Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Learning Center A good dose of Notan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    Sonni

Last weekend I took a workshop from Kim Lordier. It was excellent for us who struggle with composition and value. Kim stressed notans using three values of Tombow pens. We did notan after notan the first day. After the notans (forget color, it didn’t happen on day one), we referred to the notan to sketch in our design on Wallis paper with a dark gray nu pastel, then used turpenoid to create values. Day two in the field, more notans, more sketching in, and then painting. For anyone who hasn’t gone through this process (don’t think one time will do it, either :rolleyes: ), Kim’s workshop is well worth the dollars. You go away knowing what to practice to make your work actually work. I figure between Marc Hanson’s black and white studies, and Kim’s notans, I may get the concept this year. Here’s the plein air about 2 hours (with a little studio tweaking) from Sunday. 9×12 on wallis paper. One is desaturated to show the structure of the painting.

1-structure

--Hard critiques always welcome.
        [FONT=Arial]More stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/27594229@N06/
        However you choose to paint, get it right in every necessary respect. That does not mean "tight" or detailed. [Richard Schmid]

nana b

Sonni, I want a good dose of Notan too! I would love to take a workshop with Kim but alas, she is too far away:crying:
            Your painting is very beautiful and I can see her teachings in it! Aren’t you the lucky one!! Happy painting!!:thumbsup:

nana

Deborah Secor

BEAUTIFUL, Sonni! The composition is dramatic, the structure of the values is solid, your light touch with the pastels is pleasing and I like the colors. Very nice–obviously our Kim is a great teacher, but you’re a very apt artist! Excellent. So glad you shared.

Deborah

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                Gouache Blog

backlash

Sonni, this is awesome. I’m emberrassed to admit that I had never heard of the word “notan” and googled it to find out the exact meaning or the term. I’ve been reading a lot of threads here advocating the use of preliminary sketches and using vine charcoal to work in your values prior to putting in the actual pastels and after seeing this, I think I’ll give it a stab. Weren’t you lucky to be able to learn from Kim. I would die to take some lessons from her, and from Deborah (hint, hint… the offer is still open to come to the Vineyard – maybe next year??? I could house up to nine people or so!) Anyways, this painting is so full of motion, yet so simple. Bravo!!

Leslie

Colorix

Gorgeous! And thanks for the ‘scoop’ on the workshop!

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog

dvantuyl

Thanks for the write-up on Kim’s workshop. I just ordered some Towbow pens.

Sonni

Thanks folks…Looking at the painting I can see where I was sidetracked from the notan I used. So I guess I’d better get better at notans–:wink2: .

Nana–you can dose yourself without a workshop. Keep white as the lightest, use a light value, middle value, then a good dark value pen. I had some sienna colored values and I don’t recommend using them. Black to white keeps you on the value track. Block in 3-4 large shapes, tie the darkest ones together and don’t make all the shapes the same size. Keep doing it until you get a good composition. That’ll be 50 cents, please. :D

Thanks Deborah. I thought she was a very good and energetic instructor.

Thanks Leslie, I think notan is a Japanese term. Kim explained it and I can’t remember exactly what she said. But it sure works. With each one I did (and I did several of the same scene) I could refine my idea more.

Thanks Charlie. It was a good workshop.:thumbsup:

Donna–Tombow pens are great. I’ve used them as underpaintings, dragging lines around by spritzing with water.

--Hard critiques always welcome.
                                [FONT=Arial]More stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/27594229@N06/
                                However you choose to paint, get it right in every necessary respect. That does not mean "tight" or detailed. [Richard Schmid]

catrus

I love this. The colors are wonderful!

chewie

you did great, and thanks for the review! i would also love to take a kim workshop altho i too am just too far away:(

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
                                        --- "Interview with God" (author unknown)
                                        ]

edencompton

This is just beautiful Sonni — I love the way you applied the pastel in the full version!

Tressa

Your study shows in this Sonni, a very lovely solid painting!
                                                Tres

My Webpage: www.zhibit.org/treshommel
                                                Blog:http://leonardosloft.blogspot.com/
                                                Test
                                                "We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)

IMaybe

:clap: It was so nice of you to share this with us, and this is a great painting! Your color choices are very realistic—-and the values are even better than that. Would also love to attend a clinic by KimL. You are working very hard, and it is paying off!

binkie

Beautiful job on this, Sonni. Notons and Tombow pens?? I’ll have to get busy and learn what they are all about.

binkie

CindyW

Love it!! Very expressive and loose, full of emotion.

Cindy
                                                            Never stop learning.[/B][/COLOR]
                                                            http://www.cindywentzell.com/[/URL]
                                                            [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Adriana Meiss

Sonni,
                                                                Your painting is lovely and the technique very interesting.
                                                                I would love to take a workshop with Kim someday!

You said,

…I can see where I was sidetracked from the notan I used.

Could you explain where you feel you got sidetracked?
                                                                Also, do you work on the notan or do you use it as a reference?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 150 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.