WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#526   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2014, 05:11 AM

Re: PANPASTEL SHOW AND TELL--instructions and inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by linettalee
Thank you, Robert. You know, I keep trying to keep this thread from completely dying, but posts are getting rarer and rarer.

hi.
i have to put my 2 cents worth in now. i've been reading all of your posts - phew!
i am also drooling over pans. i just discovered them and i so want some! but i have to wait maybe 3 or 4 weeks! aaaagghh.
now i want the metallics also. i just had the basic set and the seascape set on my wishlist, but now i want the metallics! grrrr. thanks robert. it's your fault! lol.
i love them already and i haven't used them yet! i see they would be great for getting those tiny details in a painting, using the tools of course. i need those. but i have pallets so i don't need to buy those. and i have already some mi-teintes pastel paper, a4 size, which is good for me.
i'll post my results when i have some. it won't be 'till next month though. meanwhile i'm gonna lurk, so keep on posting!
i might nose in occasionally but i'll be reading and soaking up your pan pastel experiences.
cheers from oz
michele.
  #527   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2014, 08:41 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Because I used metallic Pan Pastels to tone the paper on this one, I thought I would share it here.

What I did was to first tone a 6"x6" piece of white Wallis Pro with some metallic Pan Pastels, mixed with some plane Jane, non-metallic ones. I then went in with vine charcoal for the quick sketch, then my sticks for the painting. When near completion, I thought that the metallics were almost covered, so I hit the background in some spots again with them. After looking at it when done, I noticed that the metallics came through the sticks and mixed with them, so you can see their sparkle throughout the painting. Pretty cool actually. I thought it might end up being too much and a bit garish, but it actually isn't. The painting glows even more than just using the plain pastels. I wouldn't do this will all my paintings, but it is really cool, and a fun way to change things up.

"Pink Lady", Pastel, 6" x 6"
Painted on Wallis Pro
Paper toned with Pan pastels
Used Unison, Mount Vision, Ludwig, Girault, and Great American pastels

#528   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2014, 10:37 AM

I really like your apple Chris. You took a simple subject and made it beautiful. How did you get that golden texture on the background and the texture on the apple? Almost looks like you used a homemade ground but I see you are using wallis.
  #529   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2014, 01:10 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Chris, wow! Thank you for posting it to this thread, it's so beautiful. It belongs in the permanent lineup of gorgeous Pan Pastels paintings. That metallic background is spectacular. I love the shading and folds in it, the dimensional quality, the texture of both fruit and background are so cool. Great depth and vivid rich color on the apple! The shadow is very thin and transparent, it reads true and insubstantial. Fantastic work.

I should probably post my two recent Pans pieces here too then!

Pearl in Pearlized Pan Pastels from my pastel journal, a Stillman & Birn Beta journal that has 180lb rough white watercolor paper. I used all six Pearlized colors in the pearl itself and a touch of Fine black pearlized medium, plus a dab of Coarse white pearlized medium at the strongest highlight over a dab of Fine white pearlized Medium. I used Coarse and Fine black Mediums in the background shading from coarse to fine over red with violet glazed over it. This little painting is very layered, I kept going back and forth with different colors playing with the blends of pearlized hues to get the pearl just right. I did it from life with a tiny 1/4" artificial pearl, but it looked real enough for a still life object! The black background of my desk got jazzed up into this glittering red-violet surface.

Shimmering Dawn Skyscape
8" x 10" horizontal
Pans and Pearlescent Pans on hemp paper, photo reference by DAK723.

This one the photo reference reminded me of the colors of the Pearlized Pans set - they're tints just a small step darker than the same colors in regular Tints. I think they're convenience colors mixed with the usual pigments and Fine White Pearlescent Medium instead of white for a smooth mixed pearlescent tint. Seems to me that mixing Fine Black Pearlescent Medium with mass tone colors would give shimmering shades too.

Fine mediums and Pearlescent Pans have a subtle pearlescent sheen. It's not really obvious and if used in a mixture might add a little sparkle and emphasis without being obvious. In this sky they're more like lovely tints flowing and I have to really look to see the pearlescent effect - but it enriches that light soft sky in person. I mean, looking at it on my wall.

Coarse Mediums work more like glitter. The effect is visible right across the room, sparkling and intense, a stronger effect when you want a deliberate glittering effect. For painting nature I'd really think of using Coarse Mediums in building up a granite rock - any of those metamorphic stones full of quartz crystals and other impurities that you wind up seeing a glittering surface effect. I might try the Mediums for that sometime, go hunting for an appropriate still life object and see if I can render a rock with mica bits or quartz inclusions with the Coarse mediums and of course other Pans.

Anyway, there's my review of the newest new colors. WOW they are cool and the six Pearlescent Colors are great shimmering tints. They handle a lot like Daniel Smith Luminescent Watercolors except for the joy of no water. They are convenience colors because you can get the same effect mixing Fine white medium with those colors, but like all the convenience colors they're so convenient and liberating. Being able to add a dash of blue-tint sparkle to something is different from being able to put orange pearlescent accent into a highlight, and the possibilities are great.

In art journaling they'd naturally give a good special effect. All of them would. Mediums by themselves come up white or black with their special effect.

The set of five Mediums also has a Colorless Blender but I haven't really tested that yet, want to find out how well it can glaze out color and if it becomes transparent or just lightens the color - it has to behave differently than white, it's really interesting. I just haven't yet figured out what to test it with. Maybe if I try it on a dark or mid tone surface I can see better what the colorless blender does.

Another thing the Pearlescent Pans would shine for is clouds - I did the dawn landscape and deliberately kept the colors mostly distinct and shading into their nearest spectrum neighbors. But if I wanted gray with subtle hue shifts in cumulus clouds or even an ominous sky, using Pearlescents and then a bit of Fine Black Medium into it to deepen the darks could create gorgeous clouds the way Deborah Secor does. A good mix is orange, lavender, green and a touch of pink.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 10-07-2014 at 01:13 PM.
  #530   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2014, 02:24 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Really nice work Robert! I just can't seem to finish a painting with the pans, I only use them in the beginning stages. My sticks keep calling to me, I can't help it !
  #531   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2014, 02:29 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieindvik
I really like your apple Chris. You took a simple subject and made it beautiful. How did you get that golden texture on the background and the texture on the apple? Almost looks like you used a homemade ground but I see you are using wallis.

Thanks Julie. The golden texture is the metallic pan pastels. I don't do any blending with anything other than the sticks, and when I put the pans over the sticks I applied it pretty heavily. The texture on the apple is from applying the sticks very heavily. Again, no blending whatsoever, just manipulation of the pastel using the sticks. I apply heavily at the end of the process, which gives the texture. If you do it too early on you can fill the tooth and get mud, but once I'm sure I have what I want, I go in pretty heavy with the sticks. Not all the time, and not everywhere, it's intentional and purposeful. I think about where I want the heaviest applications.
  #532   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2014, 04:37 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Chris & Robert - Great information on Metallic and Pearlized PanPastels.
I've thinking of buying some Pearlized Pans - just have to save up first - PanPastels are quite expensive in New Zealand.
I love my Pans! It took me ages to become used to using the sponges to apply the pastel. But now, that I have, I love them.
As Pans are semi-transparent, I have been trying out a kind of transparent technique with them recently. Using a very light colored paper, (as Johannes does) and applying them from light to dark, as I would with watercolors. It doesn't always work, but there's so many different techniques you can use with Pans...they are so exciting to work with!

I did a WIP using PanPastels, for the Floral & Botanical Forum, so if anyone wants to have a look, here's the link: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1358981

Moderator; Animal & Wildlife Forum and Florals & Botanical Forum

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 10-07-2014 at 04:43 PM.
  #533   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2014, 02:37 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

That's a fun thread, your demos are fantastic and the paintings so beautiful. Thanks for linking to it. You spawned two other demos in the same thread using digital and oil painting so that was a kick and a surprise for me.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #534   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2014, 11:32 AM

Hi,
I am new here but I was wandering if you ever see any Johannes Vloothuis paintalongs. He uses pan pastels with sanded paper, and they turn out great.
  #535   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2014, 01:15 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Hi Madjane - Yes Ive watched Johannes videos and love his work.
And you are correct, he uses is a light (sometimes white) Colorfix sanded paper. Colorfix is a great paper to use and holds lots of layers, but it plays havoc with the sponges. Wears them out in no time. I like Colorfix Suede paper, its much smoother but still has some tooth to hold the layers.

Moderator; Animal & Wildlife Forum and Florals & Botanical Forum
  #536   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Lewes, Delaware

Hails from United States

Wow. I just found this thread... on the very day I ordered my first pans. I hope the thread stays active, and I love the first apple of the day, Ally.
N
  #537   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Canon City, Colorado

Hails from United States

Robert and Chris, I was wondering how the metallic pans would be in a painting. I'm glad you shared yours. They are both beautiful pieces of artwork. I may have to get a set and give them a try.
  #538   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2014, 10:12 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Purr thanks! I hope you do get a set and have a go, the metallic pans and pearlized pans are wonderful in paintings. I love that apple Chris did, it's phenomenal, both the fruit and the background so great. One thing I wanted to try with the metallics is the kind of metallic ornamentation you see in Renaissance religious paintings, in haloes and ornamental areas in the painting and fancy borders, also where metallic decorations on cloth come in. Shading metallics down with black or Payne's grey or Umber could help with that effect - create a metallic effect as if doing it with an opaque color but use the metallic Pan where that value of color would be used.

Hmm... now that I have the Mediums too it'd be interesting to use the fine White and Black Medium to shade up and down from silver and pewter in painting a silver object... definite idea forming...