Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Oil-from-life challenge, Dec. 2018: optional theme of "holidays" (broadly defined)!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Grotius

Welcome to December! Let’s paint from life! As always, feel free to post whatever you like — landscapes, portraits, figures, still lifes, whatever — so long as your work is painted primarily from life. This month I’m suggesting a “holidays” optional theme — Chanukah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, New Year’s, Winter Revels, whatever you like. As always, the theme is just a suggestion; post whatever you like. Four guidelines:

1. Please paint primarily from life — not from photographs or imagination. It’s okay to post finished studio works based on studies from life; in that case, please post the original study as well as the finished work.

2. Please submit something created either last month or this month, not something you’ve done in the more distant past.

3. Please paint in oils. That said, please feel free to post studies in any other medium, so long as you also post your oil painting(s).

4. Please list the size of your painting and support. E.g., ‘”8×10″, oil on panel.’

Optional: Tell us the title of your painting!

—————–

Unfinished works, studies, and outright failures are all welcome. There’s no requirement that you invite comment & critique. If you’d rather post without being critiqued, just say so; that’s fine by me!

You can find older oil-from-life threads in the “hall of fame” subforum of the Oil Painting forum.

I hope you’ll all consider posting a painting or two! Thanks.

- Geoff.
        My website and blog: https://www.geoffwatsonart.com/

moscatel

I was painting in pine trees in Sancti Petri. Size: 41×24 cm, oil on canvas, “Pine Trees in Sancti Petri”.

moscatel

location photo:

Grotius

Looks good, Moscatel! Nice job on the tree trunks and foliage. It’s a complicated scene, and you’ve done a good job of interpreting it.

Can I ask what kind of pochade box you’re using? It looks nice and lightweight. Is it made out of aluminum? I may have to get one!

- Geoff.

moscatel

Grotius, thanks!
                        The pochade box is designed and self made by me. It´s not aluminium but mostly thin wood and similar materials. Some of the materials I found in my house, some pieces bought from a hardware store. I wanted a very light box so I made one of my own. The tripode is Manfrotto which is sturdy and won´t fall over. It could be lighter but I need it because I paint in high winds (Fuerteventura, top of mountains etc) time to time.

I´m doing 24-daily-paintings this month and will post some of them here if I have enough posting energy (& if there are others also posting their work :crossfingers: to keep up and running this thread :wink2: ).

Today I painted “Starfish”. It´s oil on gessoed odorless elephant dung fabricated strong paper (the same paper as before). About 20×20 cm. Note! No animal was hurt by me in process of making this starfish painting from life! I found the starfish laying on the beach sand in Sancti Petri. It wasn’t moving and had already cuts in two of its arms (see 2nd photo). I don’t know how did it end up to dry sand but I can only guess, maybe bird brought it? Maybe big wave washed it to sand?

here´s the model:

ronsu18

tanning while reading, not bad.. 😊 that’s a good collection of images, moscatel, i love your skies! you didn’t by chance use a fan brush this time? it’s been a while we’ve seen your still lifes, zoomed in and studied the background stroke by stroke. the brushwork, impasto and textures are all wonderful! i hope you find time for posting, are you taking a class or is it your own daily paintproject?

C&C welcome

Grotius

Moscatel, that’s a fascinating starfish portrait. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a starfish up close like that. It’s a thing of beauty. Yes, I feel bad for its clipped arms; as you say, it might have been a bird or some other predator.

Also, I’m delighted to hear you’re doing the daily-painting thing! That’s my resolution for this month too: a painting a day, until Christmas week, when I’ll be too busy with family. Actually, first I have to finish a commissioned small landscape painting. It will be partly from life, so I hope to post it here.

In other news, I sold three more paintings at a craft show today, which was a pleasant surprise. I don’t normally expect to sell anything at those things, as people mostly shop for cheaper items. So I’ve sold about 20 paintings this month. I’m running out of inventory! One reason I’m going back to daily painting!

- Geoff.

ronsu18

😀😀😀 great news! congratulations!

C&C welcome

moscatel

Palmtree from Belen, 12×24 cm, oil on canvas paper

Ronsu, thank you! I dont take a class here, this is just a personal project for fun. I have too much free time here to paint. No fan brush used in this or seastar paintings.

Grotius, thank you! Good for you to plan to paint daily paintings. Sometimes they are difficult but in a row of many you get super paintings done! Did you ever find the lost little painting that you had a client interested of it? Gongrats for more sales!! :thumbsup:

Grotius

Thanks, Moscatel! Nope, I never found the lost little painting. I still have some places to search, though. Maybe it will turn up. In the meantime I’m about to sell another painting, so my spirits are still good. Plus a reporter put one of my paintings on the front page of a local daily newspaper (!), and that’s generated some very welcome inquiries via the internet. Yay!

Moscatel, that’s a cool painting of a palm tree. It’s casting a shadow on a wall, I assume? Also, which Belen is it? That’s Spanish for Bethlehem, yes? We have a Belen here in the States, in New Mexico, but I’m guessing you’re in Spain or France?

My daily painting has been delayed because of a plumbing emergency, lol. I have plumbers here today. I hope they finish today so I can get back to work.

- Geoff.

Grotius

I did a still life today, hated it, and wiped it off! I’ll try again tonight or tomorrow.

- Geoff.

moscatel

.. I’ll try again tonight or tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

Here´s my still life with Christmas theme: candles and red. I wanted to practice reds and whites. I first added one shell to make it more interesting, it looked odd so I added the ochre color shell. I thought enough and stopped adding shells. Shell are fast to add so that is the reason I added shells. Besides we had picked them recently up at the beach. On the table etc there are some damages which I will repaint when I mix that color hue again soon.

“Three Candles”, about 20×24 cm, oil on canvas paper

moscatel

My Christmas challenge continues: “Christmas Balls”, 10×24 cm, oil on canvas. I was inspired to try painting different materials.

I´m off to beach until Christmas so most likely will paint there landscape or whatever I find interesting .. waves at the beach maybe .. but I try to select some Christmas theme as well.

Grotius

Moscatel, those are two of your best! I wonder if still life is your favorite genre, because it seems to bring out the best in you.

The candles are exquisite. I love the warmer yellows mixed in with the cooler greys and whites. The drawing is perfect. The wicks look utterly convincing. What is the white spot in the foreground-left — a drop of wax? The reflections are very nice, and the seashells add a note of interest. How long did it take you? Also, what is “canvas paper?”

I like the ornaments just as much. I don’t recall you painting on canvas very often, but I love the effect of the canvas here. Also, I find it difficult to paint objects with patterns on them, but you pulled it off well.

All in all, bravo! Some of your best work.

- Geoff.

AnnieA

I wanted to post this but dinner’s getting cold so it’ll be short…

mosc, you’ve been painting up a storm! Lovely stuff and I especially like that beautiful starfish, and the candles and ornaments.

I just attended the second of a two-session life drawing studio. I wasn’t able to finish, but here’s how far I got:
                                                                December ‘2018 Figure Study
                                                                11×14 oil on stretched canvas

Please tell me if the color looks OK on this. I’ve re-edited it three times, but when I look at the first one (this one) in another browser it looks pretty much OK although the color is still off. In the first browser this piece looked very washed out.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                                [FONT=Palatino]
                                                                “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.