Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone transferring pan watercolors to pallette

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    ssdesign

Hi,
        Can anyone here help me with this?
        Is it possible to move over the pan watercolors cakes from the box onto a palette where I can use them just like I use tube colors?

Has anyone done this before? Is there a specific way in which I need to move them over?

thanks

Minerva C

Are you thinking of any particular brand?

C

"It is only when we are no longer fearful that we begin to create."
            J.M.W. Turner

Bill

You wouldn’t be able to use them in the same way you use tubes.

Why not just keep them for a portable palette and buy some tubes?
                Bill

Be kinder than necessary

briantmeyer

I have done that

There are two approaches, if they come out of the pan easily or are cracked, you can use a very small palette knife to break out the pieces of pigment, or break the plastic part. ( I have some dental tools which actually work well for this )

Or start getting them wet, really wet, via spraying them with water over and over until they are soft thru to the bottom. If they are bit used up this is a lot easier as then you can fill them up with water. Be patient and keep getting more water into them until they are soft enough to transfer. You can get them as wet as tube paint.

In the new pan you need to get them wet and soft enough to fill the new shape, so they stick in their new spot. I also try to mix in glycerin if I need to, especially on ones that took a lot longer to get wet thru and thru.

Don’t worry if you get them so they are way too wet and syrupy, just give them a long enough time to dry back, a syringe ( without a needle ) can be good for moving the liquid as needed.

Spray your pans with water and when color cakes become soft like butter scrub them with a butter knife ( what else ) and put the colors in your palette. Then spray them again and wait a little bit to get softer, and then squeeze them with your butter knife to stick properly in you palette’s wells.

Easy as that. I do it very often especially when I run out of tube colors that I need them inside my studio palette and I have them only in my sketch kit.

ssdesign

Thanks everyone.
                        I will try to wet them for long and see how they behave.

I have Winsor Newton Artist color pans. About 12 of them.

M.L. Schaefer

Great ideas above… I’ve also moved my pan watercolors to palette wells (I bought some Lukas pans to “try” the color – inexpensive – liked them and moved them). Softening through wetting, then moving.

Be sure to keep you W/N pans intact since you can’t buy the right size pans for a W/N box. W/N refuses to sell empty pans. :crying:

Margarete

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
                            Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

tamiea

Ah no wonder I couldn’t find empty pans for WN travel box I use to used. Finally at some point I got fed up and pour paint directly into openings.. Wonder why they don’t want to sell empty pans …

M.L. Schaefer

Sylwia, I (as many others have, I’m sure) contacted W/N about selling empty pans. They responded that W/N tubes aren’t made to fill W/N pans because the pans paints are formulated differently from the tube paints. Go figure! To avoid problems, they’ve decided not to sell empty pans. :)

Margarete

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
                                    Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

Minerva C

Some of the WN colours are better if pans are filled with tube paint than pans. Will never buy another pan of Cerulean Blue, Davys Gray or Viridian. Those pans are very hard. Well, that is my opinion.

C

J.M.W. Turner

briantmeyer

Some of the WN colours are better if pans are filled with tube paint than pans. Will never buy another pan of Cerulean Blue, Davys Gray or Viridian. Those pans are very hard. Well, that is my opinion.

Viridian is hard across all brands. Soften it up which will take patience, then drop in 2-3 drops of glycerin into a cake that is really hard, then stir it up. WN tube paint will be harder than their pans as they add glycerin to their pans but not the tube paint.

star fisher

I found a source for pans that fit Winsor & Newton boxes. They are the same length and width and about 0.5mm higher. They are opaque white like the W&N pans, unlike the translucent pans I’ve gotten from another source. The Kremer Pigmente web site has 1/2 pans in a bag of 25 for $4, full pans for $6 for 25. They also have the best prices on metal travel watercolor boxes that I’ve found. On their web site, the pans and boxes are under tools, packaging, and supplies.
                                                Hope this helps.
                                                Mel

tamiea

Kremer Pigments half pans do not fit WN travel boxes. WN pans are smaller and with singly slanted sides. Kremer pigments pans are larger and with almost straight sides. Well long story short WN pan are unique in size

Minerva C

WN and Daler Rowney are about the same size. DR fits i WN boxes.

C

J.M.W. Turner

Minerva C

Viridian is hard across all brands. Soften it up which will take patience, then drop in 2-3 drops of glycerin into a cake that is really hard, then stir it up. WN tube paint will be harder than their pans as they add glycerin to their pans but not the tube paint.

The colours i mentioned are much softer as dried tube paints than in pans. I use these dried tubepaints all the time.

C

J.M.W. Turner

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.