WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2017, 10:09 AM
Bangor, PA

Hails from United States
Smile digital watercolor

Is it possible to get a watercolor effect using Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop? I am an aspiring children's book illustrator, and a lot of the books I see have such illustrations - I can certainly achieve the effect using freehand, but I am curious about how to take an approach using digital software.

If neither of these would work to achieve the watercolor look, what other software that is compatible with Mac would?

thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2017, 06:34 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: digital watercolor

You really need a Wacom digitiser to paint digitally with the same freedom as by hand.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 AM

Hails from United States

I am not about to say anything is impossible in the digital world, however, for an easier watercolor effect, I would turn to Artrage or to Rebelle - not sure if I'm spelling the later correctly, but there the paint runs like watercolor. In art rage I use the watercolor brush and then use a few different blenders using the wet palette knife tool, that give a slight frosted texture. The watercolor is definitely wet and will blend unlike Photoshop or Illustrator. Both Artrage and Rebelle have a free trial and are quite affordable. Corel Painter is another good program for watercolor. However, it is a lot more expensive, and more involved than using Artrage or Rebelle. I find painter overwhelming - too many controls.
Take a look in the Digital Showcase for painting effects that you are trying to achieve, and feel free to ask the poster what programs they are using. People here are friendly and willing to give advice.
I'm just finishing up a watercolor of an old rusting car. I'm not sure I'm finished yet, but I'll attach it, just to give you an idea what art rage can do.
Welcome, and I hope you will tell us about some of your adventures in Illustrating.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Bangor, PA

Hails from United States

Thank you, Elaine. I love the image you attached of the rusting car-it looks very realistic. I will check into art rage and rebelle for sure because it seems that a lot of children's books have a watercolor feel to them.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Bangor, PA

Hails from United States

Thank you Doug, that is helpful to know as well.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 01:23 PM

Hails from United States

Digital watercolor is sort of a holy grail that has many different approaches, but no program or app has really "cracked it." All the same, I would like to put in a word for the iPad app Tayasui Sketches, which I used to make the below image. Although usually for best effect I need to use another one like Procreate (or Photoshop), such as to add "gouache" highlights.

Curiously... I know of no digital watercolor app that allows you to mask areas... it's as if app developers have no idea how people who use watercolor actually paint... In this app I solved this problem by creating layers of watercolor wash and then erasing the "masked" areas and simply putting another layer of watercolor below the erased areas.
Attached Images

Last edited by Flopka : 03-20-2017 at 01:26 PM.