Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Painting workshops

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    TomMather

Can anyone recommend any multi-day workshops in scenic areas for oil and acrylic painters? My wife and I are looking for a trip somewhere with nice scenery and weather for August, September or October. I paint in oils and my wife acrylics. Plein air or a mix with some studio work and demonstrations, lectures. We would prefer an area that is cooler and drier than NC this time of year, but within a reasonable driving distance. Ideally, workshop would include meals and lodging and run 4-7 days.

I think you might do better with a google search.
        Usually any lodging would be separate from the workshop fee, as it goes to separate parties.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

TomMather

I’ve been doing some research with Google search and finding quite a broad range of classes all over the US. However, personal recommendations can be very helpful.

Go pick up a copy of Plein Air magazine. And Artist Magazine. There are lots of workshop listings in both, nationwide.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
            Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

TomMather

Thanks for the suggestions!

contumacious

Can anyone recommend any multi-day workshops in scenic areas for oil and acrylic painters? My wife and I are looking for a trip somewhere with nice scenery and weather for August, September or October. I paint in oils and my wife acrylics. Plein air or a mix with some studio work and demonstrations, lectures. We would prefer an area that is cooler and drier than NC this time of year, but within a reasonable driving distance. Ideally, workshop would include meals and lodging and run 4-7 days.

Some of the most inspiring scenery for painting / photography that I have seen that is in a relatively cool area in August is in Colorado, specifically Rocky Mountain National Park and pretty much anywhere near Telluride, Veil, etc. If you want more remote, pick a wilderness area and backpack in. As for workshops, quite a few well known artists hold workshops all over the Rockies.

AnnieA

Why not study with the guy who wrote the book on landscape painting? …and I mean that literally. Mitchell Albala wrote [em]Landscape Painting: Essential Concepts and Techniques for Plein Air and Studio Practice,[/em] which is a very popular art instruction book and a terrific resource if you haven’t read it. He also offers workshops – here’s a link to the two remaining ones for this summer/fall: https://blog.mitchalbala.com/classes-workshops/ (the link also has a list of 2019 workshops). I took a class from him (indoor) and he’s an incredibly organized instructor and also very systematic and process oriented. I learned a lot in his class.

Here in Washington state it does rain a lot, but July and October tend to be drier months. Usually our weather is milder than just about anywhere in the SE, although today it reached into the low 90s, which is unusually warm.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                        [FONT=Palatino]
                        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

TomMather

Thanks, Annie. I’ve read one of Albala’s books as well as his blog and like his work. That might be a good excuse to visit the Seattle area, which I haven’t been to yet. I would prefer a workshop that I could drive to from NC, due to the difficulty in transporting oil paints, supplies and finished paintings, but there are ways to deal with those issues I guess. I actually prefer the scenery out west and we vacation there often, but I usually paint from photos after our trips. The last time I carried my art supplies out west it was quite an ordeal but I did complete some nice plein air paintings.

sandman_us

You already indicated that you’ve searched the Internet for classes and workshops, but I wanted to mention this site anyway:
                                https://www.artshow.com/workshops/WorkshopDisplay.aspx?MedTheme=Acrylics…all

Best Wishes!

Dcam

Tom, you might look into adult programs in local high schools. I taught one a few years back on oil and acrylic painting.
                                    Some of the workshops commercially advertised require some advanced experience in painting.

TomMather

Tom, you might look into adult programs in local high schools. I taught one a few years back on oil and acrylic painting.
                                        Some of the workshops commercially advertised require some advanced experience in painting.

We have some excellent art classes available locally, and I make good use of them. Looking for an out-of-town workshop as a means to travel, see some new areas, learn from others and immerse myself in painting for a week.

Lauresa

Hi Tom,

Not sure if you consider New Hampshire or Maine reasonable driving distance from NC, but there are a couple of great looking ones from some outstanding artists below. Scroll down for the fall dates.

http://www.ogunquitartcolony.com/workshops.html

Also, if you make it that far north, you might want to visit master Tonalist painter, Dennis Sheehan, for one of his Friday classes. A demo in the morning and easel time after lunch. An amazing experience.

http://www.dennissheehanpaintings.com/%5B/URL%5D

Hope you find something fun!

Laura

TomMather

Thanks for the suggestions, Laura. We went ahead and signed up for a plein air workshop in the Adirondacks in a few weeks. Trying to get away from the heat and humidity in the Southeast.

ddattler

Check Facebook for Plein Air groups. You’re sure to find something within a reasonable distance or location. There are many! I know that Florida alone (Too warm for most folks that time of year) has many.

Don Dattler

http://wildlifearts.com
                                                    Practice what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know. ~ Rembrandt

In Art, Learning to see is at least as important as the actual creation of Art. ~ George Benedict,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.