WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2020, 07:26 PM

Smile How to get more colours from my 12 set?

Hi!

So i recently purchased my first pack of 12 Derwent Procolour pencils. I'm really happy with them and the colours are so vibrant and pop. However, in looking at tutorials on youtube and images of things i would like to draw, I've realised that my 12 set does not include a lot of the colours i need to make them realistic.

Now i've heard here and there that you can blend basic colours together to get a much wider range but i haven't seen any resources online that gives more information about this. I've tried to mix red and blue to make purple and mix red and green to make blue according to the colour wheel. But all i get is a reddy-bluey mess and a reddy-green mess that look more like brown than anything else.

Could someone give me the low down on "mixing" coloured pencils to get "new" colours is really possible and point me in the right direction?

P.s. i know that it isn't really mixing and its just blending the colours together to get the illusion of a new colour.

P.s.s. Is there a way to set my language to English English so i don't get constant red lines under the correct spellings?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 04:41 AM

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: How to get more colours from my 12 set?

My tip would be to create a mixing chart. A 12 x 12 grid with each colour blended with every other colour in a 50 / 50 ratio.

This would be your start point. You can then experiment with varying the ratios and adding more colours.

It's all about playing and practice.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon ess
My tip would be to create a mixing chart. A 12 x 12 grid with each colour blended with every other colour in a 50 / 50 ratio.

This would be your start point. You can then experiment with varying the ratios and adding more colours.

It's all about playing and practice.

Thanks Simon. I will give that a go.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2020, 07:02 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States

I have a 24 set of Derwent Procolour pencils but I haven't done much with them yet. I can separate out the pencils that come in the 12 pack and see how well I can use them to mix the colors I need. I actually prefer using a smaller number of pencils and mixing the colors that I need. What are some of the pictures you are interested in trying to draw? I noticed that the set does not come with a white pencil which is a bit unusual, but if you work on white paper, it shouldn't be a huge setback.

I love color theory and find it fascinating. I can actually ramble for hours about how to mix colors and the difference between using the primary colors "blue, red, and yellow" vs using the primary colors "cyan, magenta, and yellow." Mixing red and blue together will not make a bright purple no mater what you do. The best you can get is a greyish purple. You can mix a much brighter purple by mixing magenta with cyan. You cannot mix blue using a red and green. To get blue, you will actually need a blue or cyan pencil which you can then mix with other colors to get different tones of blue.

I'm gonna play with the pencils myself tonight and I'll upload a picture with what I come up with.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2020, 09:59 PM

Hi Kirby! Thanks for the response!

I'm pretty open to project types as i'm just beginning but so far i've mostly been drawing nature (fruit, landscapes etc..) and portraits. I've found that getting skin and eye colours accurately especially require a lot of layered colours to get the same sort of depth. Like an iris seems to have so many shades of colours layered. Yes the white pencil is missing but I think i will grab it separately and in fact i may just splash out for the 60 set of procolours anyway.

Even still i'm interested in learning about colour theory since it seems handy to know. So i understand that a set of primary colours can make a "gamut" of colours by mixing. But i've read that there are no defined primary colours in reality, you can just choose you're own? And another question: Should i really be able to create any shade of blue by mixing it with black or white? It seems difficult in practice for me at least.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2020, 10:21 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States

There are no three colors that you can mix every single color out of. That's because of the limitations of pigments, the binding in the pencil, the way the light waves reflect off the pigment. The printing industry often uses only magenta, cyan, yellow, and black ink on a white background because with those 4 pigments, you can mix most other colors closely enough without the expense of buying many different colors of ink. It does not translate as well with colored pencils because of the limitation of layering, human error, and only having certain pigments available in colored pencils.

You will be able to create different values of blue by mixing them with black and white, but you will not be able to mix every shade of blue. There is a big variety of colors and pigments that we call "blue." Different pencils use different pigments. Mixing blue with a little of it's complimentary color will actually desaturate the blue.

I definitely recommend buying the 60 set though. Having more colors to play with is always fun
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2020, 09:16 PM

So I finally created a colour grid with the set and as you can see a lot of the colours mix quite well. Most of the light colours mix very well but the blues and purple seem to create more of a halfway dulled colour than a coherent hue. I did get lots of interesting greens and browns though. I'm going to do some blending with rubbing alcohol to see what i get. Will report back.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2020, 08:26 AM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Hello nomadic

Thank you for sharing your chart! You created an impressive range of colors out of your 12 originals. I like the soft natural feel to your chart, the colors seem suitable for a wide range of subjects.

One day I hope to invest in a small set of Derwents and hope I can blend them as well as you did!

Mary Flora
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2020, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom

Some very interesting colour mixes in the middle of the grid there - thanks for showing us.

http://claudiasartlife.blogspot.co.uk/