WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Darkroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2012, 02:35 AM
central NY

Hails from United States
first artistic photo

I was walking by the paint color swatch display at WalMart and noted that the swatches were about the same size as my flash. I am new to dSLR and don't have any gels yet, so I picked a couple up. I'm interested in both photo and art critique, but more the art side. I'm a science geek, and am usually kind of technical, but now and then I have these crazy ideas, some of which I even execute, like this one.

Photo details are below the image. Is it ok to post a link to Flickr for this shot? The resizing looks like it did something to image quality.

Thanks!

50 mm lens reversed mount, f 16

YN-560, pilot button used twice to activate flash (full power) in different locations bouncing off free paint swatch card. Colors used: Candy Apple WGR21 and Cool Cobalt WGB16 (both Glidden Brilliance Collection). Shot inside a 3 sided posterboard light box (matte, bottom, two sides), taking care to aim main beam outside of box.

I used 6 second exposure in otherwise dark room. Needed 6 s due to manual dexterity limitations of operator.

The only post processing was to use exposure compensation in RawTherapee to move histogram as far right as could be done without blowing more highlights after using neutral profile for reading RAW. Camera body white balance was sunlight. Software spot white balance of light box gave muddy background - after seeing it I realized this shot doesn't want the "white" background to be white and undid the spot white balance.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:32 AM
A Local Legend
South Dakota, USA

Hails from United States
Re: first artistic photo

Interesting shot. I like the colors and composition. Well done on the highlights.
It is OK to use Flicker but keep in mind when you move or delete the photo this thread will not have a photo. Just a box with a red X.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2012, 02:54 AM
central NY

Hails from United States

Thank you for your thoughts and answers.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Hi Mek,

Good use of available materials - there's always more than one way to solve a problem

How do you like the YN-560? I've been wondering about getting one.

I'm always amazed by how well the reversed 50 trick works for macro. It has to be a bit tricky to use, but the results sure seem to be worth it!

Regards,
James.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2012, 03:54 AM
central NY

Hails from United States

The YN-560 is my first Speedlight, so I don't have anything to compare it too. In addition to 1/2, 1/4, etc down to (iirc) 1/128 power settings, it has 8 - 10 fine tuning settings for each major fraction, so you can really dial in where you want the output.

It is all manual, so no TTL or anything. However, if you are using a TTL master, your body meter should (might?) read the light from the YN flash in order to adjust the TTL flash, but the camera wouldn't adjust the YN flash.

I went back and received some extra paint swatches. Planning a little additive color study. Not sure if it will be better here in Photography or in Color Theory. Leaning towards color theory in case more folks are interested. Also need to review rules here about multiple forum posting. "The Miniatures Page" message board allows one to link a thread to multiple forums which I think is one of the neatest features since sliced bread.