Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting What do U use to sign your Oil Painting?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

I found this “zig” marker that says:
    -pigment ink
    -acid free
    -archival quality
    -lightfast
    -waterproof
    -fade proof
    -non-bleading

The markers come in different colors and sizes.
    (point thickness) They’re made in Japan.
    I haven’t used one yet, but I’m thinking about it.

What are some of you artists out there using??

MichaelB

i recommend a sign-painting brush and thinned oil paint. even those “pigment” markers have not exhibited permanence in my experience.

why do you sign your paintings? i don’t unless someone is taking the painting and specifically requests that i sign it.also, i generally sign on the back (or on a stretcher if its a canvas) where it won’t matter if its archival or not.

paints handmade by brooklyn artists
    contact us ([email protected]) for a free sample!
    http://store.yahoo.com/sarkana

I use the teensy-tiniest sable brush (well, teensy to me, probably not to others) with oil thinned with a touch of oil (not turps or liquin because I’m signing on a fat layer).

Over here many competitions and open shows won’t accept work that isn’t signed on the painting – you immediately go to the reject pile.I do only sign my initials so as to make the least impression on the painting. I have once been asked by a buyer to sign and date the back, which I gladly did. :)

Tina.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

Patrick1

I can’t comment on using any markers because I know very little about their permanence or bleeding characteristics.

But I always sign my oil paintings, on the bottom right. After completing a successful painting that I concieved myself and worked hard on, I can’t imagine not signing it.

I usually sign in a different color, I try to choose the color that will best work with the colors of the painting. But I learned through experience not to sign in too flashy a color, or when you look at the picture, the signature will stand out and get all the attention (obviously not what you want).

I agree. Use a very small thin sable brush. I use a little cobalt drier mixed with the color of choice. I find I am usually signing a work of art just before I havne it shot into slides, or before I ship it out to a cliet. This is why I use the drier..

I would stay away from markers that claim archival quality. Stick with the brush my friend!

Definately a brush. Don’t put anything that is not oil paint over oil paint – except damar. :D If you don’t want the sig to attract too much attention, do it one value higher or lower than the area you are signing it in. It will be almost invisible until you get right up on it.

Michael Georges
        www.fineportraitsinoil.com

For there are many who say that they have mastered the profession without having served under masters. Do not believe it, for I give you the example of this book: even if you study it by day and by night, if you do not see some practice under some master you will never amount to anything, nor will you ever be able to hold your head up in the company of masters.
        Cennino D'Andrea Cennini - "Il Libro dell' Arte."
        [/size]

Since the topic of signatures has come up, I thought I would ask if anyone has ever used a “paint pen” like the one here? I bought this thing at a local art supply store. I planned on trying this for signing my work. Not sure it’s practical. I stored it away. I didn’t even remember having it until this thread came up. The small wire device next to the pen is used for cleaning.

David
        http://www.home.earthlink.net/~campsart

"Each day I go to my studio full of joy; in the evening when obliged to stop because of darkness I can scarcely wait for the morning to come...My work is not only a pleasure, it has become a necessity. No matter how many other things I have in my life, if I cannot give myself to my dear painting I am miserable." --Adolphe-William Bouguereau

I always sign my paintings. It usually takes a great deal of thought to figure out just where to put the signature, though.

The signature is a mark of pride, you have earned the right to put your name on this collection of sweat and toil!!!!

Like a previous post above said, you don’t want to put something in there that distracts from the composition or color. It is best to plan ahead.

I usually use a color that blends in with the passage the signature is ajacent to. There have been paintings where the signature actually helps to balance the overall composition.

I would never use those paint markers to sign something. They aren’t made to last, no matter what they claim. Better to learn to use a brush, which is traditional. Do it on a dried part and wipe it off if it doesn’t look just right. Keep it up until you like it.

I almost always use a small kolinski-series 7.

I only date the ones I really like.

I also number the back in graphite example 054-0701 (#54 july 2001)

Signed,
        Scott

"Those who fail to study history
        are doomed to learn it
        from Hollywood."

My preference is using the butt end of a thin handled brush…Just scrawl your name in the still wet paint of the lower corner. A genuine thrill, I can’t imagine that painting a signature could even come close to the specialness of this.

"I would paint something and be satisfied with it for a period of time and then, foolishly, I would go into it again and destroy it. That became so painful that I stopped painting for about five years. I’d get to a place, maybe an ecstatic moment, or maybe not that good, but somehow it was concluded... Why go and mess with it? But the idea would come to go back into it, assuming that the more times I’d go back into it, the better it’d get. Well, it’s just the reverse!! It doesn’t work that way. It’s a gift. It’s kind of given to you" -Nathan Oliveira

Right now I use a very small sable brush (00). But I am thinking of having a stamp pad made from my signature. It costs about $15. Then I would just press it onto my palette, to get paint on it, and stamp the lower corner of the painting.

"Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing." -- Camille Pissarro

I use a tiny “detail” brush and try to sign so that the signature is not very obvious. I never want anybody’s eye to be pulled to my signature. I think I actually tried one of those pens on an oil painting (but it may have been acrylic) and it didn’t take. They work great for watercolors, though.

I’ve seen Bob Ross’s show, and he always signed in bright red on his green landscapes, and he signed big. Something about that just bothers me.

I've had all I can stand, I can't stands no more!
        - Popeye

[i]Originally posted by Midwest Painter [/i]
        [B]But I am thinking of having a stamp pad made from my signature. It costs about $15. Then I would just press it onto my palette, to get paint on it, and stamp the lower corner of the painting. [/B]

If there is any texture at all in your painting, a rubber stamp wouldn’t work. But even if your surface is perfectly smooth, oil paint, being a lot thicker than stamp-pad ink, would be squeezed out the sides as you were pressing on it.

I've had all I can stand, I can't stands no more!
        - Popeye

A word of advise on using those markers… on some of my first paitings I used a similar “oil paint marker” that supposedly had the same qualities of what you are planning on using, only to find out months later that it practicly dissolved with the varnish leaving a complete mess:eek:

Art is Life and Life is Art.

You know, if you’re more comfortable with a pen and ink, you could get a speedball pen and some good india ink and use that. Then go over it with some linseed oil for durability. It will last a long time, you bet.

"Those who fail to study history
        are doomed to learn it
        from Hollywood."

I also prefer signing by using the tiniest end of my brush to scratch my name in the wet paint. I like the pencil control like feeling. I never could paint letters very well especially when they are so small. :) This works pretty good for Oil but in Acrylic it drys so fast I have to sign with brush end really fast in the corner before it does dry.

Ebay Auctions
        My Stuff on Art-Agent.COM

WETCANVAS MEMBER SINCE 03-08-2000
          Problem? I have way too much time on my hands! Answer? Put it down and pick up more paint brushes!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
      • The topic ‘What do U use to sign your Oil Painting?’ is closed to new replies.