WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 12:21 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada
solar plate etching - echinacea study

I created this plate last year (solar plate..image is derived from pen and ink sketch) and recently decided to pull a few more prints on paper from it. Have an opportunity to put a few small framed pieces in a display of works from an artist collective that will be showcased at a Home & Garden show happening here in a couple weeks.
Thought the botanical connection in the image would be appropriate for the venue.
The difference this time around for the printing was the inking technique I used.
I first wiped Graphic Chemical bone black into the lower recessed "etched' areas and wiped the plate surface fairly clean. I then applied select colors of Akua Intaglio to surface areas using a small brush and wiping using my pinky finger and the ends of rolled up tartalan.
This was printed using a press & blankets on dampened Canson Edition rag.

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Last edited by bridog : 03-14-2012 at 12:28 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 AM

Hails from Australia
Re: solar plate etching - echinacea study

Lovely Brian. Jen
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 AM

I agree. It's beautiful. I love the rich but subtle colors, and the way you left highlights around the flower heads. The dark areas really give it a sense of depth.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

thanks

I am thinking of trying a few more from the plate but this time first printing the colour background (Akua intaglio) followed by a second inking of the plate with a dark GC ink that would be printed over top. I have learned the technique where the edge of the print paper is secured under the press roller and have the plate nicely registered on a thin sheet of paper where it can be removed and set back in place using registration marks to line up with the first impression to print in perfect alignment.

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Last edited by bridog : 03-15-2012 at 07:07 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2012, 05:59 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Very nicely done, Brian... I wouldn't have thought to combine the inks like that. It's a great idea...

Diane