Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Gelli Plate Printing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I have wanted to work with Gelli Plate printing on fabric. The Gelli Plate is a manufactured “jelly-like” substance, about 3/4 inch thick or so. Some have made their own using gelatin. But they can be purchased – a bit pricy but worth it to not make from scratch. They allow for easy monoprints, using acrylic paints.

Again this year I made small gifts for my young adult nephews. Dish towels with a Gelli Plate print.

VERY simple images. First time trying this. Roll the paint directly on the plate, use a blunt tip to draw, and press the fabric on. I tried both putting the plate on the fabric, and putting the fabric on the plate. In this instance, not a great difference.

Biggest trick is working fast enough so that the paint doesn’t begin to dry. In this one, the print is light due to drying. I need to get an additive to slow drying.

The difference with the Gelli Plate vs a solid plate (ie glass or plexiglass) is the softness. It lets you push into the paint, giving a more varied light/dark texture. This one shows that pretty well. Makes it look like snow on the trees!

Every small brush stroke and detail comes through. MUCH to explore with this process!

Jen

Jennifer Landau
    Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Wonderful experiments. Hope the nephews liked their gifts.

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Very interesting. Lovely work.

Christel

thanks both of you. Yes, I am waiting to get two other projects done that have a deadline, and then launch back into some gelli plate fun.

Jennifer Landau
        Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.