Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk HARD pastel poll

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    SSB

Hello all! What hard pastel brand do you prefer. Please feel encouraged to explain why in the comments. It may be useful information to post what you don’t like about the brands you didn’t choose, if anything. Thanks!

I tried to leave out chalks, and one or two brands I feel are inferior. I did leave a couple of brands that I consider inferior, student grade, because they may be very popular. Thanks again!

SSB

I will start, I like the Faber-Castell Polychromos, which we have just discovered very recently. We are blown away, they glow next to the others we have (NuPastel, Cretacolor, Derwent). They lay down clean, they are like the Girault of hard pastels!
            Mungyo Gallery on the other hand are the only pastels I’ve ever had to return. They are unusable IMO.

allydoodle

I have no preference as I’ve only used Nupastel hard pastels. I have nothing to compare themto. I don’t use them much, just in portrait workshops on Canson paper. I am interested in hearing what others like though, because I’m thinking I could use another set of something just for workshops. Thanks for posting this, I’ll be watching!

Chris - WetCanvas Guide, Pastel Forum

Sarah

I only have NuPastels and a few Daler-Rowneys. The D-Rs are pretty soft compared to the NuPastels, I don’t like them as much, but like others the consistency varies and there are a few red browns that I really like.

sarahrosefineart.com

I had used only NUPASTEL, but I have other brands and do not use them much. I like NuPASTEL since I was introduced in a workshop years ago. I believe it is made in USA also.
                    Moe

JPQ

I dont care much this kind stuff but i prefer Faber-Castell colour range (i have only 24 colour set now which is suitable becouse even these are not fully my taste i think after i used them end i dont get more). I also tested Conte and Cretacolour. Which both also have few nice colours but Cretacolour is bit cool side always based these about 48? (i mean count what i tested) pastels. But i dont like their odour and i prefer Faber-Castell size. And i dont like Conte is today made in china. and i have few new Cran D’aches in product samples i like them almost Faber-Castell levels. maybe little less when we talk odour colour range is best with Faber-Castell to my taste. and i cannot get them one by one which means to me much. Actually only Conte and Cretacolor i can get one by one.

Studio-1-F

It seems you can buy Caran d’Ache Pastel “Cubes” in six-stick color group sets, but not individually. Which is too bad. I wonder if/when Dakota might be offering them.

Do these sets seem a bit expensive to you too? Hmmm.

Jan

Bijou314

Cretacolor pastels don’t break easily. I like that. They have nice yellows and greys, too. Thanks SSB!

C & C greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Davkin

I will start, I like the Faber-Castell Polychromos, which we have just discovered very recently. We are blown away, they glow next to the others we have (NuPastel, Cretacolor, Derwent). They lay down clean, they are like the Girault of hard pastels!
                                    Mungyo Gallery on the other hand are the only pastels I’ve ever had to return. They are unusable IMO.

I agree, I’m a big fan of the Polychromos. If they doubled or tripled the color range I could probably do all my paintings using them alone.

David

David

Profi9le

I used to use NuPastel, but then I discovered that some of the colors (violets, magentas especially) are fugitive. They fade noticeably in just a few months. So, I switched to Polychromos, which are a tad softer, but their colors are permanent.

Michael Chesley Johnson AIS MPAC PSA
                                        www.MChesleyJohnson.com

JPQ

It seems you can buy [URL=http://www.hyatts.com/art/caran-d-ache-pastel-sets-1.486016]Caran d’Ache Pastel “Cubes” in six-stick color group sets[/URL], but not individually. Which is too bad. I wonder if/when Dakota might be offering them.

Do these sets seem a bit expensive to you too? Hmmm.

Jan

Yes if you talk me and even more then some hues are not so useful when we talk lightffastness. they still have some problematic colours and even one uses very problematic pigment called pigment blue 1.(pb1). which is know very fugitive pigment.

Studio-1-F

Yes if you talk me and even more then some hues are not so useful when we talk lightffastness. they still have some problematic colours and even one uses very problematic pigment called pigment blue 1.(pb1). which is know very fugitive pigment.

That’s not good news! Please point me to the webpage that shows the pigments used in these. Thanks!

EDIT ::: Never mind. I found it. It’s here.

Jan

Graphica

Of the above I only have the Nupastel, Faber-Castell, and Cretacolor. Of the three, the Fabers are the clear winners. I avoid using the Nupastel for anything but sketching. I’ve been meaning to get some Daler-Rowney.

SSB

I figured most would have picked Nupastel, but I am surprised that nobody seems to prefer Cretacolor or one of the other brands! I knew FC was preferred, but I thought they were prohibitively expensive. We would have never been able to buy them new… Hopefully more folks will chime in!

Studio-1-F

All these brands appear to be almost the exact size and shape —
                                                            Cretacolor pastels: $1.20 (Dakota); $1.14 (Blick)
                                                            Nupastels: $1.30 (Dakota); $.81 (Blick)
                                                            FC Polychromos: $1.95 (Dakota); $1.53 (Blick)
                                                            Caran d’Ache: $3.67 each (Hyatt’s) :eek:

So yes, the Polychromos are about 50% more than the Nupastels. That is a substantial difference.

Jan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.