Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time February 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Lena

Welcome to the frozen February!

We have both a snowfall warning and a Extreme Cold warning.

I am snuggled down with my knitting. The car is plugged in, we are expecting a wind chill of -40c tonight, it is currently a windchill of -31c and it was the fastest dog walk this morning so far. We jogged around the block alternately on 3 legs.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, thanks for starting the Stitch. I spaced that it was the first yesterday. Stay inside and warm. That’s a lot of cold.

Don’t know why, but we are having an extremely mild winter. Yes it’s cold, but not freezing cold. We’ve mostly had rain, not snow. I just hope the snow at the higher elevations will keep the forests moist enough this coming summer and we won’t have a huge fire season.

Went out and got new tires on the truck yesterday. $$$ DH wasn’t happy about the expense. But, I told him we could afford it and it made the truck safer to drive.

The mug caddy is done. Not happy with it and have picked out a light weight denim and cotton fabric to try again. Should be able to sew this one on the machine.

Debby
            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Ruth has picked up her mother’s unfinished linen tablecloth again which she found in her belongings when she died. It is cutwork embroidery in a single colour thread which she had some difficulty matching. It was half done having been started over 70 years ago before Ruth was born.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Debby

Doug, what an intriguing project Ruth is taking on. Wishing her the best and looking forward to seeing what she does with it.

I got an e-mail from the woman teaching the doll making workshop I’ll be attending later this week. She suggested bringing doll clothes to fit the doll we’ll be making. :eek: I came up with an elastic waist gathered skirt and halter top with ties since I don’t have any dimension except height and waist size. Hopefully, it’ll fit the doll. If not, the doll will have to remain in the buff until I can measure and make some clothes that fit. :lol:

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Debbie – many dolls are very happy with sarongs and togas made from handkerchiefs or scraps.

I am knitting on a shawl. I am not happy with the colour changes but I will finish it before I decide to rip it all out or not.

We have an extreme cold warning. It is -31c with a wind chill of -40c. I am getting cabin fever just thinking about it. There is a good chance my class tomorrow will be cancelled.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, hadn’t thought about a handkerchief garment. Stay warm in that extreme cold.

I managed to make mug caddy version 2. It works a lot better. Need to grab a picture for you folks. Other than that, I’m gearing up to go to the doll workshop and convention. Of course now that I’m planning on going somewhere, it snows with winter storm warnings. It’s hardly snowed all winter until now. :lol: Figures.

Debby
                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Ruth has picked up her mother’s unfinished linen tablecloth again which she found in her belongings when she died. It is cutwork embroidery in a single colour thread which she had some difficulty matching. It was half done having been started over 70 years ago before Ruth was born.

Doug

I would love to see that!

Lena, we just came out of that extreme cold here. We blamed it all on Alberta. My sister lives in Edmonton, teaches medicine and works at the hospital. Be sure to take care!

Have fun with your dolls, Debbie. :)

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                        Find me on Instagram
                        Find me on Facebook

Lena

Well my class was cancelled. It was -33c in the morning – without the windchill! And the same yesterday morning. This morning it was only -27c…..

I had made a shawl and I ripped it out. it was 3 colours a soft red, a pink and a pale blue. In the ball they looked nice together and I knitted it up in bands. Somehow when knitted up the red turned fire engine red and made the pink look washed out of dingy. I kept knitting, hoping that the blue and maybe some cream would make it magically pull together. Nope, no way. So I frogged the whole thing. That wasn’t easy either, angora loves to bond. And there were beads ….. hundreds of beads that leapt in all directions if I zoned out. There are now tiny pink beads all over my bedroom’s nooks and crannies.:eek: :eek: :eek:

I have started the shawl again with the pink. No beads this time.

Doll Art by Lena

Oh no, at least you had the patience to start again!

I bought a bunch of stuff to tidy up my embroidery thread, that should keep me busy for a bit.

We have ice on top of ice. The sun came out today and it’s so lovely! Be careful in that cold!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                            Find me on Instagram
                            Find me on Facebook

Debby

Lena, sorry about your shawl. Hope version 2 is to your liking. And stay warm! No turning into an ice-Lena.

Virginia, have fun organizing your embroidery thread. You stay warm too. Careful with the ice. Don’t want to slip and hurt yourself.

I’m back from my doll adventure. The 2 day workshop was lovely. I managed to finish the doll. Even so, it felt a bit rushed to get it done in the time we were given. The woman sitting next to me was unable to finish her doll. I felt badly for her. But, this was advertised as an advanced class. She didn’t have the skill set and needed more help and a lot more time.

Anyway, I learned a lot. Both things I can bring to my own doll making and things I am going to do differently. Of course I can’t use the pattern, but I can use the technical information. I actually got a decent set of embroidered eyes. I tried making a mohair wig for the first time. And I used a wool rolling technique to stuff the legs which could turn out to be helpful. It was great talking with other makers. Tho’ there was only a couple of us designing our own dolls. Most of the ladies there use other’s patterns to make their dolls. I did take a few pictures.

As promised here’s the mug caddy version 2 that I took with me.

The doll head after needle felting and skinning it.

And the finished doll. I’m ok with her, but feel she could be so much better if I could have taken more time and gotten a decent wig cap. The one I was given to work with was too small for the head in my opinion.

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Congratulations on having a great class.
                                    Anything you make in class is kind of like a sampler. It is the same in my water colour class. We do a messed up version in class then, for home work we try to do a better version, using the class project as a help.

I actually made a water colour on my own this week because the class was cancelled. I will make a photo of it. My teacher liked it.

It is still cold and miserable. It got up to -17c the other day and it felt so balmy!

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, sorry it’s still so cold where you are. We had some cold and a dump of snow. However, today we’re seeing some melting as it’s 2C outside. Awesome you are doing the watercolor painting in spite of cancelled classes.

Still kind of tired from the trip. Got things unpacked and laundry done. Today need to re-fill the food supplies. We had leftovers in the freezer to use for yesterday knowing we’d be tired from the trip.

Today I need to mail off a couple more critters that were purchased while I was away for the weekend. Then I really need to get to sewing critters. I had let it go to do some other sewing for myself and rest my wrist before the doll workshop. (It paid off, my wrist is doing really well right now.) However, I need to sew up over a dozen of the critters at this point. Gotta get busy.

Debby
                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Here it is the sides were a bit cut off by the scanner. This is me and my daughter, a year ago on the beach. I messed up the surf a bit because I was impatient. But the wet sand worked out ok.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, the painting is lovely. Loads better than I could do.

Not much going on here. I want to clean up my studio space after dumping everything from the trip. Then I really, really need to get back to making critters.

Debby
                                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Thanks Debbie.

This actually helps. doing watercolour. I can see ways to turn it into an art quilt more easily. I simplified the skirt and shirt.

I have to do some more of it.

This was kind of scary to do. All the other water colours were done under Frank’s instruction. This one I had to break down into the layers and techniques by my self.

I brought it to class but I didn’t want to show it but when I was taking out the previous class home work the guy next to me saw it. So the others came to look but I put it back in the bag. Then they all told on me and I had to show it.:eek: :eek: :o :o
                                                    I think Frank like it. I myself pointed out where I screwed up …. so I didn’t give him a chance to point anything out. But he said my daughter would probably love it as a gift. I am not sure whether he meant it was good or that only a daughter could love it.

Doll Art by Lena

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.