WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2017, 09:33 PM

Paint consistency tips for someone coming from WC

Trying to switch into gouache mode but struggling to get the paint consistency right.

I have the habit of spreading out my mixes in the mixing area and they're literally drying out between brush strokes in some cases, making consistent application a challenge.

Should I be confining the mixes to small concentrated areas to avoid increase surface area so they're not constantly drying out? Or are people adding gum arabic to avoid this?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2017, 03:11 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Paint consistency tips for someone coming from WC

Gouache is easily reactivated on the palette, consistency of mixes is the main problem I get with gouache.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2017, 02:08 PM

What kind of goauche is giving you that trouble? Very cheap brands/lines get streaky easily. Getting even coverage with more expensive brands is easier.

Experiment by varying the amount of water you use the paints with. It is something that you will figure out with more experience. When I first started with gouache, I used it too thickly while hubby watered them down so much as if he tried to make transparent watercolours out of them.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 01:04 AM
Remote - South Australia

Hails from Australia

Gouache is endless, at times I mix my water colours into it, you can thin it to be almost as thin as watercolour however it won't be as smooth it may have some grain left in it. I have only found cheap student grade Gouache leaving streaks when dry.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxicus
Trying to switch into gouache mode but struggling to get the paint consistency right.

I have the habit of spreading out my mixes in the mixing area and they're literally drying out between brush strokes in some cases, making consistent application a challenge.

Should I be confining the mixes to small concentrated areas to avoid increase surface area so they're not constantly drying out? Or are people adding gum arabic to avoid this?

Hi roxicus, with gouache, I find when you are mixing colours, keep your colour mixes in a gloop rather than spreading them out. They will dry out far quicker if spread thinly. Use a palette knife for large mixtures, which when you do, is fine to have it spread out to get a good mix going but once you attain your colour, scoop it up in one go and lay it out. You do this by turning the knife upside down and laying it on one edge, and proceed to flatten the knife to the other edge, this squeezes the paint out into a gloop.

One more tip, wet a kitchen towel, squeeze it until it doesn't drip water(have it damp) and place your finished mixtures on this.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
Gouache is easily reactivated on the palette, consistency of mixes is the main problem I get with gouache.

Doug

Hello Doug. Forgive this comment, Sounds silly but have you studied colour theory? Read James gurneys book colour and light? or Albert munsell colour system?
Consistency of colour mixes sounds like a problem of not knowing your colours in a systematic way or Albert munsell's 3D space.

Have you worked with a limited palette of just warm and cool primaries?
It's hard going but studies should rectify this. All the best.