Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Horse and rider

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    terriks

This one took longer than it should have, due to interruptions in getting back to it. :D

12×16″ Pastelmat. Sketched in graphite and sprayed over with Krylon. The first layer in the sky is Cray Pas black mixed with my student-grade Pentel black. Blended well, then Mungyos and Senns for the red clouds. Bottom layer on the top is Mungyo black and lilac; underneath the horizon line, it’s brown & prussian blue.

I wanted a very dark, dark painting. I’ve never painted a horse, though I grew up riding, so I thought I’d give it a try like this, where it was supposed to be dusk. It was fun, but really hard to photograph – I had to brighten it in Gimp to a nearly unnatural level just to show it here; in reality, it’s hard to see any details without a good light over it! :angel:

Here’s the only WIP photo I took (I forgot). But it does show the buildup of the blue and brown over the graphite sketch:

A couple of closeups, also lightened considerably:

It was fun! But hard to photograph. I can see every finger smudge and piece of lint I must remove. :lol: All comments welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

talinka

Ho Terri,
            I like this painting and the solemn mood of it. I think you did really well with all the details and I like the dark colors. You did a good job on the horse. Looks like this fellow is riding towards Mordor….

Tali

Wow, it is dark. Well done. A suggestion – take a grey version of your painting and see where your focal point is.

Christel

Rich A

Nice work Terri, and a wonderful challenge for yourself. This is not easy to get the right values. You did a great job. I like the scene and landscape and the rider. Seems to tell a story

terriks

Tali, Christel, Rich – thank you all for commenting! :)

A suggestion – take a grey version of your painting and see where your focal point is.

Hi Christel, so you mean look at it in grayscale in gimp?

The subject of the painting is the horse and rider. By focal point, are you referring to following the leading line(s) created here?

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Your painting in grey version and how I try to increase the difference in value, making the horse more noticeable going onto a road that is well lit by the moon and stars

Christel

terriks

Oh, okay, I understand what you’re referring to now. :)

Yes, this painting in its final form has very limited tonal range. It was deliberate on my part.

Here is an earlier version that sat for a few days before I returned to it to finish it up:

You may prefer this version, with its lighter tonal value for the horse and rider. They really pop against the darker background. It was my intention, however, to make this a very dark painting, in the same mode of Tonalism in general. (This painting likely wouldn’t qualify as pure Tonalism because of the palette, but as far as trying to keep the middle values the main ones throughout, plus going for atmosphere, shadow, etc., it works somewhat.)

Anyway, when I returned to the painting to finish it, I darkened the horse and rider to have them deliberately fade into the shadows a bit more.

Again, I wasn’t even going for a true Tonalism painting, just playing with the idea of a darker, shadowy palette where the viewer has to squint to see the details. It’s what makes using a real Tonalist painting as a ref image, which I’ve done in the past, really difficult!

Terri

Yes, I do like this version more, but it all goes about what you like and if you’ve achieved your goal.

Christel

Hopskidee

I like the horse’s form Terri and the details in the closeups, nice!

Mira

Hi Terri!

Oh, painting dark scenes is hard as everyone says! You did great, it does have the dark dusk feel… love the geometry of the lines – they make the eye wander around the painting… I can imagine it was hard to photograph!

Like Christel, I also prefer the version with the light horse and the rider, but it’s a cool painting anyway! :) :thumbsup:

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

terriks

Thanks for the kind words, Hopskidee and Mira!

Mira, I was tempted to leave that version alone, which is why I had taken the photo. Glad I did so I could show it as this lighter representation of the horse and rider.

But in the end, my self-challenge was to paint something dark and shadowy, and that horse just stood out like a sore thumb to me. I painted it light just to help myself get the details in since I paint so few animals, but couldn’t stand it at the end. :lol: I’m very happy with how it turned out. I’m looking across the room at it right now, and it sure is dark. Success!

Terri

Mira

Oh yeah, I can imagine that. A very dark painting gotta be dark! ;)
                                        I wish we could see the real values of the finished painting…

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

terriks

I wish we could see the real values of the finished painting…

Yes, me too! The unnatural way I lightened it in gimp to show the details doesn’t do it justice. It’s dark, but not in a bad way. I call it “handsome.” :lol:

We’re all familiar with throwing a lot of light on our some of our paintings to get a decent photo, and have the colors go wonky. Most of the time, it’s not an issue.

Terri

SarahY

I approve of dark :) It’s a very atmospheric painting indeed, dream like and strange. Well done!

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                                                \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                                                Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

MaryFlora

Hi Terri,

Your beautiful evening scene brought back many memories, but the terrain was different and I was younger!

Painting an evening or night piece seems so daunting to me. Have you done many over the years?

Really appreciate the rear view, as I think that can be hard to keep proportional…as my last sad attempt could attest!

Lovely!

Mary Flora

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.