Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Search for:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
  #16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Hails from United States
Re: Does anyone know how to distinguish digital from traditional?

Ooh, I was so sure I posted a response to this, but it seems to have disappeared.
I'm sorry that you were discouraged from painting on your tablet. I belong to an art association that is very supportive of digital. I've come across the naysayers, but in my experience, once they are exposed to digital art, and understand how it is done, they are much more accepting.
As far as zooming in to get details. I suppose that is true, but when I paint digitally, I tend to be much looser and freer than when I paint in watercolor. I don't zoom in and paint every detail.
As for analog..... I like that, but I'm not sure that "natural Material" artists would get that..... Might be fun though, to be out in a crowd, and when people start talking about oil painting, say..... "you mean analog oils as opposed to digital oils?"
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 10:05 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada
Hails from Canada

lol Yeah, I think natural materials or mediums just sounds more... natural.

Don't let anyone discourage you if you enjoy digital painting.

And yes, my digital paintings take way longer than acrylic.
C&C always welcome. Michelle

Every painting is a new adventure.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Denver, CO
Hails from United States

Originally Posted by DickHutchings
Questions like this is one of the reasons I put my tablet down and went back to canvas. After mentioning to a friend, good artist in my opinion, that I was painting in digital, he said; that doesn't count. I've had another mention how my digital painting was too good!! And I see his point.

In digital we tend to zoom in and get details that we probably wouldn't in paint. So, if you zoom in on a digital piece, you might see all the spokes on a little tiny wagon wheel where in analog, we would leave more for the imagination.

I see the ability to incorporate extreme detail in a "painting" as a benefit of the digital medium, not a disadvantage. Oil paints take longer to dry than acrylic paints do; should I forego painting with acrylics just because they dry faster than their oil based counterpart? Should I feel guilty that it's easier to achieve a smooth gradient with an airbrush when compared to a regular paint brush? Should I stop painting all together because my artist ancestors crafted their own pigments and mediums whereas I can just pick up a new tube at the local store? Each medium an artist uses has it's own set of unique pluses and minuses. The negatives of digital may or may not be the same as acrylic or graphite but rest assured, the digital medium has very real disadvantages that must be addressed before anything worthwhile can be produced.

For example, with digital I have to worry about pixel resolution because a low resolution file will look bad when printed. Resolution can be affected by processor power as well as onboard RAM so the quest for higher spec'ed hardware is never ending. Better hardware means bigger and faster performance.

Two, I have to worry about color calibration on my PC, on my tablet and how those two devices compare to each other. I invested in a professional quality light meter so I could create an accurate color profile to send to my printer. This is a very important step and EVERY digital artist that wants to go to print should own a light meter and know how to calibrate their display.

Third, file management is a big issue with the digital medium. If you're a smart digital artist then you have several back ups of your work in the event of a disaster. Remember, when it comes to digital, it's not necessarily the safety of the physical print we should hyper focus on but rather the digital file itself. If a physical print gets damaged I can always print another but if I lose the digital file then I'm screwed.

Fourth, digital files and their assets can be very large so over time they can fill up a decent sized hard drive. As a result, I spend a fair amount of time managing my external hard drives and their back ups. This is a very crucial stage if you're at all interested in archiving your work.

Fifth, a qualified digital artist needs to know and understand general computer processes. Copying/pasting files, zipping files, emailing files, collecting assets for printers, etc... An analog artist can get by with the most basic of these skills but a digital artist NEEDS to be highly proficient at them.

And sixth, the list of necessary skills required to create decent digital work is both long and difficult. From being comfortable with drawing "on glass" (iPad Pro) to knowing how to effectively use your software of choice, a digital artist is extremely skilled and should be given credit for those skills.

To summarize, I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you stop using a medium because other people don't understand it. Analog painters will never understand the digital process so generally speaking, they will always criticize it.

To the critics of the digital medium I say this... If you like digital use digital but if you like analog mediums then use analog mediums. Believe it or not, but there is enough room in the world for both mediums to exist.

Keep grinding!
I have the pictures to prove it...

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Hails from United States

Well said Vincent. Personally, after working in graphic design for so many years, I'm comfortable with the computer end of it, and even sitting at a computer - recently, an artist told me she's not. I've been drawing on a Wacom tablet for many years. The tablet to screen throws some people - I learned teaching- and many have gone to the iPad for the reason. Personally, I don't care for the iPad.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both analog and digital art. I love your statement, "there's enough room in the world for both". I have said to my local art group..... Windsor and Newton is not considering halting production.