have time to explore all the different Forums. There are all levels of artists here, working in virtually all mediums. It's worth exploring the full list of the forums. Read the posting rules at the top of the forums as there may be restricted posting.

There are many free tutorials available, and the friendly folks here will try to help you with any questions.

Be sure to review the guidelines for commercial uses, and for the use of images in the Reference Library..

Check out the Photography Forums, too. No camera is required! Many of us just like to look at and discuss phots. There are some very talented folks there. The Abstract & Contemporary Forum is where I am usually found the rest of the time, we are a fun and supportive groups there.

Looking forward to seeing your art.
Looking forward getting to know you!

Links to additional information contained in my signature line below.

Life is good!
Very good indeed.

Greggo
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Hello and Welcome to Wet Canvas!
Enjoy exploring the many diverse Forums.
You will discover WC is a fantastic resource for artists and art lovers.
If you need any help navigating the site, just ask.
* You can access any Forum by using the “Forum Jump” located at the bottom right of the screen OR the Channels drop down menu at the upper left.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 10:37 AM

Thank you very much, birdhs and Jon!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 05:21 PM
WC! Guide
Illinois

Hails from United States

Hello! Welcome to WetCanvas!

WetCanvas is a great place to find help and camaraderie with other artists of all skill levels. Find some interesting conversations in the forums and join in!

Note that many of the WetCanvas forums are arranged by medium (watercolors, oils, etc.) or subject (miniatures, landscapes, etc.). Happy exploring in all them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amulam
Right now, I'm just trying to figure out how to get started... especially considering due to my job and personal circumstances I move and travel a lot, and I try to keep my possessions to a minimum. Any pointers on how/with what to get started on that situation? I'm looking forward to lots of learning.

* The best advice I have (apart from "Have fun"!): Be gentle on yourself, but continually strive to improve!

* Whether you paint outside or inside, if you want to keep things compact, I suggest you visit the Plein Air forum for the ideas you may find there.

* As long as you can blend your colors, and you can learn how to do this in these forums, you don't need a lot of colors. For paints, six or eight colors (including white) is all you need. Get ideas on the specific colors from Color Theory and Mixing forum (a link is in my signature line); if you don't find the answer after looking around for ten or fifteen minutes, just ask about it, there are people there who will be interested in answering (if not endlessly debating ) you question! (I've been known to hang out there in the past.)

Be sure to familiarize yourself with and follow the User Agreement and rules for commercial use and use of images in the Reference Image Library.

Please let us know if we can be of further help.

Thanks for joining!
See you in the forums!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opainter
Hello! Welcome to WetCanvas!

WetCanvas is a great place to find help and camaraderie with other artists of all skill levels. Find some interesting conversations in the forums and join in!

Note that many of the WetCanvas forums are arranged by medium (watercolors, oils, etc.) or subject (miniatures, landscapes, etc.). Happy exploring in all them!

* The best advice I have (apart from "Have fun"!): Be gentle on yourself, but continually strive to improve!

* Whether you paint outside or inside, if you want to keep things compact, I suggest you visit the Plein Air forum for the ideas you may find there.

* As long as you can blend your colors, and you can learn how to do this in these forums, you don't need a lot of colors. For paints, six or eight colors (including white) is all you need. Get ideas on the specific colors from Color Theory and Mixing forum (a link is in my signature line); if you don't find the answer after looking around for ten or fifteen minutes, just ask about it, there are people there who will be interested in answering (if not endlessly debating ) you question! (I've been known to hang out there in the past.)

Be sure to familiarize yourself with and follow the User Agreement and rules for commercial use and use of images in the Reference Image Library.

Please let us know if we can be of further help.

Thanks for joining!
See you in the forums!

Thanks, more great advice! I'm beginning to see that there is a whole world here waiting for me to be explored
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Hi, nice to meet you.

I paint mostly miniatures so I tend to go small. You can get very light travel kits for almost any medium but I think for traveling far distances, watercolor or pencils/pens are the easiest.

Welcome to the forums!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmrs
Hi, nice to meet you.

I paint mostly miniatures so I tend to go small. You can get very light travel kits for almost any medium but I think for traveling far distances, watercolor or pencils/pens are the easiest.

Welcome to the forums!

Thank you, nice to meet you, too! I appreciate any tips and hints. I'm thinking I'll be off to a slow start, since I'm preparing for an extended vacation abroad and a move across the country. I plan on starting the drawing lessons here, and for now probably just take a sketchbook and pencil on my vacation and start with some basics from there.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2017, 05:25 PM

Welcome, I new myself.

How exciting, you are going abroad and want to do art! Take lots of pictures. I do most of my art from pictures in magazines, Pinterest or anywhere I can get them. But being able to take your own is amazing. Good luck in your new adventure.

LadyChapel
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyChapel
Welcome, I new myself.

How exciting, you are going abroad and want to do art! Take lots of pictures. I do most of my art from pictures in magazines, Pinterest or anywhere I can get them. But being able to take your own is amazing. Good luck in your new adventure.

LadyChapel

Thank you, LadyChapel, Nice to meet you! Yes, I love to take nature and landscape pictures, so maybe that's where I might start with my drawing practice. I'm excited