Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera My first attempt using gouache, The St. Johns River

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    fullcirclenow

It’s approx 4″x5″ on watercolor paper.

Dee Jarvis

I just started painting with gouache myself. You’re doing well, nice reflection of the cattails. It looks like it was a very bright day!

DougInNC

I really like your painting.

If it’s OK to ask, what is your painting experience? I’m trying to figure out how someone can be so accomplished in a new medium, like you’ve demonstrated, and I seem to just flail around. In general I am a quick learner, and am very adaptable, but not when it comes to painting.

So far I have struggled to come to grips with (1st) watercolor, then gouache, casein, and pastels. So far I’ve learned that transparent watercolor and I don’t get along well at all, and that maybe I should stick with oil painting which I am pretty decent with. But I ‘d really rather move to casein and gouache (for a number of reasons) . They just don’ t behave like oils, and I can’t seem to find the magic that unlocks the mysteries around them, in spite of doing things like absorbing all of James Gurney’s YouTube demos and lessons.

Very frustrating for me, but I am very happy for you.

Doug (the North Carolina one)

fullcirclenow

Doug,
                Thank you!

I’ve been painting for two years and honestly I think I just get lucky sometimes but I feel like I will never develop a technique that works every time. Part of my process is to take a picture on my phone periodically and convert it to grayscale to make sure it’s not getting too muddled, that there are good contrasts. Sometimes I will see a way to go that way.

I have never had a successful oil painting and that put me off art 25 years ago and acrylics brought me back, haha. I think I am really going to like gouache a lot though. In my case I always use enough water to make it flow off the brush, and use a smaller brush than my first instinct would be. Have fun!

Dee

Dee Jarvis

Boafamily

Nice job and keep them coming.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.