WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portrait Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2013, 07:34 AM
Hampshire, uk

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Mark Montana / Hyperrealist portrait artist

Fabulous work done with great skill and talent. As to whether it is 'art' I've always thought that if it captures the essence or soul of the subject and moves the viewer then it's art, regardless of its style and format. That criteria certainly applies here, well done! Look forward to seeing more of your work and I'll make a point of looking up your technical info on other forums, should be fascinating.

Chris
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2013, 02:09 AM

If I can add my two bits worth to some of the previous commments. I believe an artist can call himself an artist when the work that he does evokes a feeling in the viewers of his work. Be it pleasure or even horror. To evoke a passionate response from the viewer in an inanimate object or picture, is a skill and that is where even photographers can be termed artists. I admire your work and your patience to execute it but prefer work that stimulates a response. (come to that I am responding.) Luckily we are not all cast from the same mould as the world would really be boring. Dont let others comments put you off, what you clearly enjoy doing. Cheers.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2013, 04:42 PM

Does anyone know where there are workshops for hyperrealism...charcoal or painting...any medium? I don't do well from youtube tutorials or books. I learn quickly but must be in person.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2014, 04:52 PM

Hails from United States

Simply amazing. I'm a fan of photorealism myself. To me, it's just so exciting when you can create something like you're a camera. There's some kind of incredible delight when you can look at something that used to be a white piece of paper and now almost looks like the real thing is looking back at you. Stunning. Great work!
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2014, 05:53 PM

Mr. Montana, to say your work is impressive would be redundant at best, and understatement at worse. May I instead ask a question:

What is your position on tracing?

I can tell from your words here that you likely shun this practice, at your current level. But for someone who's learning how to draw: do you think tracing is something that can help one's progress, or an unnecessary crutch?

(As wet behind the ears as I am) I've always leaned to the latter position, but sometimes I wonder if it's unneeded stubbornness on my part.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 12:26 PM

Hey Mark: I just want to say that I love your work! I am currently working on hyperrealist portraiture - it ain't easy! I also want to say that I think your mom is absolutely gorgeous - I'm turning 65 myself this April and still clean up pretty good, too - I love seeing images of beautiful, older women who obviously care about what they look like.
Louise
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Madison, WI & Nokomis, FL

Hails from United States

Mark, excellent breakdown of your chosen realm of expression. Why not, indeed? As much as I love the work of Chuck Close, I admire him more for his work processes (many of which he developed himself), than for his ability to render a person or thing accurately. I think all artists are searching for tools of self-expression and wherever we find them is part of our personal journey. It is unwise and fruitless to question the value or relevance of that journey BECAUSE of its deeply subjective nature.

I also love Basquiat, Bacon, and many other painters who work in decidedly non-realistic ways, and I love their work because something in their journey resonates with mine. That doesn't make me want to paint like them, I just "get" and appreciate what they're doing. Yeah, many very successful artists aren't my favorite (Tracey Emin, anyone?), and I can even roll my eyes a bit at what the critics are gushing over. But I would hesitate to say the critics are merely foolish and trend-seeking. Art, by its very nature, is terribly subjective, so SOMETHING resonated with them when they saw Tracey's "bed", for example.

Discussions of Art vs. Craft are always misguided, in my view. The best we can do is satisfy ourselves with what we're creating and tell our own story. Artists who need to provide manifestos to explain their work are clearly operating in a realm that is more intellectual than visceral. That doesn't trip my trigger, but it very well might be more relevant to some than the most accomplished Sargent portrait or Rembrandt genre scene. All I can say is, I know what I like and I like what I know, and so does everyone else. There is no universal standard for taste, nor should there be!

That said, you are killing it with your drawings and if they make you happy, keep working in the exact same manner. If you are restless, abandon the comfortable and explore. Your art is your universe, and you get to build it to your specifications. The ONE mistake I think an artist can make is to try to do work to please other people. Period.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2015, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Madison, WI & Nokomis, FL

Hails from United States

I think I should add that by "killing it", I meant that you are doing superbly. I got a bit slangy there...
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
farnham, surrey

Hails from United Kingdom

fantastic work.. fantastic words.. I wish I would have had you wonderful explanation on this thread…
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...1381674&page=3
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2016, 12:22 PM
Kitchener Ontario

Hails from Canada

These are great! I was wondering what you would consider the difference in details between realism and hyperrealism...what just makes it THAT much more real when you look at it?
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:22 PM

go to google, and search the name tjalf sparnaay
welcome hyperrealism,

Last edited by G.D. : 04-27-2017 at 05:51 PM.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2017, 06:26 PM
South Texas

Hails from United States

Very Beautiful paintings