Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Mixing greys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Raichu

I have a problematic picture in which I’m working the distant grey mountains and would like a bit of help on how to go about mixing the colors for it.

How do you usually reach this kind of desaturated colors? I tried mixing pure colors at first, but of course I couldn’t find it. After opening the image on krita I understood why.

This is the photograph:

I could add actual grey, but my teacher will find that blasfemous :lol:. Meanwhile, gris de payne would make it too blue. I’m triyng to find a shortcut.

Instagram <- recent stuff [URL=https://www.artstation.com/bsouzap"]Artstation[/URL] [URL=https://baghe.deviantart.com/"]Deviantart[/URL]

Alan P. in OC

Personally I use pre-tubed neutral grays for situations like these mountains.
            No problem if you don’t have them; for low-saturation colors like these, I would start with a 2 or 3/1 black/umber mix for darks; mix in white until the correct tonality is achieved.

From there, you can add small amounts of color (black/yellow makes a green that would work all over this picture) to your neutral gray piles, and you can ‘warm them up’ with cad yellow or umber, and ‘cool them off’ with white or a little blue.

Tell your teacher that gray on the palette is not a crime:). I have 4 piles of neutral grays on my palette every day.

Raichu

It is hard to find a good photograph that didn’t have some adjustment done. In my area, however, distant mountains are desaturated in roughly the same way. Could be the air that has too much water.

The smudged areas are a sketch of an adaptation I have in mind. The up close hill has too much focus there.

Instagram <- recent stuff [URL=https://www.artstation.com/bsouzap"]Artstation[/URL] [URL=https://baghe.deviantart.com/"]Deviantart[/URL]

budigart

A common way to desaturate is to first, mix the color you want using white, and the one or two other colors it takes to achieve the “pew” you want to be in. Next, having premixed a string of neutral grays, start adding the neutral of the same value as your first mix until you achieve the grayed down color/value your want.

Neutral grays can be mixed using ivory black, white and a smidge of yellow ocher or raw umber. The ratio is about one black, about one-quarter raw umber and white in steps to make a string of grays. Some artists mix strings of 9 grays, others mix 5, and some mix a string of three.

Mixing neutrals this way is a bit of a feel as your go thing. It also depends on whether you’re using yellow ocher (and which brand), raw umber, or burnt umber, as some artists use.

If you’d like to buy a black that comes very close to making neutral grays, get a tube of Williamsburg Italian Black Roman Earth to use with white to produce neutrals.

Humbaba

I have a question, why grey?, distance in landscapes is normally represented by
                        the use of blue, which gives a sense of distance.

Take a look at google images, see pictures of landscapes, this could give you an idea.

I could add actual grey, but my teacher will find that blasfemous

:confused: why?

By all means, add an actual grey! It is a very grey reference.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Dcam

Yes, if I followed all my old school advice from teachers, I wouldn’t be effective at all. Aside from the no-no gray thing was; never ever use black for anything………. ridiculous.

I’m with Humbaba on the distance thing. Use of blue or blue violet (subtle) creates aerial perspective and distance.

Aerial perspective or atmospheric perspective refers to the effect the atmosphere has on the appearance of an object as it is viewed from a distance. blue or blue violet was used in Leonardo’s landscapes.

Dcam
                                budigart

Indeed, “distance” is often given a blue cast, but not fully a saturated blue. Generally, it’s a grayed version of blue, which can be achieved by using some thing that won’t materially alter the “blue cast.” A grayed blue (often a glaze) works well.

Humbaba

Indeed, “distance” is often given a blue cast, but not fully a saturated blue. Generally, it’s a grayed version of blue, which can be achieved by using some thing that won’t materially alter the “blue cast.” A grayed blue (often a glaze) works well.

Take a look at 22:12, not exactly the issue we see above, but he is actually scumbling.

Pinguino

I think that the color balance of the original photo is incorrect. Possibly it was originally in AdobeRGB color space, incorrectly changed to sRGB. But whatever the reason, this color-adjusted image is probably closer to reality:

Color-correcting a photograph is off-topic for this thread. This thread is about is about paint mixing, not photo-manipulation.
                                            Please stay on-topic.

Thanks.

Gigalot

Mars Violet, English Red, Chromium Oxide Green, Mars Brown and Prussian blue. Such colors can help with Gray. Real Black color is also work fine.Vine Black is my favorite.

Pinguino

@stapeliad: I appreciate that photo-manipulation is not the topic, but the OP did ask about desaturated colors, and responders already wondered about a missing blue cast. The reason I placed a color-corrected image, which you removed, was to provide better targets for the mixing.

@stapeliad: I appreciate that photo-manipulation is not the topic, but the OP did ask about desaturated colors, and responders already wondered about a missing blue cast. The reason I placed a color-corrected image, which you removed, was to provide better targets for the mixing.

In PAINT. not photoshop.
                                                    There is a big difference.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.