WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2020, 12:00 PM

Hails from United States
Tips for getting unwanted graphite mark off of Bristol board

Hi! I got this drawing out to work on this morning and promptly dropped my sharp 5B pencil on it I tried erasing with multiple types of eraser and it barely looks lighter. Iíve circled the spot using my phone. It isnít on the main subject, but I had planned to keep the background light. I know it looks super tiny but it is pretty noticeable in person. The drawing is on 16x20Ē Bristol board. Any advice?

I also noticed how uneven the skin looks too... maybe itís time to start over and cut my losses? Any advice on evening it out? Iíve been trying to build slowly with light layers increasing in grade. Metal bar looks curved because the board has a slight bend to it still, it should flatten out if/when I frame it.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2020, 12:51 PM

Re: Tips for getting unwanted graphite mark off of Bristol board

Sign the picture in that spot.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2020, 01:54 PM
WC! Guide
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States

It happened to me before. One idea is to darken the background and blend it with soft tissue. I would try first on a copy of the work, and try different shapes of shadows. I would to place a shadow in an oblique way to give the feeling of light from the top, since she is looking up.
The skin could soften with soft tissue as well. In general, you have a great work.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 03:42 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks Moises, Iíve seen your work and that means a lot. Iím going to keep working on it. Hopefully it will improve.

Jtomasella we will see if it has to come to that haha!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtomasella
Sign the picture in that spot.

That is utterly brilliant!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2020, 07:40 AM

Using an eraser may have been your second mistake. Erasers may actually push graphite deeper into the paper, making it impossible to remove marks, short of actually cutting through the surface with a hobby knifeósomething to avoid, if at all possible.

Always use poster putty first. By poster putty, I do mean Blu-Tack, and nothing else. You can smash it into the paper and pull out graphite that an eraser would simply push in deeper. I like kneaded rubber erasers enough to use them once in a while, but poster putty has so much more tack that I prefer it in almost every case. Matter of fact, Blu-Tack has so much tack that it will pull paper fibers apart, if you get carried away!

The idea is that poster putty will lift most graphite from paper completely, and pull the rest close to the paper surface, where an eraser can actually remove it.

After poster putty, you use a gentle vinyl eraser, or something equally soft. If that doesn't work, go to a harder eraser, such as a Pink Pearl. If that doesn't work, go to one of the old typewriter erasersópink first, and then white. Those white typewriter erasers will absolutely damage the paper surface, but you can work around some damage, provided it is not severe. You can also scratch into the paper with a hobby knife, but that is a desperate gamble.

Signing the drawing at that spot is the best idea I can imagine. You might also add something to the composition that is dark enough to mask the mistake.

I would not abandon the work because of that mark, or the bend you describe. I didn't even notice that bend, until I read your mention of itómy focus was on the subject, which looks great.

Don't beat yourself up over this. Mistakes like that will happen from time to time. Roll with it.

Last edited by Bless Our Teachers : 02-01-2020 at 07:50 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
At Da beach in florida, Cocoa beach, Cape canaveral, Merritt Island.

I think you should look at it as a "Happy Mistake" and see it as a sign from god telling you to loosen up you drawings. It is so small, no one will notice it and even if they did, they would think it is supposed to be there. You can sign it there but that would be a HUGE change in your composition.

I have just been thrown out of the inn where I was staying, naked as a worm. Claude Monet
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2020, 02:17 PM
Reno

Hails from United States

That is a clean drawing.

As for the marks. When inking, a good way to hid mistakes is to add a little something to it. Like turning the mark into part of the background by disguising it as a far off lamp post or tree or part of the jungle gym.

If you insist on a solid white, doing an acrylic wash over that part of the drawing should wash out everything.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2020, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
At Da beach in florida, Cocoa beach, Cape canaveral, Merritt Island.

Words you hear before a painting is destroyed. "Let me fix this one last thing".

I have just been thrown out of the inn where I was staying, naked as a worm. Claude Monet
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2020, 05:54 PM

Hails from United States

Iíve worked on it a little more using the suggestions. Not finished yet... but taking a little break.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2020, 06:03 PM

Hails from United States

Bless our teachers, i wish I had your recommendations before. In my research I erroneously used a knife next... I was able to disguise it (poorly) with some cloudy ish texture in the background. Iíll probably finish it and keep it as a good lesson learned.

Steve T Laws, thanks for your suggestion the above is my effort to ďdisguiseĒ

Joe surfer, isnít it so true about ďfixingĒ! Iíve made many pieces worse by my fixing haha! I need to think think of these things more has happy mistakes. Thatís how we learn right?